Suggestion for a new "exotic" cruise

MSBerliner

Another possible exotic cruise that my husband has talked about for a few years would be to circumnavigate Antarctica with stops in all the southern most islands and ports. He has mentioned maybe leaving Ft Lauderdale, cruising thru the Panama Canal, down the coast of Chile, Ushuia, cruising around Antarctica especially to the far side to see the Emperor penguins, then across the Pacific to the southern part of New Zealand's south island, Tasmania, maybe a few Australian ports, Cargolin islands, Seychelles, Maurtias islands, So Africa, back across the Atlantic to So Georgia island, Falklands, Ushuia, then up the coast to Ft Lauderdale.

Another possible exotic cruise that my husband has talked about for a few years would be to circumnavigate Antarctica with stops in all the southern most islands and ports. He has mentioned maybe leaving Ft Lauderdale, cruising thru the Panama Canal, down the coast of Chile, Ushuia, cruising around Antarctica especially to the far side to see the Emperor penguins, then across the Pacific to the southern part of New Zealand's south island, Tasmania, maybe a few Australian ports, Cargolin islands, Seychelles, Maurtias islands, So Africa, back across the Atlantic to So Georgia island, Falklands, Ushuia, then up the coast to Ft Lauderdale.

That's the most interesting so far. You have my vote provided you include Madagascar. I don't want too many sea days, though.:D

Holland America does part of this cruise, leaving and returning to Ft Lauderdale. It's already 68 days. I think your cruise would take more than 6 months.

I want this so we can go to Hawaii find a nice resort stay for a week or two then leisurely cruise back. :D

That would be perfect for us. DH doesn't fly. :( If it requires a change to shipping law then perhaps it is time to do that.

One of our sons will not fly and DH would rather not....

We would definitely do one-way trips to and from Hawaii....that would be a perfect vacation.....!!!

I'm not reading it that way at all.

Both proposed itineraries start and end in San Diego, and have stops in Canada. The PVSA requires that cruises that begin and end in the same US port visit a "near" foreign port. Any of the proposed ports in Canada fulfill that requirement.

Sorry but I don't think any port in North America is considered a distant Foreign Port & Canada is in North America...

The PVSA states" However, in order to embark in a U.S. port and disembark in a second U.S. port, the vessel must visit a distant foreign port outside of North America (Central America, Bermuda. the Bahamas, and all of the Caribbean except Aruba, Bonaire, and Curaçao, count as part of North America). Just getting off the ship for a visit in the U.S. is considered disembarking & there was no way we would ever be permitted to disembark Psgrs in NYC prior to our overseas destination if they boarded in Detroit unless it was an emergency..

Edited by serendipity1499

Please sign us up for the second half of your cruise, where you cross the Pacific.. We've already done the cruise around SA & into Antarctica for 68 days but would love to take DH on a cruise to New Zealand & Australia & the rest of your DH's itinerary.. I haven't been to Australia since the 70's & would love to go back there!!! Have never been to the Seychelles or South Africa either..

Edited by serendipity1499

Sorry but I don't think any port in North America is considered a distant Foreign Port & Canada is in North America...

You are correct; Canada has "near" foreign ports, not "distant".

However, you are incorrect when you think that stopping for a day in a US port is a "disembarkation".

The proposed cruises board passengers in San Diego, which is where the passengers have their disembarkation. Under the PVSA that requires only that the ship stop at a "near" foreign port.

Consider Alaska itineraries which both begin and end in Seattle. They stop in Victoria to satisfy the PVSA. All other ports are in the US.

Another possible exotic cruise that my husband has talked about for a few years would be to circumnavigate Antarctica with stops in all the southern most islands and ports.

Sign me up for that one. No need to start/end in Florida, either. I'll be happy to fly to/from South America for this one. Less need to pack as much warm weather clothes that way, too.

You are correct; Canada has "near" foreign ports, not "distant".

However, you are incorrect when you think that stopping for a day in a US port is a "disembarkation".

The proposed cruises board passengers in San Diego, which is where the passengers have their disembarkation. Under the PVSA that requires only that the ship stop at a "near" foreign port.

Consider Alaska itineraries which both begin and end in Seattle. They stop in Victoria to satisfy the PVSA. All other ports are in the US.

You may be right but the OP proposed an itinerary from San Diego, & then doing several U.S. coastal ports, before going to Victoria..I 'm not sure, but don't think that would be permitted... Wish someone like Bruce Muzz or someone else familiar with the PVSA would weigh in on this one..

Also there are exceptions to the PVS & perhaps HAL has an exception..

This is one part of the exceptions:

Quote Some exceptions have been made to the requirement of the Passenger Services Act. For example, Canadian vessels may transport passengers between Rochester, New York and Alexandria Bay, New York until such time as a U.S. carrier enters the market (46 U.S.C. § 55121(a)), and between ports in southeastern Alaska (46 U.S.C. § 55121(b)).

As of October 30, 2003, foreign vessels are also allowed to transport passengers (but not cargo) between the U.S. mainland and Puerto Rico (46 U.S.C. § 55104). However, this exemption will disappear if U.S.-flagged ships resume passenger operations of this type.[2]

Waivers from the PVSA can be requested in case of national defense interest.

Unquote

I'm not sure but think HAL would have one of the exceptions & the cruses from Sea stop in Victoria after leaving Seattle before they go to another U.S. port..

In any event, I agree with you & think it might be fun to fly to SA to board a ship doing an exciting itinerary across the Pacific to South Africa & various other ports & then to New Zealand & Australia..

This itinerary probably would be about two to three months.. Not quite sure DH & I could stay away from home that long at this time in our life though..:)

Is that a round trip from Canada? Last time I looked it started in Europe and ended in NY. Has it changed? When I've mentioned this itinerary to hal they said the same thing. It not the same thing at all.

It is 35 days round trip Boston but they allow some bookings for one way. You can sail 18 days to Amsterdam (Rotterdam) and fly home or fly to Netherlands and sail back to Boston.

How about having the VOV start in New York? It's 2 flights to get to Boston and only 1 to NY.

Two flights for who? None for me. :)

It is 35 days round trip Boston but they allow some bookings for one way. You can sail 18 days to Amsterdam (Rotterdam) and fly home or fly to Netherlands and sail back to Boston.

Two flights for who? None for me. :)

That's my point. I want a cruise from Canada or the USA, both ways. I thought I was clear but I guess not. I have zero desire to fly overseas. If I had a month to recover after it might be different. There is no way on earth I could be gone from work for 35 days. 2 weeks give or take a day or two is about it.

Edited by cruz chic

I need to agree that I also would also love a 365 day world cruise and would surely sign up for it. We are typically on HAL ships 5 to 7 months each year so for us, it would not be that much of a stretch.

But for me, as opposed to Hflors wanting to

hit every major port in Europe, the Mediteranian and the south pacific and spend two to three days in each.
, I am not particularly interested in the major cities in Europe and the Mediterranean. I would like to go to a number of the smaller cities, towns and villages on each of the continents.

We enjoy seeing regular people in various situations and learning about their beliefs and customs. We are not that into commercial tourist attractions.

…The cruise would begin in San Diego, CA the cruise north along the west coast to Victoria, British Columbia. After a day there it would proceed to Skagway, Alaska. After another day it would sail to Seward or Anchorage, Alaska. After about two days there it would sail south to Hawaii. We'd spend at least two days visiting Hawaii then sail back to San Diego…

As far as the OP’s original desired cruise, I must agree with Ruth and disagree with Betty’s objection of

This itinerary can't be done as it's against the U.S. Passenger Service Act: Psgrs would not be permitted to disembark in any U.S. city prior to going to a distant foreign port..The OP's itinerary would not be possible either as Canada & BC is not considered a distant foreign port…

IMHO, the OP’s cruise is perfectly acceptable with the PVSA (Passenger Vessel Services Act).

First, The PVSA has no restriction with passengers getting off (and later returning to) a ship for an excursion at an additional US port before visiting a foreign port. HAL has had cruises that left San Francisco and stopped for a day in San Diego before proceeding. The Present Veendam cruise originated in Boston and stopped in Ft. Lauderdale before proceeding.

Also Betty’s statement of

… Just getting off the ship for a visit in the U.S. is considered disembarking & there was no way we would ever be permitted to disembark Psgrs in NYC prior to our overseas destination if they boarded in Detroit unless it was an emergency..
is a misinterpretation of the PVSA. Passengers on a plane, would not be permitted to deplane because visits to a city while the plane is partially full and simply waiting at a gate for a few more travellers, would not be a reasonable activity and the assumption would be that the deplaning passengers were not intending to return. On a ship that is remaining in port for an entire day however, visiting the city is not considered disembarking and certainly is allowed. The passengers cannot disembark permanently from the ship, but visiting the city for the day is acceptable.

Second, while your definition of a “distant foreign port” is correct, since the OP’s defined cruise would both start and end in San Diego, there would be no need to visit a “distant” foreign port. Any foreign port, including one in Canada, would suffice because it is a “round trip” cruise.

I believe the OP’s original proposed cruise would be an interesting itinerary and HAL would not require any exception to the PVSA.

Scott & Karen

<snip>

As far as the OP’s original desired cruise, I must agree with Ruth and disagree with Betty’s objection of

IMHO, the OP’s cruise is perfectly acceptable with the PVSA (Passenger Vessel Services Act).

First, The PVSA has no restriction with passengers getting off (and later returning to) a ship for an excursion at an additional US port before visiting a foreign port. HAL has had cruises that left San Francisco and stopped for a day in San Diego before proceeding. The Present Veendam cruise originated in Boston and stopped in Ft. Lauderdale before proceeding.

Also Betty’s statement of is a misinterpretation of the PVSA. Passengers on a plane, would not be permitted to deplane because visits to a city while the plane is partially full and simply waiting at a gate for a few more travellers, would not be a reasonable activity and the assumption would be that the deplaning passengers were not intending to return. On a ship that is remaining in port for an entire day however, visiting the city is not considered disembarking and certainly is allowed. The passengers cannot disembark permanently from the ship, but visiting the city for the day is acceptable.

Second, while your definition of a “distant foreign port” is correct, since the OP’s defined cruise would both start and end in San Diego, there would be no need to visit a “distant” foreign port. Any foreign port, including one in Canada, would suffice because it is a “round trip” cruise.

I believe the OP’s original proposed cruise would be an interesting itinerary and HAL would not require any exception to the PVSA.

Scott & Karen

We have been on round trip FLL cruises when we stopped at various islands, then Key West and next day FLL to disembark. No PVSA violation.

Sounds great but you would need at least 4 days and preferrably 6 days for Hawaii. Why not make it a 30 day cruise stopping in Santa Barbara, Ca., San Francisco, Ca. and Astoria, Oregon before Victoria B.C. Also making a stop in Sitka before heading south to Hawaii.

Yes, please! :D

I need to agree that I also would also love a 365 day world cruise and would surely sign up for it. We are typically on HAL ships 5 to 7 months each year so for us, it would not be that much of a stretch.

But for me, as opposed to Hflors wanting to , I am not particularly interested in the major cities in Europe and the Mediterranean. I would like to go to a number of the smaller cities, towns and villages on each of the continents.

We enjoy seeing regular people in various situations and learning about their beliefs and customs. We are not that into commercial tourist attractions.

Also Betty’s statement of is a misinterpretation of the PVSA. Passengers on a plane, would not be permitted to deplane because visits to a city while the plane is partially full and simply waiting at a gate for a few more travellers, would not be a reasonable activity and the assumption would be that the deplaning passengers were not intending to return. On a ship that is remaining in port for an entire day however, visiting the city is not considered disembarking and certainly is allowed. The passengers cannot disembark permanently from the ship, but visiting the city for the day is acceptable.

Scott & Karen

OK Everyone I stand corrected.. I forgot that we too have stopped in Key West out of Tampa & don't know enough about it to state unequivocally that it's an exception..

Also know that Bruce Muzz discussed the PVSA in his post on this thread in July

2010..I seem to be misinterpreting his post..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1232270&page=2

Betty, you are fixated on the idea that the OP's itinerary must include a distant foreign port. That's where you are going wrong.

The OP's itinerary begins and ends in the same US port.

The PVSA requires a distant foreign port be visited when the passenger starts in one US port, and ends in a different US port.

If the passenger starts AND ends in the same US port, the requirement is that there be a visit to a near foreign port.

forget it...I just realized my stupid mistake!!!:mad:o:o::eek:

Of course, A round trip San Diego is legal as long as they embark & disembark in the same port!.. What a dummy, shame on me!! Pls don't tell DH, I'll never live it down!

Sometimes I got myself so stupidly involved just trying to figure out one little part of the itinerary & failed to look at the whole!!::o:o

Betty, you are fixated on the idea that the OP's itinerary must include a distant foreign port. That's where you are going wrong.

The OP's itinerary begins and ends in the same US port.

The PVSA requires a distant foreign port be visited when the passenger starts in one US port, and ends in a different US port.

If the passenger starts AND ends in the same US port, the requirement is that there be a visit to a near foreign port.

You are absolutely right Ruth...I was so fixated on the distant foreign port that I never even looked at the complete itinerary...I realized it as I was writing my post & starting to think about all the ports..:o:

Guess I'm tired & need some sleep..Good night all...

Dear Holland-America,

As you have read (I hope), the one route that does not now exist is that between Alaska and Hawaii! That is the theme of this discussion thread. This new cruise must begin somewhere, the easily reached and heavily populated west coast of the United States is the correct location. The newish cruise centers in San Diego (or Los Angeles) are, for us preferred ports.

To make the cruise interesting a few day visits to ports of significance must be included. San Francisco, CA then on to Victoria British Columbia (CANADA, a "foreign" country both of much interest and in accordance with the "law"). On to Skagway, Alaska (yes, the capitol city of Juneau may be included). On to the great landmass of Alaska with ports of Seward and Whittier. Anchorage, Alaska's largest city could be included. Don't forget the opportunities to ride the Alaska Railroad to Denali National Park (Mount McKinley). From Alaska the cruise would sail on to Hawaii over the North Pacific Ocean. Who knows what could be explored on the way, with so many (probably five) sea days. In Hawaii the number of ports visited would depend upon how long the cruise would prove to be overall.

Finally, return to San Diego (or Los Angeles) over four or five days. We have deliberately restricted the number of ports visited to create an interesting itinerary with a reasonable length of time. Remember, this cruise is an "exotic" appealing to the cruise lines' major customers, not for everyone, sorry. What do you say Holland-America?

Sounds great but you would need at least 4 days and preferrably 6 days for Hawaii. Why not make it a 30 day cruise stopping in Santa Barbara, Ca., San Francisco, Ca. and Astoria, Oregon before Victoria B.C. Also making a stop in Sitka before heading south to Hawaii.

That's more like it!