A reminder to Canucks!

Tangocherie

Although you can't get pricing in $CAN on the Norwegian website, I thought it would be good to remind you that you can book with a Norwegian agent and get pricing in $CAN. The exchange rate used by Norwegian is less than the banks use and you won't be paying your credit card the extra fee for transactions in another currency. :)

Although you can't get pricing in $CAN on the Norwegian website, I thought it would be good to remind you that you can book with a Norwegian agent and get pricing in $CAN. The exchange rate used by Norwegian is less than the banks use and you won't be paying your credit card the extra fee for transactions in another currency. :)

Thank you, I have just emailed our TA to do this.

I have also heard of having a credit card in US funds, but personally do not need another credit card !!

Thanks

Are you saying that you are using your Cdn currency charge card and are not being charge the foreign exchange conversion charge of 2 1/2%? If that is what you are saying, I wonder how that can happen.

Are you saying that you are using your Cdn currency charge card and are not being charge the foreign exchange conversion charge of 2 1/2%? If that is what you are saying, I wonder how that can happen.

You call and ask for the rate in $CAD, booked a cruise last week and the exchange rate was 1.09

You call and ask for the rate in $CAD, booked a cruise last week and the exchange rate was 1.09

The fare was $3142 US and the CAD fare was $3407 which is what my Canadian credit card will ce charged.

That is $1.09 exchange rate and that day I was charged 1.16 for some other US purchases on my credit card.

Thats exactly what I was saying. You pay your cruise fare in $CAN, hence no foreign exchange conversion fee on your credit card. However, when you cruise on a Norwegian ship, all onboard charges will be in $US. So if you are paying your onboard expenses with a Canadian credit card, you will pay the conversion charge plus the current exchange rate...:(

Edited by Tangocherie

That is a good tip. Also if you arranged to pay for your cruise in CDN $$ and pre-book excursions and other for-fee activities such as specialty dining, and prepay the daily service charges, it is all charged on your CDN credit card using the same rate of exchange. We booked our upcoming cruise in July at a rate of 1.07 :D

That is a good tip. Also if you arranged to pay for your cruise in CDN $$ and pre-book excursions and other for-fee activities such as specialty dining, and prepay the daily service charges, it is all charged on your CDN credit card using the same rate of exchange. We booked our upcoming cruise in July at a rate of 1.07 :D

That's a good tip also!:D

i really wish i had known this before :(

we've already spent more than $600 in exchange charges... too bad NCL rep didn't mention this when i booked thru them. ah well, i know for next time and appreciate the info.

NCL rep did not tell me either. It just happened that my friends cruised with NCL early this year and they told me about it....in fact they had a promo - CDN $$ taken at par with US $$ :eek: :eek:. I asked about it when I booked, the promo was over but I was told we could still book in CDN. When I discovered the rate I jumped on it :p

Edited by Freckles_51

Am following this one closely... I remember that prior to April/May-ish of this year you had the choice of how you wanted to pay, either in US or Cdn $, but they changed that policy due to the exchange rate being so bad at the time, so all future bookings could only be in US $. I haven't seen anything in any of the NCL emails, etc saying they have "at par" promos but I'll definitely be asking my PCC about this. He didn't know they had instituted the change in policy back in the spring so I won't be too surprised if he doesn't know about this either... But it doesn't hurt to ask.

I have read somewhere that the exchange rate with Ncl is fixed 2 times per year.

The "at par" promo wasn't really a promo, it was the exchange rate fixed for a period of about 6 months and then it changed for the worst because the CDN was way down when Ncl fixed it for the next period.

It is a great idea to call Ncl and ask before booking.

I have read somewhere that the exchange rate with Ncl is fixed 2 times per year.

The "at par" promo wasn't really a promo, it was the exchange rate fixed for a period of about 6 months and then it changed for the worst because the CDN was way down when Ncl fixed it for the next period.

It is a great idea to call Ncl and ask before booking.

Thanks for the explanation. Still it is a good deal considering their low exchange rate and no commission to pay to the credit card company :D