Dress Uniform

Fireplug

I asked this question last fall but cant seem to find it. So I will ask again.
I am planning on wearing my Fire Department dress uniform on the Coral for Formal and semi formal nights. I know military uniforms are worn sometimes. Will this be acceptable attire?

SQUID

coral Princess 8-04
Disney Cruises 3 + Sept 14th 4 day
RCCL in Jan '93

Hi[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] oh yes...I think your uniform will be just fine!
Is there more than one type of Fireman's attire? Such as a dressy one?...that is a sincere question, I was thinking most of the time we see you in heavy garb!

Next up...HORIZON Sept 18th to Bermuda!

See My Century and Mercury Pictures at:
[url="http://community.webshots.com/user/lovescruising"]http://community.webshots.com/user/lovescruising[/url]

I quite agree! A dress uniform would be perfect!

[img]http://www.bensleyraceteam.com/Ani_Gif_Images/bookworm2.gif[/img]

Navigator OTS 10/04
Legend 04/04
Grand Princess 09/03
Dawn Princess 01/03
Enchantment OTS 10/02
Destiny 01/02
Sensation 08/99

[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]I have a lot of respect for all you Firemen and Police Officers and most of you look pretty sharp in your dress blues. However, I have been on 20 cruises on 4 different cruise lines and the only uniforms that I have seen are cruise line officers and American Military....I don't know if the occasional Scot in a plaid skirt counts...some of them do wear medals on their jackets.

So Fireplug, I guess it is your call...have a great cruise!

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the opinions. I know that I have not seen many other uniforms either, but I think I will still wear it. We are going with another firefighter and wife and he is wearing his also so there will be two of us. My wife thinks it is a good opportunity for formal pics and I agree.

Squid

coral Princess 8-04
Disney Cruises 3 + Sept 14th 4 day
RCCL in Jan '93

We had a Canadian naval officer at our table wearing his dress uniform on formal night.

Incidentally we learned a lot about the ship and the ocean on that cruise.

Dan & Marlene

NCL Southward 04/92
Star Princess 05/95
HAL Westerdam 09/96
Norway 02/03
Constellation 04/04

Our son is a Marine and wore his dress blues on our cruise last Thanksgiving and is planning to wear them again in December. Even though he took his cover (hat) he did not wear it once, even for the pictures. Probably won't take it this year. Go for it!

Celebration - 9/99
Inspiration - 12/00
Jubilee - 10/02
Elation - 11/03
Elation again - 12/04
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;12;12;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0600[/img]  until the Elation

• 3 weeks later...
I'm not sure why anyone would wear their work clothes on a cruise, but since I don't personally know anyone who's a firefighter, maybe it's a fashion trend I'm just unaware of.

That said, I just got home from our cruise yesterday and on a ship of 2600 passengers, I did not see anyone wearing a firefighter or military uniform.

But, it's your cruise. Wear what makes you happy and proud.

Jane

I have a friend who's a female firefighter and she doesn't wear her uniform on cruises.
I agree with Jane110, I didn't see any uniforms on our cruises either (other than the cruise line officers)
Probably a nice change to not wear it since you have to wear a uniform to work everyday.

This will be my dress uniform and not a work uniform. Dress jacket and pants,white shirt, tie and patent leather shoes. Thanks for all the thoughts. I am still looking for further thoughts out there.

Squid

Dear Rita,

Let your husband wear what he wants, as long as he wears formal for formal and coat for casual nights. It really is too bad about the uniform because many of us who are ex military enjoy buying drinks for our active duty military
shipmates and their wives. Military veterans should not have any problems understanding ship dress policy.

Your dress uniform is fine for formal nights. I don't think there is an informal equivalent. In the military there are Class As if you wear your dress blues on formal nights. But the only informal wear are Class Bs and those are never for "required" formations, etc. They are worn in places where "fatigues or BDUs" would be inappropriate, say, doctors in a stateside hospital, some MOS schools, office staff at the Pentagon, etc. I say go ahead for formal nights but informal nights are IMHO that, informal.

Hi, Silver and Jane,
Just so you know, we former military and retirees Really enjoy seeing our peers in the dress uniforms as well as the Formal uniform. I am USNR retired and like to see all the uniforms as we are a Proud Lot. ;)
My daughter was a Lieutenant and we drilled together in the same unit. As an Officer, she was invited to the Annual Ball. You were to wear the Formal Evening Dress, which is different from the Class A or Dress Blues. It has a long black skirt for ladies. :rolleyes:
A Class A or Dress uniform would not be considered Formal. However, I still consider it would be appropriate if one does not own the Formal Uniform. :p
I also enjoy seeing men (Or women) in their Dress Kilts (My being Scots-Irish).

FIREPLUG: Please wear your Dress Uniform. You will be Greatly Admired and many Military will appreciate seeing you in it. :D

Yes, there are uniforms for almost all military occassions from coronations of heads of state to the most formal of white house dinners. There are mess whites and mess dress (black that you describe). I was saying that if you wear dress blues for formal niights the informal nights you could probably get away with class A's especially if you're enlisted. Class B's, like fatigues, are not for wear except at your duty station.

And some may not be wearing their uniforms for a reason. I was in Germany and Italy during the early to mid '80s. We were basically told to leave uniforms on base when going on leave in Europe due to terorists. They were targeting Americans so why stand out? I think it depends on where you are cruising and your commands policy.

We were just on the Carnival Glory & Caribbean Princess and saw several uniformed men. Everyone seemed proud of them and were aways shaking their hands and thanking them. Your Class-A uniform, as you discribe it would be very appropriate to wear to any formal gathering. I wish I were going on your cruise, as I would wear mine too. * Wear it with Pride! * Bombero, Capt, Retired

1985 Carnival Carnivale
1986 Carnival Festivale
1987 Chandris Galileo
8/01 Holland-America Maasdam
10/01 Ocean Princess
4/02 Golden Princess
9/02 Celebrity Millineum
11/02 Celebrity Horizon
9/30 30 day land trip (Costa Rica)
4/04 Carnival Glory
6/04 Caribbean Princess
10/04 Still shopping