Any suggestions for hotels in Buenos Aires?

speedidee

I am leaving on the Celebrity Infiniti cruise from Buenos Aries to Valparaiso in January.

I will be staying in Buenos Aries for a few days beforehand and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on where to stay in Buenos Aires?

Also on the return, any suggestions for Valparaiso and Santiago.

Any other suggestions for Buenos Aries and the cruise would be greatly appreciated as this is my first cruise.

Thanks,

Darren

I am leaving on the Celebrity Infiniti cruise from Buenos Aries to Valparaiso in January.

I will be staying in Buenos Aries for a few days beforehand and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on where to stay in Buenos Aires?

Any other suggestions for Buenos Aries and the cruise would be greatly appreciated as this is my first cruise.

There is a thread about this right now on the South America forum.

In case you have not already seen it, here is a link to it.

Hotels in Buenos Aires

When we were in Buenos Aires, we stayed at the Sheraton, primarily because we got a good price.

It was a nice hotel, clean, comfortable, safe, but it was like a Sheraton you would find anywhere.

If we go back there again, I think I would like to try a small local place the next time, not just stay at another of the major name brand chain hotels.

The most interesting thing about that Sheraton at the time we were there was that Hugo Chavez, the late past president of Venezuela, was also staying there with his entourage.

We would see him wandering around the hotel and grounds, surrounded by his bodyguards, with a huge following of photographers and reporters and tourists trailing after him. They made no effort at all to keep the public away from him.

I was surprised that we were even allowed to stand on the staircase right above him taking pictures with our cameras as he walked through the lobby below us and nobody seemed at all concerned, from a security standpoint.

One short photographer carried a small folding ladder around with him all over, and whenever Chavez would stop anywhere to talk, he would unfold his ladder and climb up on it to take photos shooting down from above the crowd.

I would suggest trying to take an excursion to visit Iguazu Falls on the Argentina-Brazil border, if you have the opportunity to do so.

If you do, check out visa requirements if you want to go over to the Brazil side of the falls.

Edited by fleckle

Thanks,

Darren

i am a frequent hoteller. Marriott is a 5 star.

location, massage therapy center, good rooms, best club sandwich was 9 $

great steak rest up the block tons ofshops and upscale stores

but was there 3 or 4 years ago so may have deteriorated

but what great massages not pricey

i am a frequent hoteller. Marriott is a 5 star.

location, massage therapy center, good rooms, best club sandwich was 9 $

great steak rest up the block tons ofshops and upscale stores

but was there 3 or 4 years ago so may have deteriorated

but what great massages not pricey

The Plaza is no longer a Marriott property. This ended in July 2014. They will no longer honor Marriott points for stays and you will no longer earn Marriott points if you stay there.

Terri

The Plaza is no longer a Marriott property. This ended in July 2014. They will no longer honor Marriott points for stays and you will no longer earn Marriott points if you stay there.

Terri

The Plaza was purchased by the family corporation that owns the Alvear Palace, considered one of the best hotels in South America, the five star Llao Llao Resort in Bariloche, and the newer Alvear Art hotel in Buenos Aires.

One hundred years ago the Plaza was the only luxury hotel in Buenos Aires, built primarily to house wealthy Europeans looking to invest in Argentina. Alas, it had fallen on hard times unde its former owners, much to the chagrin of Marriott, and is in dire need of a face lift. The new owners know what they are doing however, and I look for the Plaza to return to its former splendor once renovations are complete. But not in time for the 2015 cruise season

Meanwhile, if history is of interest drop by the Art Deco Bar for a drink or reserve a table at the Plaza Grill, which serves some of the best steaks in BA . Soak up the ambiance while sipping a perfectly prepared martini or chowing down on a succulent steak from pampas grass fed beef.

Edited by dr__dawggy

After reading all your suggestions and reviews from others, it looks like the best two mid-range hotels are:

1) Plaza Hotel (previously a Marriott) at $116 usd per night average (they have buy two get one night free special)

2) Howard Johnson Ricoletta - this is $170 usd per night but includes breakfast and internet

Both look interesting with the Plaza being more of a grand, historic hotel and the HoJo being more boutique.

Not sure which one is better for us but will look at the areas of the two a bit more and make a reservation shortly.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Darren

After reading all your suggestions and reviews from others, it looks like the best two mid-range hotels are:

1) Plaza Hotel (previously a Marriott) at $116 usd per night average (they have buy two get one night free special)

2) Howard Johnson Ricoletta - this is $170 usd per night but includes breakfast and internet

Both look interesting with the Plaza being more of a grand, historic hotel and the HoJo being more boutique.

Not sure which one is better for us but will look at the areas of the two a bit more and make a reservation shortly.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Darren

Last time we stayed at the HO JO Recoleta there was a lot of noisy construction in the area. Rooms were clean and modern but without character.

That's a very good rate at the Plaza, even if it is awaiting refurbishment. If you appreciate history, you will like the property.

Some parts of Recoleta and Retiro are adjacent (or nearly so) to Puerto Madero. The Sheraton is in Retiro, the Marriott in Recoleta and the Hilton in Puerto Madero (I believe). I prefer Recoleta (CasaSur, Alvear Palace, Sofitel, Four Seasons, Mio Buenos Aires among others).

In any case, you should be able to upgrade your price point by paying for the hotel with local cash obtained in BA by exchanging USD at a local exchange house. You may be required to use plastic to secure the reservation, but you should almost certainly will be able to ask for a credit back to your card and pay in pesos. Doing this will allow you to pay $200 for a room priced at $350/night.