Please help us decide - cabin 6135 or a GTY Suite on Millenium?

karensc

Hi, we usually get at least a balcony cabin and often concierge class. This next cruise we booked C1 6135 on the Constellation for the 9 night Caribbean itinerary because of the much larger balcony and reading that the service may be a tad better because of being in "suite land". We love the balcony. Have been checking prices and looking for a possible upgrade to a suite. Right now the guarantee suite may be affordable but having never had a suite, we are concerned about ending up with a smaller balcony but paying more for the cabin. Does anyone have any advice on this since we love the balcony so much? The price difference today was a bit steep so we would wait and watch in case it keeps coming down. Trying to get prepared so if we need to pull the trigger we can do so fast.

Sorry my title says Millennium but we are on Constellation. Millennium for Alaska next July, which is why I am confusing the two!

Thanks for all of the expertise!

Edited by karensc

I've been in 6135 before and as nice as it is I'd jump on the suite if the price is right. On our next cruise the suite gaurantee is a great deal but I'd have to give op our perks. Not willing to do that and pay more. If i didn't have to give up the perks I'd jump on it even though i currently have a great balcony.

I've been in 6135 before and as nice as it is I'd jump on the suite if the price is right. On our next cruise the suite gaurantee is a great deal but I'd have to give op our perks. Not willing to do that and pay more. If i didn't have to give up the perks I'd jump on it even though i currently have a great balcony.

Ditto.

We've been in both 6135 and a sky suite. if the price is close go with the ss, although it only has some. but not all of the suite perks. If the price differential is large, stay with 6135 , which has a larger balcony but is a smaller room.

i'm guessing your one the 9 night 11/29 Connie sailing (there are only 2 9 night sailings this season and the other has no Suite GTY open now...)

Looks like the Suite GTY is open on it, and only Celebrity Suites ONLY exist for booking outright as far as suites go. There are 2 per deck as they are on the rounded out area opposite the glass elevators midship.

Celebrity suite is nice (I prefer to Royal on M class) and will include Michaels club access (sky suites wouldn't), however the veranda is very small, no lounger. The verandas were added during the last return 2 or so years ago. I was able however to get my butler to bring me a pool lounger when I asked.

So since you love the veranda, I'd probably not risk it.

Of course with a GTY anything can happen between now and then, but at this moment no other suites are available for sale.

We were recently in a similar boat... Upgrade to a Sky Suite GTY or stay put in an Aqua we chose (again bigger balcony)

We decided that for the difference in money, the GTY was not worth it cause of the unknowns / worse case scenario (when you take a GTY you have to be ok with the worst possible outcome for the class category)

Now if we had not been in an awesome cabin we handpicked due to location then I would have most certainy gone for the GTY Upgrade

Question... Are you truly happy with 6135 (I hear a bit of trepidation in your post). This would be one of my last choices for a C1 on an M-Class Ships due to being sandwiched between two Royal Suites & having a connecting door (noise & privacy). By all accounts 6143 & 6144 are the prime C1s in "Suitesville".

So if I had 6135, ya I would probably go for the Sky GTY if the price was manageable. Nice perks comes with Suites Class no matter what level you are at (although more come at Celebrity Suite & above levels)

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Question... Are you truly happy with 6135 (I hear a bit of trepidation in your post). This would be one of my last choices for a C1 on an M-Class Ships due to being sandwiched between two Royal Suites & having a connecting door (noise & privacy). By all accounts 6143 & 6144 are the prime C1s in "Suitesville"...
This once again goes to show how each person's experience can be different.

It looks like you were very unhappy with your experience in 6135, while we loved ours in 6136.

We never heard a sound from the adjoining royal suite during our entire cruise. We didn't even think it was occupied, but our stateroom attendant told us it was.

While 6144 was also nice, we preferred our stay in 6136 because it is located closer to the stairs and elevator and also because its balcony is private.

The balcony of 6144 had an unlocked connecting doorway to an adjoining service hall, so we needed to keep the door to our balcony locked.

To the OP, I would keep 6135, one of the very best concierge cabins on the ship, unless you can get a really good deal on a suite.

But if booking a suite guarantee, look over all the possible suites you might end up with to see if there are any that would be objectionable to you.

Karen, you have an excellent cabin in Suiteland with a great balcony. I doubt that the prices for suites will drop much before we sail. So it depends on whether or not you want to pay more for a suite and take a chance on the balcony it might have. If, indeed, the celebrity suites are the only ones available, those balconies are very narrow. They're long but narrow. The other thing to be aware of is that you need to climb over a very high tub side to get into the shower. I don't know about you, but that's a problem for me. I'm used to a separate tub and shower.

Regarding 6135 - now maybe we just had bad luck - but we found that being in 'suite-land' didn't serve us well. Because of job cuts the cabin attendants gave us very poor service because they were so busy serving the suites and we were always an afterthought. We were on a 2 week sailing and were neglected of the usual service of having the canapes delivered or ice in the bucket. This is going back about 6 yrs. ago. The balcony is large and has a teak floor. When we were there we had loungers, chairs, a table and a small table on the balcony, but I understand that they do not allow this cabin to have loungers any more.

Thank you to everyone for your replies and input. We definitely want a larger balcony as we enjoy being on it and relaxing, versus always going to the pool deck to relax. My husband is very hard of hearing and having to deal with noise from a crowd is difficult, so we need to have peaceful breaks on the balcony. We were just intrigued by the possibility of being able to afford a suite, which we have never done. After thinking through everything, we are going to stay with 6135, and take the chance that we "may" have noisy neighbors.

Thanks, again, it is great to get the benefit of so many much more experienced cruisers!

Karen:)