Private Tour with Stanley

No Beaches Here

we paid Stanley $40 /person. There were four of us.

He does make you feel like family and even took us by his son's restaurant to see it and the beautiful private beach it is on. We met his son who is a chef and every bit as gracious as his father.

Thanks for your report, glad to hear you enjoyed your time with Stanley. Excellent way to experience STT!

Through information gained on this forum, we booked an "island tour" with Stanley on Dec. 10 and it was awesome and well worth it. Stanley was at the pier as he said he would be and took myself and three daughters on a private personal tour of the highlights of St. Thomas. He stopped at several of the best lookouts and shared history and current notes of interest. This portion was about 2 hours.

Since Stanley does work for Secret Harbour, we ended up at this small, beautiful, sheltered beach. Good snorkeling, sun and shade, great restaurant (reasonable prices, good food). Stanley offered to pick us up whenever we wanted to head back so we could stay as long as we wanted.

We would highly recommend Stanley if you would like a tour of St. Thomas highlights and beach time. You could also add some time for shopping if you want as Stanley will drop you off wherever you like.:)

Thanks so much for the post. I was able to contact Stanley this morning and booked him for our cruise in Feb. based on your recommendation and others. I appreciate the way everyone shares with one another. It makes a cruise so much more enjoyable.

• 4 weeks later...
Does anyone have an email address for Stanley? I have a group of 18 that I'm needing a tour for in March. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Call him direct at the number posted, or email the Secret Harbour Resort. But for that large a group just hire a taxi, Stanley was just driving a van when we used his services.

Call him on the number that blue posted. If it isn't Secret Harbour business, he might not get the message.

I don't see where it is posted, but it is: 340-690-4544

The front desk e-mail address would relay the message to him in the past but the response was slower...better to phone as noted

FYI, Do yourself a favor and confirm with Stanley. We were booked about 5 weeks in advance (called and spoke with Stanley direct). Excited for our tour this past week with him (NCL Getaway). We are first off the ship, look up and down for Stanley, no Stanley, called Stanley several times (no answer and no VM was set up so no way to leave a message). One hour and 45 minutes later, nothing. Asked about him at the port and no one could help us. Finally called Secret Harbor and they patched us right through to him, he said that he was not going to be able to take us. We were very disappointed to say the least, we had wasted a big chunk of time and now we had no plan for the day. It would have been nice to have known ahead of time so that we could come up with an alternate plan or maybe Stanley could have set up another driver to meet us in his absence.

FYI, Do yourself a favor and confirm with Stanley. We were booked about 5 weeks in advance (called and spoke with Stanley direct). Excited for our tour this past week with him (NCL Getaway). We are first off the ship, look up and down for Stanley, no Stanley, called Stanley several times (no answer and no VM was set up so no way to leave a message). One hour and 45 minutes later, nothing. Asked about him at the port and no one could help us. Finally called Secret Harbor and they patched us right through to him, he said that he was not going to be able to take us. We were very disappointed to say the least, we had wasted a big chunk of time and now we had no plan for the day. It would have been nice to have known ahead of time so that we could come up with an alternate plan or maybe Stanley could have set up another driver to meet us in his absence.

That just scares the be-jeezies out of me. We are to tour St. Thomas next Monday. Looks like I will be making a confirmation phone call to him. I think I'll wait until Thursday or Friday so it's closer to the date And I think I'll wait until late afternoon in case he is out with a group. Just don't know what we'll do if this fizzles.

How many in your group, Kruisin Karen? You may be able to arrange a private tour at the dock if Stanley doesn't show. If there are only 2 of you, it may not be doable. Try to post the morning of if Stanley doesn't show.

We got off the Regal yesterday. I booked our tour with Stanley about 2 weeks before the cruise and then confirmed 2 days before leaving for the cruise. He said he'd meet us at the gate where you walk off the ship. I walked around for 45 minutes asking people if they were Stanley but nobody knew what the heck I was talking about. We finally just took a different tour but I was pretty ticked off he didn't show.

If you have a private driver meeting you, make sure to get their taxi number (which is on their license plate) and phone number. Most taxi drivers have cell phones and *should* be easy to contact.

As an aside, the entire taxi industry in the Caribbean is a hot mess. It exists not for the customer, but for the driver. One association is given the "rights" to pickup fares at the airport and cruise ship dock, where the real money is made. Others are associated with the ferry dock, various hotels, and some just troll around yelling, "Back to the ship!" Plunker, we had the same problem in Antigua. We had contacted a driver (relative of someone we know) and he was not there at the gate. Turns out he is not in the preferred association. By a stroke of luck a buddy of his was wandering around,also trolling for fares, but was kind enough to walk us to the area he was assigned to.

One other comment,it is not unusual for drivers to double book,as there are a hundred reasons a customer may not show up at the appointed time. Not making excuses for them, it is an industry fraught with problems. And because they are a politically important group, no real solutions appear forthcoming.

• 3 years later...