Bermuda in October

khrivnak

Im kicking around booking my first NCL cruise in Oct of 2015. Im torn between the Dawn and the Breakaway. We definitely want Bermuda and we like cruising in the month of October. Dilemma:

1) Sailaway weather. How many sea days would we lose leaving from Boston or NYC in October due to it being too chilly (any?). We'd usually like to soak up some sun by the pool the morning after sailaway. Would that happen with such a northern port or would we need to change our month of departure?

2) Which ship. Boston is more convenient for everyone to leave from (NYC would be a nightmare to leave from LOL). The Dawn is a smaller ship, but its cheaper.

3) We have only ever traveled Carnival and know how to do the Early Saver and on board credit. Does NCL have similar tricks?

Boston is more convenient for everyone to leave from (NYC would be a nightmare to leave from LOL).

Your not correct, at least where from I sit. We live in the Philly suburbs and have taken 3 NCL cruises out of NYC. Its a no brainer, it takes us 90 minutes to drive the 95 miles, easy drive and very easy to park. The Breakaway sails on Sunday's so basically driving up Sunday morning you have very little traffic

Im kicking around booking my first NCL cruise in Oct of 2015. Im torn between the Dawn and the Breakaway. We definitely want Bermuda and we like cruising in the month of October. Dilemma:

1) Sailaway weather. How many sea days would we lose leaving from Boston or NYC in October due to it being too chilly (any?). We'd usually like to soak up some sun by the pool the morning after sailaway. Would that happen with such a northern port or would we need to change our month of departure?

2) Which ship. Boston is more convenient for everyone to leave from (NYC would be a nightmare to leave from LOL). The Dawn is a smaller ship, but its cheaper.

3) We have only ever traveled Carnival and know how to do the Early Saver and on board credit. Does NCL have similar tricks?

It will probably be too chilly to do much sunning. We sailed out of Baltimore in October and didn't hit warm weather until south of the Carolinas. I used to think NYC would be a nightmare to leave from- until I actually made the drive. Coming from the north it couldn't be easier- get on the Hudson Parkway south until you arrive at the port. Given the alternative I'd choose Boston but that's a few hours closer to us and I would prefer the Dawn. Remember that Bermuda is about even with Charleston SC so the weather won't necessarily be balmy.

Edited by sparks1093

Will definitely not be a warm sailaway from either port.

Average air temps for Bermuda in October are high 80* and low 72*. Sea temp average is not bad 78*.

Super easy drive down the West Side Highway for Breakaway on a Sunday.

15 minutes and we're at Pier 88.

NCL does have OBC but nothing called Early Saver.

Have fun either way.

Bermuda is our favorite destination.

~Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

Edited by meatball_nyc

What's the best month to go to Bermuda?

To get to the port in NYC, do you have to drive right through Manhattan? We cruise with friends coming from Maine, so a couple would be coming from the North and we would be coming from PA.

Sparks: You prefer the Dawn over the Breakaway?

October will be beautiful in Bermuda! It's the sailing there that could be an issue. Not necessarily the cold weather because October is still fairly nice. But there is always a lot of rain in October. The chances of you hitting rainy days for sea days is going to be high.

I'd choose the Breakaway for every reason one would choose a newer ship. I think the Dawn is getting tired. NYC traffic is not that much worse than Boston and as pp have said, it leaves on a Sunday from NYC - perfect.

To get to the port in NYC, do you have to drive right through Manhattan? We cruise with friends coming from Maine, so a couple would be coming from the North and we would be coming from PA.

Yes, they would need to drive thru Manhattan sort of, you would not. They can take 95 to the HH Parkway and go south. You go thru the Lincoln tunnel, hang a left and drive north about 6 blocks. Don't forget its a Sunday. I would assume they would be driving down on a Saturday.

Google Maps Link, you can park right next to the ship

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7657942,-73.9984651,46m/data=!3m1!1e3

Edited by Laszlo

Yes. I've served my time on an aircraft carrier and am not in a hurry to go to see with that many people again.:)

Depending on where you live in PA, Trans Bridge buses are also quite easy, takes you to the Port Authority and then a $10 cab ride to the pier. Currently round trip from Allentown is $47/person, if 62 or over, then $25 each, even less from Bethlehem or Easton. We took an after 10/15 cruise to Bermuda and found the first sea day not too outside friendly, but the second day was warm enough, and the water temp is about 6 degrees warmer in Bermuda than at the Jersey shore. Enjoy your cruise!!

We live in Western PA (close to Pittsburgh), so we'd end up having to drive to whichever port we choose. Right now the Dawn is cheaper.

I know nothing about the NCL lines or what they have to offer. What's the difference between NCL and Carnival? Does NCL have a kids program (similar to Camp Carnival).

Are there differences in amenities between the Dawn and Breakaway that would make me want to pay the higher price between Breakaway and Dawn?

I cruised last October on the Breakaway to Bermuda (October 6th~~last one of the season to Bermuda) the weather was just beautiful in Bermuda~~really hot for that time of the year. I say the first sea day is warm and keeps on getting warmer as time goes on. I always have someone take me to the pier in NYC (simple), coming back from Bermuda on a Saturday we ran into a storm, my balcony had water all over it and the ship was a shaking, but I do not get sea sick, went to dinner that night and almost fell into a man's lap! The trip was lots of fun and the Breakaway is to die for! I have taken the Dawn before also to Bermuda in 2010!

We used to cruise on Carnival but finally sailed Breakaway last July and liked the ship and destination so much we are going again next summer.

Yes there are kids clubs. My youngest is 19 now so we obviously don't use them.

Here is a link from ncl.com with info.

http://m.ncl.com/why-cruise-norwegian/family-cruises/youth-programs

~Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

Awesome!! Thanks so much for all the information!! I'm leaning (heavily) toward the Breakaway in Oct 2015!!

You'll probably see me on the board in the near future with MANY more NCL questions. Thanks so much for all the help!!!! I'm SO excited for Bermuda!!

I have been on both Breakaway and Dawn (each twice but not each time to Bermuda - on various itineraries) and I like them both even though they are very different, but I would choose Breakaway to Bermuda without a doubt for an entirely different reason: On the Dawn, you get to Bermuda around noon on Sunday, and cannot usually disembark until after 1PM. So you lose half a day. Moreover, everything in Bermuda is closed on Sunday, the public transportation system is running on a greatly reduced schedule, and taxis charge a huge premium on Sundays. So you have half of Sunday, all day Monday, and leave at 5 on Tuesday. On Breakaway, you get to Bermuda at 8AM Wednesday (and can get off by about 9) and leave 5pm Friday, so you have truly 3 full days there.

Terry

Edited by tel2