Premium Coffee?

We're planning to purchase the Premium Drink package on our upcoming Allure cruise. However, I am a big Starbucks latte and frap. drinker. I have never purchased a premium coffee drink on board before. For those of you who like Starbucks and can make a comparison, do you thinks it's worth buying the Ultimate Drink Package. I guess, what I'm asking, is will I like the ship's premium coffees, or should I just stay with Starbucks?

We bought the ultimate package because it included Starbucks (big fans) and since this was our first RC cruise we thought "premium" WAS Starbucks. We later came to find out that our friends who had purchased a lesser package also were able to have Starbucks. hmmm. I feel like the wording with the drink packages is a bit ambiguous.

Anyway, to answer your question, we felt like the standard coffee (Seattles Best) got more weak and more bitter as the cruise progressed. So we were happy to have Starbucks. My husband (who is a total Starbucks snob) ordered a cappuccino in the main dining room almost every night and he said it was great and definitely worth it.

It's my understanding that Starbucks isn't included in any of the drink packages. Is that correct?

We had the Ultimate Package and Starbucks WAS included. (which is why we chose the UP)

My friends had the Royal Replenish Package and apparently he was able to get Starbucks also. I was peeved when I saw that his receipt was 0.00 for a frappe at Starbucks. He was surprised also. I thought maybe he had used his wife's card (she had the Ultimate package) but he did not.

I really feel there is a lot of ambiguity with the packages... and I wonder if the "rules" change based on the length of the cruise or the ship? No one seems to have an answer on this- at least not that I can find.

It's my understanding that Starbucks isn't included in any of the drink packages. Is that correct?

For ships that have an actual Starbucks on them, Oasis and Allure for example, the Starbucks venue on the Royal Promenade is not included. I have read that on ships where Starbucks brand products are offered in the regular venues, like the Café Promenade or Latitudes, it is covered.

We had the Ultimate Package and Starbucks WAS included. (which is why we chose the UP)

My friends had the Royal Replenish Package and apparently he was able to get Starbucks also. I was peeved when I saw that his receipt was 0.00 for a frappe at Starbucks. He was surprised also. I thought maybe he had used his wife's card (she had the Ultimate package) but he did not.

I really feel there is a lot of ambiguity with the packages... and I wonder if the "rules" change based on the length of the cruise or the ship? No one seems to have an answer on this- at least not that I can find.

What ship were you sailing on?

The Starbucks on Allure and Oasis are not included in any package. The Starbucks brand of coffee that is sold in The Cafe Promenade IS included.

Can you get a Starbucks latte or frapicino at the Promenade Cafe on Allure?

You can get a latte but I'm not sure that it is Starbucks brand. There were no Frappuccino's though I know other ships have them. They had, lattes, mocha lattes, chai lattes, and espresso. There might have been some others that I am not remembering right now.

Can you get a Starbucks latte or frapicino at the Promenade Cafe on Allure?

No, you cannot. You can use a Starbucks gift card on the Allure or the Oasis though.

Cafe Promenade had three of four premium coffee choices, I had a mocha coffee every night and it was delicious, but definitely not Starbucks quality.

The ultimate package is a combination of the premium package and the royal replenish package. This is clearly stated on the website, the rules do not change.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/experiencetypes/category.do?pagename=onboard_cat_dining_options

The advantage of the Ultimate package is that it also includes alcohol whereas the royal replenish package does not.

So what exactly is "premium coffee?" We were under the impression that it meant Starbucks. I wasn't able to find much info on this before we cruised.

Honestly, we feel that we could have done the Premium package instead of the ultimate, as most drinks averaged $7-$9. But I didn't want to have to think about "what I could have and couldn't have" so I splurged and opted for the UP. Now, I am wishing i would have had them add extra shots to my drinks but I didn't think about it then.

From what I gather the only difference is that you get the premium coffees and teas with the ultimate pkg. The premium coffees are the lattes, cappuccinos and espressos that they serve in the food venues, such as The Cafe Promenade and MDR. We'll be on Allure, so I'm assuming that these venues will use Seattle's Best. I've never tasted them on board so I was wondering how they compare to Starbucks. But it sounds as if there may not be much of a comparison.

From what I gather the only difference is that you get the premium coffees and teas with the ultimate pkg. The premium coffees are the lattes' date=' cappuccinos and espressos that they serve in the food venues, such as The Cafe Promenade and MDR. We'll be on Allure, so I'm assuming that these venues will use Seattle's Best. I've never tasted them on board so I was wondering how they compare to Starbucks. But it sounds as if there may not be much of a comparison.[/quote']

You could always just purchase the Premium package and then try the coffee drinks (you will have to purchase on your own). If you really like them and think you will get your moneys worth go to guest services and ask to upgrade your drink package to the Ultimate. I THINK I have read that they will even credit your account for the coffee drinks that you already purchased!

The ultimate package is a combination of the premium package and the royal replenish package. This is clearly stated on the website, the rules do not change.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/experiencetypes/category.do?pagename=onboard_cat_dining_options

The advantage of the Ultimate package is that it also includes alcohol whereas the royal replenish package does not.

Seriously? We are talking about RCI here.

We cruised in September on Rhapsody and there was no Seattle's best. It was a 'no name' brand and not at all good.....

The teas were better with other brands and selection beyond Lipton but I was very disappointed in the coffee

We bought the ultimate package because it included Starbucks (big fans) and since this was our first RC cruise we thought "premium" WAS Starbucks. We later came to find out that our friends who had purchased a lesser package also were able to have Starbucks. hmmm. I feel like the wording with the drink packages is a bit ambiguous.

Anyway, to answer your question, we felt like the standard coffee (Seattles Best) got more weak and more bitter as the cruise progressed. So we were happy to have Starbucks. My husband (who is a total Starbucks snob) ordered a cappuccino in the main dining room almost every night and he said it was great and definitely worth it.

You weren't on Allure or Oasis then.

If you are on a ship with an actual, green-lettered, stand-alone STARBUCKS, that is not included in the packages. If you want to get a drink at those places on those two ships, you will pay out of pocket.

If you are on any of the ships there will be a location like Lattetudes or the espresso place attached to Cafe Promenade, or on Vision the espresso stand attached to the Ben&Jerry's, that has espresso and fancy teas, and THAT is included in the packages.

I haven't uploaded my pictures so I can't say solidly what the brand was on Vision, but I think it was something like Seattle's Best. On Freedom in January the free coffee was SB, but I don't think it was at the espresso place at Cafe Promenade. Everything but the sign was branded as Starbucks, even down to the straws.

But that wasn't "Starbucks". Because Freedom doesn't have a "Starbucks". Only ships that have that are Oasis and Allure, and getting coffee from that location isn't allowed with the packages.

FYI - Seattle's Best is a wholly owned subsidary of Starbucks. As an old grunt veteran I am used to 'field' coffee strained thru an old sock and heated on a jeep engine. I won't complain if it's one brand or the other. We once had a mess cook leave a Brillo pad in the coffee urn after cleaning it. It was said that the coffee was outstanding that day.

You weren't on Allure or Oasis then.

If you are on a ship with an actual, green-lettered, stand-alone STARBUCKS, that is not included in the packages. If you want to get a drink at those places on those two ships, you will pay out of pocket.

If you are on any of the ships there will be a location like Lattetudes or the espresso place attached to Cafe Promenade, or on Vision the espresso stand attached to the Ben&Jerry's, that has espresso and fancy teas, and THAT is included in the packages.

I haven't uploaded my pictures so I can't say solidly what the brand was on Vision, but I think it was something like Seattle's Best. On Freedom in January the free coffee was SB, but I don't think it was at the espresso place at Cafe Promenade. Everything but the sign was branded as Starbucks, even down to the straws.

But that wasn't "Starbucks". Because Freedom doesn't have a "Starbucks". Only ships that have that are Oasis and Allure, and getting coffee from that location isn't allowed with the packages.

I agree. If you're on the Oasis or The Allure and you get a coffee at the Starbucks kiosk (it's an actual Starbucks franchise, by the way) located in the promenade, you're going to pay for it, UP or not.

• 1 month later...
FYI - Seattle's Best is a wholly owned subsidary of Starbucks.

Of course. But it didn't used to be, and they still do have free-standing stores selling their coffees. It's not like Starbucks just tosses their own coffees into the SB bags; they are their own place that did get purchased as a company by Starbucks.

I had Royal Replenish and got SB branded lattes, etc at the Cafe Promenade on FoS.

It's just that CP isn't a "Starbucks". :) You might still get Starbucks espresso products on a ship (or Seattle's Best and I'm sure there is another one out there) at the Cafe Promenade, etc, locations, but you don't get to go to "Starbucks" if you're on Oasis and Allure and get an espresso drink with a package.

This is the hardest question to answer clearly, because it's so hard to really describe. :)

And because we've all just started calling espresso "Starbucks", like Coke instead of cola, Kleenex instead of tissue, etc.

So what exactly is "premium coffee?" We were under the impression that it meant Starbucks. I wasn't able to find much info on this before we cruised.

The RCCL web site has too few details about the packs. As the ship offers a package with "premium coffee" and states that they have a Starbucks shop on board, it can lead many people to thing that "premium coffee" means "Starbucks". I almos did it, and thanks to the forum mates it's clear now!

They should provide more details, as the areas where you can use each pack (ex: I was not sure if I could use refreshments pack during meals). In this case they should state clearly in the replenish and other packs pages that it does not include Starbucks for Allure and Oasis.

BTW, due all these options, and a possible pressure to consume more than needed just to make packs worth, i chose just the Refreshments - and will have "premium coffees", alcohol drinks and Starbuchs as demanded...

On the Legend of the Seas in September, the coffee at Lattetudes was Illy. I think it was also in the MDR. However the cappucinos in the MDR were undrinkable because the milk had been scalded - you could not hold the cup 15 minutes after it arrived. The staff had no idea on how to froth milk.

I've been unable to readily find through the "search" function current pricing on Premium Coffee available in MDR & other venues. Trying to cost justify the Royal Replenish option. Also, are bottled sparkling waters included in RR? Possibly, there is a current thread that lists NON-alcoholic beverage prices that someone can share a link to.Thanks!