So Cheers is back to a flat $49.50 per day?

Rh2458

I must say.. I am also disappointed in the price increase- however, depending on how much of a drinker you are, it is still very worth it for some. I was lucky enough to take advantage of the lower price on a 7 day port intensive cruise out of San Juan in September. It cost us around $600 for my husband and I. We reached our 15 drink limit a couple days- reminding we only have 1 sea day. We never got drunk and it is fairly easy to reach that 15 limit when you enjoy some frozen drinks by the pool during the day. After looking over our Sign & Sail statement- at beer prices, not including the extra few dollars for mixed drinks because it is hard to tell which transactions are which, we drank at least $1,200 worth. With that being said, we still plan on purchasing the cheers program for our future cruises. With no smoking on balconies now, we can save more for our drinks by purchasing an inside room! :D

I love Carnival and stink think their prices are well worth it! Our last cruise was our 2nd cruise. It's a fairly affordable vacation- I never thought I would say that, but now I recommend it to everyone!

[quote name='Disconnections']The market's perception of a cruise fare on Carnival is not what it used to be and if they're unable to secure the revenue another way, we will just see more cost cutting measures that will ultimately lessen the product even more.[/QUOTE]
Pretty much any cruise line in the Caribbean. Just today royal mentioned a softening of Caribbean pricing. We have some friends on a 11 day ncl cruise that is 699 a person.

[quote name='jimbo5544']Pretty much any cruise line in the Caribbean. Just today royal mentioned a softening of Caribbean pricing. We have some friends on a 11 day ncl cruise that is 699 a person.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, but that wasn't the point I was trying to make. Holland America's Caribbean sailings are hitting as low as $349 per person, as well as the Regal Princess and Celebrity Reflection hitting as low as $399 per person with older ships going even lower. The Oasis is hitting $299 per person, but the Quantum is still commanding higher prices.

[quote name='Orison']Nor does the cheers number include applicable taxes and service charge. Again, not sure of the relevance.[/quote]

There isn't any relevance between the price of the cruise and the price of Cheers any more than the price of an airline ticket and the price they charge for baggage.

Not sure why you through the word temporary in. It was never implied as a sale or a temporary price reduction.

But what is odd if just reviewing an email I got from CCL, telling me about sales for 7 day cruises for $214 to $229, and shorted cruises for even less.

So a cruise is $30 a day, and a liquor program is $49 a day. What's wrong with this picture?

My use of the word temporary was related to the short time period during which the price was lowered. I apologize for any inference that the lowered price was originally proferred as being a sale or temporary reduction.

I just read about the new pricing on Carnival's website. I am disappointed that the per day rate went up. I was really looking forward to trying the program on my next cruise. It sure didn't take long for the rate to increase, did it? It seems like they just started the lower rates a couple months ago.

Yep, it just went down in August. We were lucky to take advantage 08/24-08/31 on the Dream. We're hoping to do the same next August on the Pride but probably not at the $49.50 PPPD.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

No it's not. In both your examples, a retail changes due to a wholesale cost change. When a retail change is made just to get more profit dollars, that causes quite a stir once it's noticed, which is why it's usually tweaked to go under the radar. A 32% increased without a cost change is quite noticeable, and someone in the CCL pricing department needs an education.

If customers are still buying it after a 32% increase, Carnival's pricing department does not need an education. They are making more money for the company which is what EVERY company strives for.

Not sure why you through the word temporary in. It was never implied as a sale or a temporary price reduction.

But what is odd if just reviewing an email I got from CCL, telling me about sales for 7 day cruises for $214 to $229, and shorted cruises for even less.

So a cruise is $30 a day, and a liquor program is $49 a day. What's wrong with this picture?

Absolutely nothing. Movie ticket costs $6 and a bucket of popcorn costs $8.

The owner of a company can price the individual components any way they choose to meet their bottom line.

Well Orison , others may say most cruises are not 30 a day but your point is still valid.

However lots of things are crazy starting with the fact that each ones of my cruise had airfare roughly

similar to the cabin price. The cost of the cheapest airfare ticket with free crushed knees and

bad air has been the same as my cabin's cost !:confused:

Also on my last Celebrity cruise, OBC and a generous drink package were included .

Deduct that out and my balcony cabin cost was just over 50 PP a day.:confused: There are a lot of pictures that are wrong.

I am confused but grateful there are such great cruise deals.:)

Edited by richstowe

True, but the port charges and taxes do not go to Carnival so the $XX/day figure (base rate) is what Carnival gets from the sale of a cabin.

They still come out of the customer's pocket and figure into the total cost of the cruise. In some cases, taxes are considerable - hundreds of dollars or more.

Well, so much for that. We were set to try Cheers for the first time on our upcoming cruise in December. That definitely won't be happening now :mad:

I understand Carnival reserves the right to change prices whenever they want, but changing them repeatedly isn't doing them any favors. If Cheers was doing so well to begin with, then they should have just kept the same price. Now, everyone who is cruising next month, next year, and beyond has no idea what the price is going to be.

This is a no win situation Carnival has to watch the bottom line and we as consumers want the most out of our hard earned vacation dollars. Undoubtedly Carnival saw a HUGE drop off in their liquor sales to raise the prices back after a few months. I hate it because we were going to try it next cruise I am not a big drinker but at the lower price it was worth trying.

This is a no win situation Carnival has to watch the bottom line and we as consumers want the most out of our hard earned vacation dollars. Undoubtedly Carnival saw a HUGE drop off in their liquor sales to raise the prices back after a few months. I hate it because we were going to try it next cruise I am not a big drinker but at the lower price it was worth trying.

Well said

We were going to try the Cheers program....looks like we're not going to now. Was only going to have 4-7 drinks a day.....they would've made money off of us because I couldn't even promise we were going to use it to break even everyday.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

Please excuse me if this was already posted -- have to admit I did not read all 200+ posts.......:o

But, perhaps this increase is the "seasonality" mentioned in the policy, since it is now approaching peak season?

Just wondering

I am the OP. And this is what I don't understand. I thought peak season or high season was in the Summer. I thought Hurricane Season and through the end of the year was low season for cruising? Which is it? Seems to me Carnival would lower the price for this time of the year to attract more adult-only cruisers. Or maybe the season doesn't have anything to do with it. :confused:

I am the OP. And this is what I don't understand. I thought peak season or high season was in the Summer. I thought Hurricane Season and through the end of the year was low season for cruising? Which is it? Seems to me Carnival would lower the price for this time of the year to attract more adult-only cruisers. Or maybe the season doesn't have anything to do with it. :confused:

"Peak" cruising season is actually winter until spring break time -- the time of year when it is cold up north and people want an escape. If you look at cruise rate, it is when the cruise rates are the highest.

Summer is popular, especially with families, but that is because kids are out of school and rates are low. "Low season" is summer through early fall.

"Peak" cruising season is actually winter until spring break time -- the time of year when it is cold up north and people want an escape. If you look at cruise rate, it is when the cruise rates are the highest.

Summer is popular, especially with families, but that is because kids are out of school and rates are low. "Low season" is summer through early fall.

That runs counter to everything I've seen when searching for cruises. Summer prices are always higher. February 2015 6 night Breeze itinerary - interiors start @ $349. The same itinerary in July - interiors start @ $709. Now I'm very confused!:p

I'm in the NOLA area and cruise from there regularly. Cruising out of New Orleans is a lot higher during the summer.

The price this January would've been $44 a pp after tax and 15%. We were looking at paying around $680 for 2 of us on an 8 day cruise... Now it'd be over $930...... Before it was 4-5 drinks a day to break even. Now its 6-7 a day, we couldn't drink that a day now. Years ago....yes! Last cruise I bought a bottle and only had a few shots from it...

Um, no.

Peak season is pretty much when school is out.

Up for Thanksgiving, Then down Up for Christmas and new Years then down. Up around spring break then down.

back up for summer then down.

This is Caribbean cruises.

seasonal cruises (i.e. Europe Alaska New England very somewhat)

Edited by Bases5

This is when the rates are the lowest... Thats why I only go during winter....