Are they going to get rid of the black smoke?

derf5585

That was as it was leaving dry dock

I do believe they are able to turn them off and on, when it reaches the states they will have to use them with the new standards. There is only so much they will be able to clean using bunker to fuel the ship.

It's the same idea with the Diesel engines here in the states where they have to use a catalyst to clean the exhaust, there are failures within that system as well

I do believe they are able to turn them off and on, when it reaches the states they will have to use them with the new standards. There is only so much they will be able to clean using bunker to fuel the ship.

It's the same idea with the Diesel engines here in the states where they have to use a catalyst to clean the exhaust, there are failures within that system as well

They probably aren't using the scrubbers because they're not required to yet. I wouldn't worry about smoke. :cool:

It's a ship with engines. It produces exhaust smoke and there isn't really much you can do when burning heavy fuel oil. It's perfectly normal. Also just because the exhaust gases are clear doesn't mean there is less pollution.

Edited by littlesteelo

heavy fuel oil generates more particles and soot and thus more smoke than distillate fuels.

http://www.greenship.org/omos/emissions/smoke/

I am sure cruisers in aft cabins do not want soot on their balconies

US Ports require clean burning fuels and this ship has new state of the art scrubbers. Soot on balconies is a potential issue; as it is with ANY aft cabin on ANY ship; this in particular has proven to be a problem with Royal and Regal Princess. Think of a tractor trailer; the exhaust stack is exiting the top of the truck; yet often the back of the trailer some 30 feet or so back is dark and soot covered; that is because it is a low pressure area for wind and it creates a vortex that sucks the soot back down. Now, if the soot is exhausted high enough this isn't so much of a problem.

Ships will generally burn cleaner fuels closer to shore and during day time hours, at night in open ocean switching to the heavier bunker fuels since it is not as apparent to guests that they are belching out black smoke. However, those heavier bunker fuels can be "better" for the engines operationally than the low sulphur fuels.

I remember when Allure went into the unscheduled dry dock earlier this year and as people watched the ship leave they thought there was a fire; nope, just had to "blow out" the exhausts; something they normally would do at night time. I also remember reading a period correct article about Carnival Holiday (near 30 years ago) and long before emissions standards of today; they were basically bunkering with road tar grade fuels and could refine it onboard to use as motive fuel. No way could a ship porting in the US do that today.

The soot and smoke is pollution, no two ways about it, but this looks no worse than any other ship and strikes me as an odd cause for concern.