Itinerary Opinions Please

Maineac

We have booked our first Seabourn cruise, an 18 day "Gems of Western Europe" May 12 2015. In doing more research on the ports of call, I'm questioning the amount of interest/activities some of these destinations hold.

I realize that this is a very subjective question, but I would value your opinions on the itinerary.

The cruise commences in Barcelona where we intend to spend three days before embarkation.

These are the other ports of call in order....The first 7 ports are the ones I'm most concerned about.

Gibraltar

Portimao, Portugal

Lisbon

Leixoes (Porto) Portugal

A Coruna Spain

St. Helier Jersey

Cherbourg France

Rouen, France

Brussels-----No worries here

Amsterdam---No worries here

Travemunde (Lubeck)

Copenhagen

We love to cruise and are of the belief that the ship is a destination unto itself......Just want to have a nice balance.

We have booked our first Seabourn cruise, an 18 day "Gems of Western Europe" May 12 2015. In doing more research on the ports of call, I'm questioning the amount of interest/activities some of these destinations hold.

I realize that this is a very subjective question, but I would value your opinions on the itinerary.

The cruise commences in Barcelona where we intend to spend three days before embarkation.

These are the other ports of call in order....The first 7 ports are the ones I'm most concerned about.

Gibraltar

Portimao, Portugal

Lisbon

Leixoes (Porto) Portugal

A Coruna Spain

St. Helier Jersey

Cherbourg France

Rouen, France

Travemunde (Lubeck)

Copenhagen

We love to cruise and are of the belief that the ship is a destination unto itself......Just want to have a nice balance.

Gibraltar ... okay for a one day visit but not for any longer. We walked off the ship and down the main street. It feels like a small town in England but with nice weather. Worth doing ...... take the cable car up the peak. The views are stunning and you also get to see the apes. Beware, however, they are expert pickpockets so make sure you have no food with you. Back down again, the Trafalgar Cemetery is well worth a visit and a wander around.

Portimao. Two aspects to this port. 1) the town of Portimao itself which has a couple of shopping street and a couple of churches but not much else. Nice to walk around for an hour or so. And ... 2) Praia de Luz which is a resort area. Lots of tourist shops, pubs, eateries and a nice beach and a nice boardwalk. You can do both in the same day.

Lisbon. One of my favourite city and lots to do and see. If you have not been before, walk up the hill to the old part of Lisbon and the fortress. The walk down the other side and into the city. Another great trip is to Belem and the Geronimo Monastery. Alternatively take a tour to Sintra and its royal palaces.

Porto. Nice city but all hills. Visit the cathedral and walk down to the riverside. Maybe take a river boat trip which is fun. There is a funicular which takes some of the pain out of the walk back up. Near where the shuttle bus drops you is the bird market which is worth a visit.

La Coruna ... the local tourist office (on-board) gave us a map which had a walking tour of the city. A long walk but really great if you are fairly fit. Took in the old part of town, the fortified entrance to the harbor, the famous lighthouse, the beaches and the main shopping area.

Cherbourg. We stopped there but took a tour to Mont St. Michel. Those who stayed around town said they really liked it. Do drink the local hard cider. Cheap, tasty and refreshing.

St. Helier. Haven't been there since 1987. Good for shopping I am told.

Rouen. The sail down the River Seine is amazing. We overnighted in Rouen so, Day 1, we took a tour to the Normandy Beaches. Day two (morning) we took the shuttle into town. It is a very pretty town with an incredible cathedral and other interesting and old buildings. Unfortunately, it was raining when we were there ... our only rainy morning.

Copenhagen. My first visit other than the airport. Really enjoyed it. Walk into the centre along the waterfront, past the little mermaid (which is very little), the English church and the Royal Palace. Once in town you can buyt a guided boat trip for around $25/each which is great value andf a great way to see the city.

Hope this helps.

I would get off the ship in Lisbon,Brussels,Amsterdam and Copenhagen.

I would stay on the ship for the rest of the ports.

Don't worry I can say this as I have been to all of the ports many many times.

The ship does become the destination if you have cruised a lot.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Owner's name is Delfim not Mike.

If you email him- he corresponds back right away.

He will pick you up at the dock! Everyone from our cruise who was at the dock,

Wanted to know how we found that tour!

If the tour to Monet's home and gardens in Giverny is offered, I recommend it highly. When they are blooming the water lilies are as beautiful as the painting. And the kitchen alone is worth the visit!

Roxburgh, thank you for your detailed information, you have eased my mind!!!

dafne and Winner, thank you as well for your suggestions.... They do offer an excursion to Giverny from Rouen, which is an overnight stop for us, so that would be perfect.

Cheers,

Here are some other options:

Portimao -- we have been there twice on SB. The ship conveniently docks between the beach resort area and the charming old town. In the old town there is a lovely promenade along the water ( SB runs a shuttle to town but seriously is is so close and safe to walk you don't need to use it unless you are infirm) that begins at the Sardine Museum and ends at the bridge over the river. If you love grilled sardines this is the place. The best restaurants are the little ones just beyond the bridge. If you like walking, this last time we first walked into town, walked over the bridge and back along the river on the other side until we came to the charming little village of Ferrogudo -- quite picturesque( took about an hour to walk there).

Lisbon -- If you have not been there before you can walk up to the Castelo Sao Jorge, around the Alfama and the downtown area as well as take the trolley 15 minutes to Belem to the Monument to the Explorers, the Monastery and THE best pace for the famous custard tarts.If you have been there before take the train the short ride to Sintra or hire a tour company to take you to Fatima further away.

a Coruna -- While we have enjoyed wandering around there on our own, this last time we were with friends who had not been to Santiago de Compostela so we hired a taxi at the port and he drove us there (40 minutes on a Sunday morning), waited a few hours for us to show our friends around, visit the Cathedral Museum and attend the Pilgrims Mass so we could see the giant botafumiero being swung by 8 strong men, then drove us back to the ship.

St. Helier -- A five minute walk from the ship at Liberation Square you can take the Jersey War Tunnels and Museum open air bus the 15 minute ride to the Museum and Tunnels. It is fascinating to see and hear about life under the German occupation.

Cherbourg -- If you have already visited the further away D Day sites you can easily rent a car an drive a half hour to St Mere-Eglise where the war started. The Museum has just been expanded and is very much worth a visit. (Remember the movie The Longest Day?)

Rouen -- There is quite a bit to see right in Rouen -- called the Town of a Hundred Spires. Of course many people associate it with the Joan of Arc. She was burned at the stake there and a church was built on that spot.

Just another comment .....

According to your itinerary, your ship docks in Antwerp (for Brussels). However, Antwerp is well worth the visit in its own right. It has a magnificent cathedral with some great art works in it, a lovely town hall and a nice old town which is very walkable. It also has a lot of shopping. And the ship will dock right in front of the old town.

I can only comment on the ports in the first part of the cruise. Have all visited the others, but all a long time ago!

Gibraltar

There isn’t a lot to see. It is a long boring walk from the dock to the centre of town. A ship’s tour will use a small minibus, and take you to the southern tip, up the rock to some view points and the apes and then through the (quite lovely) caves.

Portimao

Agree that there is a nice walk from the dock to the little town centre and beach. There is often a ship tour to Lagos – interesting for the history – little museum and pretty town

Lisbon

Wonderful city. Usually a shuttle to the centre of town. So much to do and the metro is easy to navigate. Gulbenkian museum is wonderful. The sights in Belem are also great, but very busy if big ships are in town.

Leixoes (Porto) Portugal

This is on the coast, not on the river. But only a short trip in (20-30 mins), and there should be a shuttle. You need much more than one day to see all of Oporto properly. Cathedral, churches with azaleas tiles, the Borsa, river trips. And port tastings over the river. If it is your first trip, it might be worth doing a ship’s tour, which will include either a river trip and a port house tour/tasting or visit to the cathedral etc. and a port tasting.

A Coruna Spain

The bit of the town near the docks is lovely, and well worth a walk around. And you are near the tower of Hercules – a Roman lighthouse still in existence. But the main reason to be in A Coruna is to go to Santiago de Compostela. It is an hour+ drive, and it is always crowded. But it is one of the places that you must visit once in your life.

• 2 weeks later...
I can only comment on the ports in the first part of the cruise. Have all visited the others, but all a long time ago!

Gibraltar

There isn’t a lot to see. It is a long boring walk from the dock to the centre of town. A ship’s tour will use a small minibus, and take you to the southern tip, up the rock to some view points and the apes and then through the (quite lovely) caves.

Portimao

Agree that there is a nice walk from the dock to the little town centre and beach. There is often a ship tour to Lagos – interesting for the history – little museum and pretty town

Lisbon

Wonderful city. Usually a shuttle to the centre of town. So much to do and the metro is easy to navigate. Gulbenkian museum is wonderful. The sights in Belem are also great, but very busy if big ships are in town.

Leixoes (Porto) Portugal

This is on the coast, not on the river. But only a short trip in (20-30 mins), and there should be a shuttle. You need much more than one day to see all of Oporto properly. Cathedral, churches with azaleas tiles, the Borsa, river trips. And port tastings over the river. If it is your first trip, it might be worth doing a ship’s tour, which will include either a river trip and a port house tour/tasting or visit to the cathedral etc. and a port tasting.

A Coruna Spain

The bit of the town near the docks is lovely, and well worth a walk around. And you are near the tower of Hercules – a Roman lighthouse still in existence. But the main reason to be in A Coruna is to go to Santiago de Compostela. It is an hour+ drive, and it is always crowded. But it is one of the places that you must visit once in your life.

Tsavorite - sorry to go off topic but love your name - it's my wife's favorite stone

Gibraltar

Portimao, Portugal

Lisbon

Leixoes (Porto) Portugal

A Coruna Spain

St. Helier Jersey

Cherbourg France

Rouen, France

Travemunde (Lubeck)

Copenhagen

DSC_3730-2-XL.jpg

The tower of Hercules to me was the most interesting thing near the city.

Jersey IIRC is someplace thats very hit or miss due to weather (we missed it:mad: but our captain was rather odd - one place was too rough to dock so we tendered instead:confused:).

In Lisbon we did a little research in advance and decided to go to the Jeronimos Monastery in Belem. We walked part of the way from the ship and then hopped on a tram. The monastery was very impressive, and well worth visiting. As a bonus, just a few hundred yards away is the shop 'Pateis de Belem' which makes the most divine little custard tarts! The shop is very old and characterful, but be prepared to queue / stand in line for a short while. That just gives an opportunity to take some photos! The little tarts (popular throughout Portuguese-speaking countries) are known everywhere as pasteis de nata, and can be found in every little café or big food store, but these are simply the best! We took a little tube of them back to the ship, and really enjoyed them.

We also took one of the old trams (original, wooden carriages) to the old part of the city, with a great viewpoint over the shore. We didn't hang around there too long, it wasn't the greatest part of town!

386070224_P1190259(600x400).jpg.fb0de7510bc5339f40f3b18ee4764f75.jpg

2025582923_P1190274(600x400).jpg.942d69276b89fd903c51b5aad8874f4f.jpg

1121584956_P1190360(400x600).jpg.ddd2312f3ec36e8c0523adda8545cecd.jpg

1931973902_P1190423(600x400).jpg.bf358553f3b3bca0781e769b8a2e23b2.jpg

I would agree with others about Gibraltar, it's not a particularly exciting place. There is a small high street, with some stores of British chains (including Marks and Spencers!) and lots of jewellery and camera shops, which display signs saying 'special discount for passengers from XXX ship' - which suggests that prices bob up and down depending on how much they think your ship's demographic will pay!

We walked through the town to the cable car, and met the first of the Barbary apes almost exactly at the old town gate! There is a very good view from the top of the cable car and you will see plenty of apes at several levels. You will see them sitting, playing, interacting with each other, fighting with each other - and stealing! They are VERY nimble fingered and will steal anything they think has food in it. They have learned that plastic bags often contain food goodies and will target these, although we did see one poor lady have quite a tussle to hold on to her large leather shoulder bag! So, don't take any plastic bags with you, and save your shopping for the way back! The best bit we found was the Trafalgar Cemetery just outside the town gates, where you will find memorial to many sailors. Interestingly those who died during the battle were buried at sea, and only two of those interred here died of wounds from the fighting. There are many who died during a Yellow Fever epidemic, and some who died in other battles in the Napoleonic Wars. Nelson's remains were brought back to Britain.

I can't find any photos at the moment, I don't know where on earth they have disappeared to!

Anyone who has not visited Santiago de Compostela (from La Coruna) should IMO go; yes there will be quite a lot of tourists, but the Cathedral, the Square it is in, and the hotel in the Square are all well worth seeing.

Take the shuttle bus into Porto; there is a lovely old bookshop which you will be able to find out about (for the interior), and some lovely tiles at the station and elsewhere.

Agree Gib. is not exciting, if you want to go into town there will be taxi-minibuses (small charge) to save the boring walk. Well worth going into Lisbon, the Jeronimus monastery lovely.

In Portimao the shuttle to the nearby beach - only if it is a lovely day to sit on the sand.

We are looking forward to our first Seabourn experience!

I'm sure you will love it - especially your time on board!

Don't forget to sort out a referral coupon (see sticky thread) for you $400 on board credit, if you have not already done so.

CraftyEC,

I appreciate the heads-up regarding the referral coupon, that's wonderful!

If I understand correctly, at the time of final payment I should post on the"sticky thread" asking if anyone has a coupon available that they would kindly share with us.

Cheers

Edited by Maineac

Lincslady is correct, Santiago de Compostela and the cathedral are wonderful. Unfortunately, however, the front of the cathedral is pretty much covered in scaffolding. Will be for some time. Still worth going there.

Sorry to hear that - some years since we were there. However, I do recommend a visit - for coffee, or a drink, or maybe lunch - at the hotel, Hostal de los Reyes Catolicos - as it is also a lovely building. I think it is a Parador, not sure. And of course since we were there the food and drinks might also not be so good! But have a look inside if possible.