Bottomless Bubbles vs buying sodas individually

mintsugarcube

I know in the past, and I cant remember if it was Carnival or not, but with BB you got a cup or mug that they refilled...Im guessing they dont do that any more? If you purchase a tervis tumbler at the red frog or blue iguana bar, would they fill that for you?

You can pre-order through Bon Voyage 6 cans for $10 (which is basically, buy 5 get 1 free). Since you can order alcohol at the same rates through room service that you can through Bon Voyage, it would not surprise me if you could also order the 6 pack of sodas the same way.

Thanks for that info. That's what I'll go since I hate lugging extra stuff on board just to save a few bucks.

I agree it's a hassle.

First you barely get half a can, next if the bar is busy they ignore you. Forget about asking for less ice cause then the soda is warm.

Next time I'll lug my 12 pack on board. Scanning and signing every time is bogus -though I did find the tequila bar didn't bother with swiping. Inventory control...nah!

I know in the past, and I cant remember if it was Carnival or not, but with BB you got a cup or mug that they refilled...Im guessing they dont do that any more? If you purchase a tervis tumbler at the red frog or blue iguana bar, would they fill that for you?

It's 4.95 extra for the big tumbler, well worth it for us so my kids could use them to take off to excursions too.. They charged me 6.95 for one for my 10 year old because she didn't want the soda package, she used hers for lemonade instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fairly new to Carnival.

Are you guys telling me that Carnival uses Coke cans vs. a bar-gun for sodas ? In the Dining Room if the staff has to get a can' date=' free or not, wouldn't it take the same amount of time ?[/quote']

Most ships use cans. Someone in this thread said the Glory now uses fountains. Some Fantasy class ships, the ones with the bar in the very back of the Lido restaurant, also use fountains at that bar only.

Edited by Disconnections

Fairly new to Carnival.

Are you guys telling me that Carnival uses Coke cans vs. a bar-gun for sodas ? In the Dining Room if the staff has to get a can' date=' free or not, wouldn't it take the same amount of time ?[/quote']

no, i dont agree with that-- if you are buying a can of soda the waiter is getting a tip on that can. If you are getting a glass of soda on the soda card-- he is getting nothing so no need to hurry with it

no, i dont agree with that-- if you are buying a can of soda the waiter is getting a tip on that can. If you are getting a glass of soda on the soda card-- he is getting nothing so no need to hurry with it

But he is getting a tip from the 15% gratuity. The 15% gratuity on bar beverages is pooled across all bar servers. The only difference is the gratuity in the bottomless bubbles package cannot be removed like the gratuity in individual drinks. With the attitude of "no need to hurry with it," why should they even add a gratuity to the package if prompt and efficient service is not being provided?

Edited by Disconnections

Do NOT buy your soda card when you first get on-board the ship!!!! Wait until after the ship sails and passes the three mile international waters border. The reason? If you buy it in port you will pay the state sales tax on the soda for the entire cruise. Maybe not a big deal for a single card, but if buying multiple cards the tax adds up quickly. BTW, if buying the alcoholic beverages package the same holds true.

Do NOT buy your soda card when you first get on-board the ship!!!! Wait until after the ship sails and passes the three mile international waters border. The reason? If you buy it in port you will pay the state sales tax on the soda for the entire cruise. Maybe not a big deal for a single card, but if buying multiple cards the tax adds up quickly. BTW, if buying the alcoholic beverages package the same holds true.

This is no longer the case. Now, you pay tax on beverages ordered in a US port instead of the package as a whole.

Princess goodwills the package for you the first few hours and charges your folio after you leave American waters, therefore, no tax is billed and you're only responsible for the package and gratuity.

It's 4.95 extra for the big tumbler, well worth it for us so my kids could use them to take off to excursions too.. They charged me 6.95 for one for my 10 year old because she didn't want the soda package, she used hers for lemonade instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you...i thought there was something. Do they fill it or just use a portion of the can still? I would assume they fill it.

This is no longer the case. Now, you pay tax on beverages ordered in a US port instead of the package as a whole.

Princess goodwills the package for you the first few hours and charges your folio after you leave American waters, therefore, no tax is billed and you're only responsible for the package and gratuity.

Probably the very reason one must sign for bottomless bubbles soda now. If you get your soda poured on a hot outside deck be prepared for a flat, watered down drink when that 90 degree soda hits the ice! :eek:

Thank You !!!

I drink a lot of Coke ( 6+ ) a day so I want to know my options. RCCL is very quick with refills' date=' no signing, and have freestyle machines, all of which make the Soda Package with them a no-brainer for me.[/quote']

No kiddin'. RCCL also makes it easy to pre-purchase their soda package before departure; CCL does not. Prepurchasing means your shipboard card already has the program symbol embossed permanently on it; CCL gives you a sticker which, if wet, could slide off.

RCCL includes an insulated tumbler like Carnival's in their price, and it is chipped so that it (and only it) activates the FreeStyle Coke machines onboard. No hassles with tips, gratutiies, signing receipts etc.

And for late-night folks, you can still get a soda at 3 am, whereas you have to find an open bar on a Carnival ship at that hour.

Advantage: RCCL by a mile. A nautical mile. :D

Since the introduction of the program I've made the purchase within minutes of stepping aboard. Our cruise in September might have changed that. First some logistics:

The easiest benefit has now vanished. Prior to September all you had to do was show the sticker, order a drink and they would fill a cup and send you on your way. No longer.

Now they take your card, scan it, generate a sales receipt complete with a line for gratuity and want your signature. For adults this might be fine, for kids this is a mess.

Inventory control, gratuities, not sharing, all these things are speculative reasons, but it's become a hassle.

Completely agree. I noticed this new process on our cruise last week and was dismayed by it. Since when is an 11-year old legally entitled to sign for ANYTHING? And, it just slows down the bartenders more, which adds to their frustration at handling a non-revenue transaction, etc. In a single stroke Carnival has taken a so-so soda package and made it even LESS attractive. What were they THINKING?

BTW, if you purchase Bottomless Bubbles upon boarding and get a soda from a bar before reaching international waters, you'll be charged tax on the "free" soda. My receipt showed $0.09. :o

And no, it isn't for inventory control. The sodas in the MDR (and ours were replenished promptly, thank you Georgina!) are not individually ticketed, and there were two occasions when an open-deck bartender didn't run my card.

The benefits are ordering a soda one time in the MDR and having it waiting for you at your table every night after that assuming fixed time dining is your choice.

--Or Anytime Dining, in our case. Best MDR service I've had on CCL since 2011 on Imagination, and that ship was only 70% full.

And as others have posted juices are included. I get pineapple juice throughout the day at bars and for breakfast.

True, although the portions are smaller (8 oz. vs. 12 for sodas). Not unreasonable.

Edited by Pellaz

soda card when purchased included the tip. individual cans are 2.10 each can Soda card is for a glass full only. (dinner could be spent waiting for the second refill

The soda card cost of $6.00 per day does NOT include the tip. I can see how you could get confused by that, with how they present it in the table at this website here. Look at that table very closely and do the math on one of them. The table says "$6.00 per day including gratuity". However, it should say "$6.00 per day plus gratuity". I think that the table means that it's $6.00 per day, then they present the total amount including gratuity below. But the way it's worded can make it confusing.

Just look at the first one for a 2-day cruise for an adult. If gratuity were included in the $6, the total would be $12. But it isn't. It's $13.80. That is $12 plus 15% ($1.80) to equal $13.80. So the total cost per day for an adult is $6.90. To purchase 3 individual cans is $6.15. 3 or less per day on average, don't get the soda card. 3.21 cans or more on average, get the card. 3.21 cans is the break-even point.

The soda card cost of $6.00 per day does NOT include the tip. I can see how you could get confused by that, with how they present it in the table at this website here. Look at that table very closely and do the math on one of them. The table says "$6.00 per day including gratuity". However, it should say "$6.00 per day plus gratuity". I think that the table means that it's $6.00 per day, then they present the total amount including gratuity below. But the way it's worded can make it confusing.

Just look at the first one for a 2-day cruise for an adult. If gratuity were included in the $6, the total would be $12. But it isn't. It's $13.80. That is $12 plus 15% ($1.80) to equal $13.80. So the total cost per day for an adult is $6.90. To purchase 3 individual cans is $6.15. 3 or less per day on average, don't get the soda card. 3.21 cans or more on average, get the card. 3.21 cans is the break-even point.

Thanks so much for your break even analysis!

If you do not buy the BB or any type of soda\drink package what are your options as far as nonalcoholic drinks?

If you want to buy the BB package, can you buy it once on board the ship, say for that day? Basically pick and choose when?

And what about the beverages you are allowed to bring on board, can you bring one of those to lunch or dinner (would it be ads silly as I am imaging it?)?

If you do not buy the BB or any type of soda\drink package what are your options as far as nonalcoholic drinks?

If you want to buy the BB package, can you buy it once on board the ship, say for that day? Basically pick and choose when?

And what about the beverages you are allowed to bring on board, can you bring one of those to lunch or dinner (would it be ads silly as I am imaging it?)?

Included drinks are tea, lemonade, unbottled water, coffee. In the mornings, there are a few kinds of juices, plus more juice selection in the dining room.

When you purchase the BB, you must purchase it for the rest of the cruise, but it can only be purchased in the first 2 days. So if you wait until Day 2, you pay for one less day.

The drinks you carry on board with you are fine to take to the dining room with you. I've done that many times. Plenty of people do it. No big deal at all. I guess it's considered to be a kid thing to drink soda with a meal, but I always do. I don't drink much alcohol & I don't like wine, so it's soda or water for me for meals.

Included drinks are tea, lemonade, unbottled water, coffee. In the mornings, there are a few kinds of juices, plus more juice selection in the dining room.

When you purchase the BB, you must purchase it for the rest of the cruise, but it can only be purchased in the first 2 days. So if you wait until Day 2, you pay for one less day.

The drinks you carry on board with you are fine to take to the dining room with you. I've done that many times. Plenty of people do it. No big deal at all. I guess it's considered to be a kid thing to drink soda with a meal, but I always do. I don't drink much alcohol & I don't like wine, so it's soda or water for me for meals.

Thank you for that :) Going to need my Ginger Ale...

Edited by GalCruzer

Okay, I'm sure this has been answered already but, if we bring bigger thermal cups from home (which we always travel with) will they fill up these cups or just partially fill them with soda. I'm curious as we all drink soda on vacation. And I would rather fill them up so less trips to bar for refills.

DH and I are thinking of getting the drink package and the BB for kids so we are trying to figure this all out beforehand. UGH, why do the simple things have to be the most confusing!!!! haha