Carnival cruise - Ebola

beshears

If handling the blood, or supervising handling the blood, of an infected person is likely to spread the virus, why did they take her blood on the ship? I assume they did it in sick bay. Were they wearing spacesuits, etc? Here we are blaming her for cruising and her possibly infected blood was drawn right on the ship, nowhere near a truly contained environment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People who know what they are doing (and I would think that the medical staff on a cruise ship would be among those people) can draw blood into tubes for testing without spilling a drop.

If this woman had definitely been exposed to Ebola and/or had been showing clinical signs, then isolation garments would have been appropriate. Given this situation, however, basic PPE of gloves and perhaps a face shield would have been more than adequate.

Yes, I'd go.

And I have to say, I totally respect Carnival's response to something that was in no way something they could have prevented or known in advance of the nurse coming forward.

They spent a lot of money to take care of all precautions possible. I'm sure the docs on board donned the best ppe possible. Perhaps she drew her own blood, double bagged it, and then dropped it in another bag? Who knows. They did all they could, I'm sure.

And I've missed ports before and I didn't get a $200 OBC and 50% off next cruise! I've never met the CEO of any company upon debarkation.

I say kudos to Carnival for turning it around.

Cruise and be happy!

Why cancel? So far only two people have contracted Ebola in the U.S. and they were healthcare workers who cared for the man from Liberia who traveled to Dallas. Btw....all of his family members have now been cleared. I am taking a cruise in 10 days and I'm more worried about catching the flu....so I am getting my flu shot this week.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by HLGW60

Ok. Again, differing news reports. And yes, in light of that information, the CDC is the irresponsible party.

I am not advocating mass panic here, but on the flip side - this is a deadly virus that, on a ship, could truly become a disastrous situation.

The hospital, the CDC, whoever was in authority, should have, in an abundance of caution, restricted anyone who had direct contact with the patient for at least the incubation period. Obviously mistakes were made since we have never had a case of Ebola in the US before or we would not have had two infected nurses. Until all medical personnel have been fully trained in the US anyone coming into direct contact with an infected patient or his/her bodily fluids should be advised to limit their exposure to others.

But it's not differing news reports as to when the CDC instituted the travel ban and it wasn't put in place until AFTER this woman was already on her cruise. She followed the rules that were in place at that time. Your first post was blaming her and she didn't do anything wrong.

As to the OP, I certainly would not and will not cancel, though I also wouldn't go if a whole shipload had been infected as another poster stated.:)