Euros

ashvb

We are staying in a bed and breakfast in Amsterdam 2 nights pre-cruise that we booked independently and they requested cash upon arrival. ~350 Euros, would you wait until you get to the airport in Amsterdam to withdraw that or order from our local bank and carry with us?

I obtained a chip & pin credit card from USAA to use, and I have a Capitol One debit card with no foreign transaction fees, and no, it doesn't have a chip & PIN embedded in it and we didn't have trouble anywhere in the Med.

I am a bit confused, as Rick Steves really advises that cash is king, and if you want to bargain and purchase items locally in the street markets, carrying cash is the way to go. I admit, I have been reading his travel forum, as I would like to experience some local culture before getting on the ship.

I agree that cash is preferable in certain circumstances, esp. smaller shops and street markets. Also, we often travel with friends and splitting costs is much easier with cash as separate checks are not something many places we enjoy and seek out will accommodate.

I personally would wait til arrival in Amsterdam to get your cash.

I take about €200.00 with me and if you need change check the airport for a change machine. They have them at Charles De Gaulle where you buy your train and metro tickets.

Last trip I saved my change knowing I would need it for the next trip.

All of the ATM's I used don't require a Chip just a 4 digit pin.

The chip and pin problem normally accurs at gas stations when they are closed and you need to use the credit card machine at the pump. Also buying anything at a machine where a person is not present like buying train tickets.

No problems using non-chip debit and credit cards last year - UK, Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany, Hungary, Austria - or the previous trips. I take about $200 in pounds and Euros, just in case. My bank charges a minimal fee and I don't have to find an ATM as soon as I get off the plane. I carry debit cards from two different banks and make a note of their European partners to eliminate fees. I prefer using cash for most of the daily purchases and I always use the local currency. Last year, at the Central Market in Budapest, Euros were accepted. I calculated a 20-30% (depending on the vendor) surcharge for using Euros instead of forints. I use a currency converter on my phone.

As a reminder, "ATM" is American English. British - cashpoint, French - un GAB, German - Geldautomat.

Happy travels.