Bingo Cards: Dabber needed?

lpisarski

We went on a princess cruise several years ago and we had to buy the dabbers for the bingo cards. We will be going on the Crown princess this week. Does Princess still require players to use the dabbers (ink)?

My wife is an avid bingo player. She tells me that you are not required to use a dabber. She says many players just use a pencil to mark an XX on the called numbers they may have on their cards. The only rule is that what ever you use to mark the card not cover the number so that it cannot be easily read.

My wife is an avid bingo player. She tells me that you are not required to use a dabber. She says many players just use a pencil to mark an XX on the called numbers they may have on their cards. The only rule is that what ever you use to mark the card not cover the number so that it cannot be easily read.

That doesn't really matter on the ships that are using electronic bingo machines. They just type the number of the card into the system and it confirms if it's a winner or not.

I save my dabbers from the previous cruise. Never have a problem using them again. I think if I was going to use a pen I would want something brightly colored. Black on black numbers might be hard to see but that's just me.

Assuming the cruise system is a commercial calling machine, the staff doesn't need to verify any of your numbers on the card. There is a serial number in the center of the card that is typed into the machine which validates that you hit all the numbers. Works on either paper or electronic boards. While it feels good to mark the numbers, you really don't need to.

This is part of the security system for cards that prevents you from bringing your own cards to the game. Prior to the game start the caller enters the lowest and highest card numbers that were sold. Any card outside that block is invalid.

Question - if you DON'T mark the numbers, how do you know when you have bingo?

I usually circle the numbers leaving them fully legible for verification should I win. Never had a problem, even the die-hard bingo fanatics agreed it was a practical way of doing it. And I'm a very basic level Bingo player with limited eyesight. Enjoy it, but don't get to play very often.

Crochetcruise. :cool:

Last cruise, my DH used a highlighter at Bingo. It worked like a charm! We also used the highlighter to mark events we wanted to participate in on the Patter. A highlighter fits the bill.

I think I am going to also throw in a couple of different colors for variety.

Last cruise, my DH used a highlighter at Bingo. It worked like a charm! We also used the highlighter to mark events we wanted to participate in on the Patter. A highlighter fits the bill.

I think I am going to also throw in a couple of different colors for variety.

With gratitude for your cleverness, I am going to pinch that idea! It would solve the hassle of scanning through the Patter to check the time of something I'm interested in!

Many thanks.

Crochetcruise :cool:

With gratitude for your cleverness, I am going to pinch that idea! It would solve the hassle of scanning through the Patter to check the time of something I'm interested in!

Many thanks.

Crochetcruise :cool:

Haha! Pinch away.....the other advantage is there are no worries about that Bingo dauber leaking in your suitcase if you reuse one from a previous cruise. I would be horrified to have all red or blue spotted clothes to wear. :eek:

Another hint: I pack a magnet that has a clip, like I use on my refrigerator at home, to hold all my important papers....shore excursion tickets, final transfer tickets to the airport. You know stuff that tends to fall under or behind the bed or night table. I never have to worry about where they are.

I also take a page from a calendar to display on the wall. I write where we will be each day, any excursions that we have, and formal/special nights on it, for reference. Highlighter comes in handy for marking "not to miss" events on my wall calendar.