Large angry crowds on the Breeze

xSpec

One time we missed Nassau because there was a medical emergency on the cruise before us which caused the ship to arrive late. They handed us a letter while we were waiting to board. Some people were already furious. We didn't care since we aren't a fan of Nassau. What was funny was the amount they were going to refund us due to missing Nassau. The amount- wait, wait, a whole $1.99. I thought why bother. A day later they sent out another letter saying everyone would get $20 OBC. Maybe that was because some people complained, but no big, loud demonstration.

I hope Carnival doesn't give them more than they should receive. Especially since they have acted so poorly. Shouldn't reward people for bad behavior.

Sharon

We missed Ensenada during Swine Flu and only got $20.00 each in port fees. We were really unhappy but what making a scene is not ok.

Sure would have loved what the Magic people got!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by jnwinos

It sucks but it is what it is. When we took the Legend out of NYC to San Juan, St. Thomas and St. Maarten for these ports, we were beyond pissed when Hurricane Frances got in our way and changed our itinerary to Port Canaveral, Nassau and Freeport....yuk!!! People were very mad and CCL gave us all a $25 per cabin shipboard credit for a drink on them.

We have missed GC before due to weather. It would have been our first time there, but I was just as happy with another sea day. Little disappointed, yeah. But I didn't expect any type of compensation and all we got was our port fees refunded.

One should never book a cruise exclusively based on one or more ports. While 99%of the time things go as planned, there is always a chance that it will change. Especially when tenders are involved.

If you have your heart set on visiting a certain place, then you should probably just fly there. It would stink if your whole cruise was ruined because you didn't get to visit a port or do an excursion that you have been waiting your whole life for.

As far as these people go, I would throw them over the side in the lifeboats :D

yes yes and yes

I don't even get off the ship in Grand Cayman any more. :D

I didn't this last May, either. Enjoyed a nice quiet Serenity Deck all to myself. It was heavenly.

Princess Cays, Nassau, Freeport, Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Belize... those are all sea days for me now.

Edited by Disconnections

I thought the compensation given on the Magic was a bad move.

If the crowd gets ugly I think participants should be confined to their cabins until they can be put off the ship. Inciting a riot at sea could be a ddangerous situation.

Now ask me how I really feel!

I agree! But if so many are acting a fool, how do you get to them all? Carnival security couldn't even reign in one drunk on the Victory!

I think if they had NOT come through with a big compensation for people on the Magic last week, there would have been mutiny. But that was ebola, for cripes sake. Missing a port because of weather or medical emergency?? I hope they do throw the ringleaders off the ship.

I think just about everybody on this thread is missing the point.

Last week the Magic missed the port of Cozumel due to a medical emergency. As a result, all passengers were given a $200 OBC, a 50% discount on a future cruise and a refund of their port fees.

This week the Breeze misses a port due to a medical emergency and the passengers are given nothing but a refund of the port fees (as required by law).

People know that ports can be missed. However, people also expect fair treatment. Carnival set the precedent of giving large awards for missing ports. Now people just want to be threated the same as others.

How does Carnival decide which passengers to compensate and which not to compensate for a missed port. Another example of Carnival's uneven application of it's own company policies.

And for those who have forgotten, there was no Ebola on the Magic.

Edited by travler27

I think if they had NOT come through with a big compensation for people on the Magic last week, there would have been mutiny. But that was ebola, for cripes sake. Missing a port because of weather or medical emergency?? I hope they do throw the ringleaders off the ship.

The compensation offered was being advertised as compensation for missing a port, not the Ebola scare.

Edited by Disconnections

The compensation offered was being advertised as compensation for missing a port, not the Ebola scare.

And that was the mistake. It is obvious the compensation was because of the Ebola issue...possible stress caused by the possibility.

Is there verification that it was a medical emergency?

Carnival probably DID over compensate the Magic passengers, but Ebola generated and is still generating a lot of fear and media attention. The ship's homeport is Texas, where all of the American alarms generated from. So I can see why they did it.

Regardless, nothing justifies passengers acting out of control and bum rushing guest services if that's what they did. Troublemakers inciting behavior like that should be responded to with a quick exit at the next port. You still are expected to NOT be a security issue whether you're pissed off or not.

Correct. Carnival specifically stated the compensation aboard the Magic was for a "missed port of call'. Not in any way related to Ebola. Folks on the Breeze probably just want equal treatment.

Correct. Carnival specifically stated the compensation aboard the Magic was for a "missed port of call'. Not in any way related to Ebola. Folks on the Breeze probably just want equal treatment.

Nope and that was pointed out at the time but ignored. It specifically said the compensation was due to a missing port of call.

We have missed GC before due to weather. It would have been our first time there, but I was just as happy with another sea day. Little disappointed, yeah. But I didn't expect any type of compensation and all we got was our port fees refunded.

One should never book a cruise exclusively based on one or more ports. While 99%of the time things go as planned, there is always a chance that it will change. Especially when tenders are involved.

If you have your heart set on visiting a certain place, then you should probably just fly there. It would stink if your whole cruise was ruined because you didn't get to visit a port or do an excursion that you have been waiting your whole life for.

As far as these people go, I would throw them over the side in the lifeboats :D

I agree and would also point out, that while I realize this is a cruise forum, these are not issues related only to cruises.

I have been to ski resorts when it didn't snow, all inclusive beach resorts when it rained all week, and both Universal and Disney when rides, and/or sections of the park, were closed (for maintenance, stupidity of other riders, and exclusive use by Companies and Celebrities). In all of these cases, I got exactly nothing back.

While some of these are not exact parallels to cruise ports missed, they are all things that changed vacation plans and experiences. They are mostly out of anyone's control, and the ones that were decisions made by the company involved, were covered in the ticketing agreement.

It's not like the captain woke up and said "Let's just skip that spot, I'm not feeling it". Things happen when you travel. We're on vacation and it sucks when they happen, but it is what it is. Make the best of it, because that is all you can do. My whole family learned to play Texas Holdem during a tropical storm at a beach resort.

If people think Carnival doesn't care, try to get a dime back from Disney.

I was thinking the same thing when they gave out the OBC and credits on the Magic last week, that they were setting a choice they would later regret. We've been on cruises where we missed a port and only got the taxes back, people will expect too much now.