jewelry dilemma

zazzy

ok ladies,
here is my dilemma. I don't wear jewelry... no really!! I mean it! I wear a wedding set and a couple of other "artsy" hand crafted rings but that is about it. my ears are pierced, but very sensitive and so if I find something that doesn't make my ears itch after a couple of hours, they stay in until I get sick of them.

I hear a lot about wearing something simple and adding jewelry. is it really necessary? I really don't feel like blowing my cruise fashion budget on items I will wear one or two times and never again after the cruise.
any suggestions?

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;08;30;20;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100[/img]  until our virgin cruise Westerdam 8/30/04

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by zazzy:
ok ladies, here is my dilemma. I don't wear jewelry... no really!! ....

I hear a lot about wearing something simple and adding jewelry. is it really necessary? I really don't feel like blowing my cruise fashion budget on items I will wear one or two times and never again after the cruise.
any suggestions?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you've answered your own dilemma. If you're not comfortable wearing jewelry other than what you've described -- then don't. Don't feel you need to wear something that you never do just because "you hear about someone else doing it." Save your money and use it for an excursion, a spa treatment or maybe you'll find a new "artsy" hand crafted ring on your trip. HTH

Lisa [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

2-14-04 Seabourn Legend
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;2;14;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600[/img]

6-19-04 Disney Magic
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;6;19;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

3-19-05 Diamond Princess
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2005;3;19;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

Don't break the bank, look for bargains! I have found sales at department stores that are unbelievable. I have a ring (looks like a huge diamond) I get so many compliments on, it cost $4. I bought a pave looking diamond (glass) necklace for $7, earrings to match $7.

I hardly ever wear more than a pair of earrings, my wedding band and a watch, but it is fun to dress up once in a while.

Kathy

Zazzy,

If you're not a jewelry wearer, then don't bother to buy any.

Changing jewelry is a nice way for people to change the look of their outfits if they already own it or are collectors of it. But if you don't have a feel for the stuff or already own a few pieces, you'll never feel comfortable.
I would never wear costume jewelry and travel with a very limited amount of my good stuff, therefore, I don't count on jewelry to change my look when I'm away from home.

What you CAN do, if you choose, is to change the look of an outfit with accessories. A pair of basic black microfiber pants will look casual with a cotton shirt, leather belt and flat shoes. Then those same pants with a dressy top, chain belt and sandals with a heel totally transforms it to a nice dinner outfit.

Jane

Zazzy,
Just keep it simple go and get yourself a pair of imitation pearl necklace and earrings, or a rinestone pin and you got it made. I promise you will look nice.

Charlene
~~lvs2cruz~~
Sun Princess - Feb.7/05
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2005;02;7;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0700[/img]

I know just how you feel....periced earrings problem, can't wear most jewerly due to sensative skin.

I have a few pair(2) of earrings that I wear often. I have purchased very quality earrings, at a high cost, so that I can wear them all night. They are very classics, that go with anything. Really, all you need is a couple of pairs to wear with just about everything. I wish I could wear costume jewerly..but not in the cards for me.

By the way, my purchases were both at the islands. High quality at the best available prices.

If you have a JC Penneys department store in your area I have gotten incredible deals on their clearance jewelry for a few dollars for each piece on average. I bought jewelry to go with my formal and all 3 pieces were under $10 total! I always take advantage of their clearance with an extra 15 or 20% off. But you should always go with you're most comfortable with and if you don't wear jewelry don't bother!
It's your cruise! Have fun!

For all you ladies who have a problem wearing pierced earrings, try Simply Whispers, they are WONDERFUL! For years after I had my ears pieced I could not wear earrings for more than an hour or so at a time. My ears would get horribly infected and I would have to go to the doctor for anitbiotics. I could not even wear the "best" earrings. I saw an ad in a magazine for a free pair of the Whispers a couple years ago and decided to try them. Since then I have not had the first problem with my ears and I wear them all day, all the time. They are reasonable and very stylish too. Check them out online at [url="http://www.simplywhispers.com"]www.simplywhispers.com[/url].
Halloween on the Serenade
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;10;30;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Hi Zazzy, I am not a big jewelry wearer either though I have a few good pieces that I wear regularily. But, when I go on a cruise I love to accessorize my outfits with modern up to date bling bling! The department stores are full of it and these gorgeous pieces do not break the bank. Can't see risking heirlooms or irreplaceable pieces on a ship, too much trouble and worry. Enjoy your cruise and dressing up but mainly relax!

I have a problem with jewelery all of a sudden! I have become allergic to sterling silver! Never was before, but I guess my body chemistry changed. My husband says I have just become more expensive! I have all this really pretty sterling jewelery and now I can't wear it! I also bought all this David Yurman look-alike stuff that is so very nice, made of rodium, so I thought maybe, but not! So now I have tons of jewelery that I can't wear for more than an hour or so. I usually wear the same stuff all the time.

[img]http://www.animfactory.com./animations/flags_poles/us_state_flags/usa_md_wht.gif[/img]

Glad to know I am not alone. I wear two pieces of jewellry only (wedding ring & gold rope necklace) with everything from jeans to gowns. Key to having a great time is feeling good so I wear simple outfits that look nice and don't bother with scarves etc. which I have no talent for tying properly. Your best accessory is positive outlook and a genuine smile. Loved the suggestion below about using the money on spa treatments!

Tomko2
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2005;1;24;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
...don't wanna go home ... got island in my soul..

When I travel, I leave my good jewellery at home. For me a vacation should be worry-free. I don't wear my wedding or engagement rings either. As a matter of fact, even at home, they go into the bank for the summer.

I may take one gold necklace and one gold bracelet that I can wear all of the time. Earrings will be costume. Bracelets....also costume. Come to think of it, I may not bother with the gold one!

This is fine with me. It's "my style"!!!!

However, following our next cruise, we will be attending a wedding. I am sure it will be an "all-out gorgeous" affair. I already warned my friend that I will be jewellery-free!

They will just have to accept me "as is"!!!

Speaking of jewelry - I made a stupid mistake on Sunday at Dillard's - was looking for matching rhinestone nice looking, not gaudy, jewelry for my formals. I finally found some stuff I liked. The clerk was showing it to me, so I didn't look at the price, which I ALWAYS do. Well, she rang it all up and it came to about $105. I hesitated for a moment, but was sort of embarrassed to tell her forget it. Then I started walking out the door and I thought "this is crazy" - I could use that money for a spa treatment. I went back and returned it - she wasn't happy. Now, Kohl's has Trifari jewelry on sale and I know I can get my for much less than $100!

Interesting topic. I also shun expensive jewelry- own a few nice pieces, but hubby knows I prefer other gifts! I just think it's a waste, personally. I hate the thought of worrying about packing it, worrying about it being lost or stolen, etc. On formal night, it's fake or sometimes Swarovski. The casual nights, I wear Tommy Bahama clothes and little funky earrings like palm trees, grape vines, etc. Never take more than one bracelet (which I board with) and a watch. We travel a lot, that's where my $$$ go!

Grandeur 6/98
Sovereign 3/00
Jubilee 1/02
Voyager6/02
Navigator 1/03
Sensation 4/03
Enchantment 9/03
Mariner 1/04

Archived