Dawn tomorrow; a few questions

dter

One of my neighbors is a cabbie in Manhattan (we're coming from North Jersey) and he'd be willing to drop us off at the port before work, at about 11 AM. Is that too early? I'm not sure what time the Dawn is arriving. Also, he's unsure about the address of the port. Is it 711 12th Avenue?

We have a few chargers that we would be bringing with us. Couple of iPod chargers, a Nintendo DS charger, a Sonicare charger and 3 cell phone chargers (these wouldn't be used a lot since the phones will be turned off on the ship). I assume we would need a power strip, but would a three-pronged strip (with a grounding prong) work or will I have to buy a two-pronged one?

Another question is, is there a nice quiet outside spot on the Dawn somewhere where there's not a lot of people? I have no interest in any water-related activities, so I really wouldn't be hanging out by the pool a lot, if at all. With that in mind, is there anything for me to do in Great Stirrup Cay at all or should I just stay on the ship when it docks there? I'm bringing a few books with me and I'll hopefully be able to pick up a new DS game or two at Port Canaveral.

Thanks!

dter,

The pier is located between 48th & 55th Streets on 12th Avenue. The NCL Dawn will in in Pier 88 and the NCL Crown with be in Pier 90. The ship should be in around 8-9am and people will be getting off around 10:00am. Getting there at 11:00am is good. They could start boarding at 11:30am.

Try lunch at the Venetian, most will go to the buffet.

There are lounge chairs on deck 12 in the bow & sides. Most times that's where the people who want to sleep are located. It's away from the pool bustle.

At GSC, you can take a walk to the other side of the island, or find a hammock and while away the time. Or you could stay on the ship and have her all to yourself. Most people get off and go the island.

Whatever, you do, you'll enjoy your cruise on the Dawn.

We'll be leaving on 9/4.

Happy Sailing

Monty

Its a little on the early side you will run into the people getting off but you can do that. Sometimes if everything is on time you can be onboard before noon.

You can always get a two prung adapter rather than but a whole new strip but I think a three prong will work.

On the upper deck away from the pool are normally areas that get pretty quiet.

The ship doesn't actually "dock" at GSC. It moors off the island and people go off on a tender(a ww II type landing craft). There is a island to walk around and a lighthouse to walk to that is pretty quiet and interesting to do on a fairly off the beach empty island.

GSC is nice but staying on the ship is great also. GSC has a nice barbeque but there is plenty of food on the ship. Whatever you do, I am sure you will have fun.

There are tables and chairs outside the Blue Lagoon and outside the Pearly Kings Pub which are located on deck 7 behind the reception desk. There are always enough seats and you are close to a good cup of coffee and pound cake.

I am so excited for you. Please let us know how you liked it when you return.

Enjoy!

Jeanne

First, BON VOYAGE!!! I KNOW you will have an EXCELLENT time on your cruise, the Dawn IS a FABULOUS ship!!!

You will most likely find GSC day quite quiet on board the ship, just about everywhere!! Enjoy!!!

One power strip should be all you need.

11:00am is a wee bit early, but, that means you will be FIRST in line!!!:)

Have FUN!!!:)

Suesan:) :) :)

Dter: I'm so happy for you going on the Dawn. We had a wonderful time on her in February. I'm sure you will enjoy every aspect of your trip.

I think I agree with you about staying aboard at GSC. The ship is quiet and you can roam places that are ordinarily busy.

Have a wonderful vacation.

Happy cruising!

My recollection was that the plug was two prong, not three, but I have to defer to shoreguy on anything Dawn related!

We did not particulary enjoy GSC - way too crowded! go early and return to the ship for lunch.

Don't use you cell phone at sea you will accrue international roaming charges. we just go off 2 weeks ago. I called my carrier yesterday I had $98 worth of roaming charges. and i only used the phone from ny to fla.

Have a great time its a great ship and a wonderfull crew.

Don't use you cell phone at sea you will accrue international roaming charges. we just go off 2 weeks ago. I called my carrier yesterday I had $98 worth of roaming charges. and i only used the phone from ny to fla.

Have a great time its a great ship and a wonderfull crew.

But at $1.99 a minute it is a real bargin. Imagine if you rolled those minutes up on the $7.95 a minute in room phone :eek:

My recollection was that the plug was two prong, not three, but I have to defer to shoreguy on anything Dawn related!

We did not particulary enjoy GSC - way too crowded! go early and return to the ship for lunch.

I am looking at my cruise suitcase (time to start getting ready for the Jewel :) ) sitting on top is the four port power strip still in the bag from the Dawn. It in fact has three prongs and worked fine. ;)

Hey Shoreguy - I feel better now my carrier only charged me .90 a minute. I just felt ripped off because I could see US soil when I used the phone. Somehow I was charged for international roaming. I think NCL should have said something. But, it's ok now as my carrier has put a block to any international roaming in the future. I learned my lesson. Ben

I am looking at my cruise suitcase (time to start getting ready for the Jewel :) ) sitting on top is the four port power strip still in the bag from the Dawn. It in fact has three prongs and worked fine. ;)

as I said, i wouldn't dare contravene shoreguy's info!

Hey Shoreguy - I feel better now my carrier only charged me .90 a minute. I just felt ripped off because I could see US soil when I used the phone. Somehow I was charged for international roaming. I think NCL should have said something. But, it's ok now as my carrier has put a block to any international roaming in the future. I learned my lesson. Ben

I think we hate surprises when they cost us money :)

Thanks for all the answers! I think I might just stay on the ship at GSC and watch TV or read a book.

I think GSC is a must see! If you want to get away from the beach crowd you can can take a walk ... or find your own quiet place. It was such a great day!

The loung chairs on deck 7 are nice and quiet places ....this is the same deck people are playing shuffle board... all the kiddies are at the pool which is a few decks up!

Durning the day most of the lounges are empty.... spinnaker lounge has GREAT views ...large windows ... great for reading... just take a look in the freestyle daily to see if its being used! Theres many lounges throughout the ship that are not being use durning the day that have great comfy chairs.

I agree with you feeling ripped off. If you could see land in FL, chances are you could have picked up a mainland tower. (It has worked for us in the past.) But with cell service onboard the ship, you never had the chance. It's one thing for them to provide service when there is nothing else available. Quite another for your signal to be "hijacked."

Sure, $.90 per minute is good compared to ship-to-shore charges, but not compared to "free." Thanks for the warning. Now I'll be certain not to make the "bon voyage" call to friends and family as I see the US shoreline fading. It's a nice touch when free, :) but not when it is not free.:(

Archived