Tablemates?

Begete

Hi-

Does anyone know how the powers that be place passengers at tables for meals?

Do they attempt to match you by age, by what catagory cabin your purchased? May you "request" other people with/without certain characteristics? Will they honor requests for a couple to be seated alone?

What happens if you are not comfortable with your table mates?

We have a somewhat unique issue, and I would not want our tablemates to take it personally if we either asked to be moved, or decided to have most of our meals in an alternative dining venue. I am intensely allergic to perfume, aftershave and other scented products. If we are seated near passengers wearing such products, we would have to leave/move, choose another venue, no matter how charming the scented people are.

We are taking this cruise aware that we may have to eat our meals in our room if there are no satisfactory alternatives.

Would appreciate any suggestions as this will be our first cruise since I developed this disorder. Celebrity's special needs department is aware of this condition as we have made special requests related to cleaning products to be used in our room, and that department said something vague about alerting the Constellation dining room staff, but I could not pin down any specifics.

Thank you.

Not really.

That was a thread about alternative dining rooms, costs, necessity for making reservations, started by someone else, and I only mentioned my sensitivity, in that thread, by way of asking if the reserve by 5:30 pm rule might be waived for good cause.

Here I started this thread to ask

1 - what does Celebrity take into account when making table assignments?

I have a particular concerns, but have always been curious how this is done on ships.This is a topic I have not seen addressed here.

2 - what is the most polite way of excusing oneself from a table, whatever the reason.

My answer to part 1 is purest supposition, but I believe the Maitre d' (and/or their staff) does the assignments once the passenger list is finalised. I know the patter isn't always the same in terms of the numbers of the various sizes of tables, so table size requested is (presumably) a factor. One would expect that they would attempt to put people together for compatibility - and I think they're usually pretty succesfull - though I've never detected a consistent pattern versus age, cabin category, number of cruises, or nationality.

I have no clue, alas, as to how they would handle the perfume thing, as (AFAIK) there is no way for the maitre d' to know who does or doesn't wear perfume. Perhaps request a table for two, and/or provide that info to the line - they may be able to accomodate you right by an air inflow vent or some such. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

I can answer to 2), since I've seen it happen, though I've never had occasion to do so myself. Just go see the maitre d' once you've decided you want to move, and ask to move. There's no need to make a song and dance of it at the table - probably the best you can do is to announce your departure politely in the "Excuse us, I don't think we'll be dining tonight" vein, and make alternative arrangements later. There's no need to explain anything, if you don't wish to, though you certainly may if you prefer.

Best of luck!

Ref: the 5:30pm rule -- I've seen and heard people doing the casual dining gig on an emergency basis. They'll take you. They just really don't want total unknown counts in this regard else they would be unable to prep the appropriate number of tables and staff correctly. For that reason, they need to get as close as possible to a real count, but won't throw you out of you show up unexpectedly.

1 - what does Celebrity take into account when making table assignments?

I have a particular concerns, but have always been curious how this is done on ships.This is a topic I have not seen addressed here.

2 - what is the most polite way of excusing oneself from a table, whatever the reason.

1 - They really have no way of knowing what your fellow passengers will be wearing in terms of cologne or aftershave... there's nothing for that in the usual pre-cruise forms;) . So there's not going to be any specific relief for you unless someone else just happens to bring this to their attention as a problem and they can put you together.

We've all tried to guess (and it's been tossed around in any number of threads) how they determine seating apart from trying to get you to a table of the size you have requested. There doesn't seem to be any special pattern to it. Heck, we can't even sort out with any certainty how they make the selections for who will sit at the Captain's table!

2 - Same as any other social situation, and now that you've uncovered this problem, it will be something you'll have to learn to deal with graciously. I would imagine that simply spelling out the problem and making it clear that you understand that it's not the fault of the other guests is appropriate. You should find that the Maitre'd will be ready and able to help find another seating arrangement if you run into trouble. They can be quite helpful in this regard for any number of reasons (e.g., sitting next to a table that is regularly so loud that you can't hold a conversation at your own). These folks have seen it all, and will be ready to assist.

If you have a problem with whatever please feel free to ask to be moved and you do NOT need to feel awkward about it.

I will post my entire situation (time will not allow me to do it now) about the problem I just had on night ONE of our cruise. Just got back today.

After the first 10 minutes I KNEW I couldn't eat with these people ever again.

When dinner was over, I went to the maitre'd and asked that he please do whatever it takes to get us a different table, I don't care where or who we're with, please just move us.

From that night on we were assigned a different table with other people who were not happy about their previous situation either.

In the end we were all happy. Yes, I did have to walk by the other table I requested to be moved from and since I felt my reasons were totally ligit I didn't feel odd at all.

I paid a lot of money for my cruise and there are some things I'm just not willing to deal with.

Do whatever is going to make you feel comfortable, you don't need to feel apologetic for having a sensitivity to perfume or whatever.

I've told people, "I do love the scent you are wearing, it's just that I am allergic to perfume and I get headaches from it". You can't help what you can't control.

Hope this helps.

The assistant Maitre d' was readily available for any & all requests during our cruise. We had new people at our table the 3rd night that just couldn't take the family they were with at another table the first two nights

Unfortunately, there is no way that Celebrity will know the fragrance preferences of your tablemates prior to arrival.

I sense that you have some apprehension about offending your tablemates but that you may also truly wish to dine with others. That is understandable since the dinner experience is one of the delights of cruising. Should you find yourself at a table where a guest is wearing a fragrance that presents a problem, I'd suggest that you excuse yourself politely and if you feel the desire to do so, ask the maitre d' for an alternate location. If you have no other problem your original tablemates, perhaps you might just honestly explain the fragrance sensitivity. I bet there are some folks out there who'd be sympathetic to your sensitivity and offer to refrain from wearing fragrance. Were you to share this information with me, I would have no problem obstaining from use of my perfume during future dinner gatherings. If all else fails, request a table for two and hope that you are in a well ventilated area of the dining room.

Not really.

That was a thread about alternative dining rooms, costs, necessity for making reservations, started by someone else, and I only mentioned my sensitivity, in that thread, by way of asking if the reserve by 5:30 pm rule might be waived for good cause.

Tried edit without success. System locks up on "Submit" these days.

They will take pax w/o reservations, but prefer to have an accurate count so that they know how many table to prep and how many servers they'll need. They won't turn you away, but for practical reasons, they want a fairly accurate count each evening.

On the Constellation, in the upper section of the restaurant, in the area where the stairs start (upstairs by the piano) there are small tables (on each side ) that are sort of away from most of the other tables......also in the lower portion of the restaurant, again by the stairs ( sort of under the stairs by the wall) there are about 3 or 4 small tables that are not in the best location of the restaurant, but they are somewhat removed from other tables and most of the traffic - these tables are probably the best choice for your situation - you can still enjoy the main dinning room and not be affected by those around you. As soon as you get on board see the specially setup desk for table assingments (usually in the lounge outside the restaurant) and talk to the person (often it is the restaurant manager or one of his assistants) about your concerns and your choice of a table.

Hopefully you can enjoy the cruise and the dinning room as well.

Wes

Hi-

Does anyone know how the powers that be place passengers at tables for meals?

Do they attempt to match you by age, by what catagory cabin your purchased? May you "request" other people with/without certain characteristics? Will they honor requests for a couple to be seated alone?

Thank you.

I commented to the Asst Maitre d' last November when he stopped by our table as usual one night, "how in the world are we matched up? We're all on the same hall (Penthouse deck 2C area), all the same ages, all recently retired etc."

He smiled and said it was his doing. They look at the demographics and try to give one table people of varied home locations, but find something in common, also, like our ages. Now that doesn't always work, of course, but it was true of my recently completed trip to Alaska. We were all about the same age and all had cruised before and were from different areas in the states.

Think about it. In the information we provide to a cruise line we don't list our likes and dislikes, (nor our political parties or religions or education level) so all they have to go on is where we're from, if we've cruised beofe, whether we're married or single, and our ages.

I commented to the Asst Maitre d' last November when he stopped by our table as usual one night, "how in the world are we matched up? We're all on the same hall (Penthouse deck 2C area), all the same ages, all recently retired etc."

He smiled and said it was his doing. They look at the demographics and try to give one table people of varied home locations, but find something in common, also, like our ages. Now that doesn't always work, of course, but it was true of my recently completed trip to Alaska. We were all about the same age and all had cruised before and were from different areas in the states.

Think about it. In the information we provide to a cruise line we don't list our likes and dislikes, (nor our political parties or religions or education level) so all they have to go on is where we're from, if we've cruised beofe, whether we're married or single, and our ages.

Flashdog, I got a chuckle out of your post.... on my July Alaska cruise I was a single gal paired up with 5 other single gals who were about my age. They got that part right, but the rest of it is another story! :) Four of the five other gals spoke no English and they only spoke to each other in their native language. Thus, I was out of luck with the verbal conversation aspect of dinner. :eek: The one gal who spoke English ordered for everyone else, and when the appetizers came nobody liked what had been ordered and insisted it was not what they wanted and they all began bickering. It was a bit comical, but the poor waiter was so shaken that he came back to the table and retook every order a second time. Since everything had to be translated by the one gal, our salads arrived at 9:50 and entrees at 10:20. Needless to say, it was one long evening! I asked the Maitre' d for an alternate table assignment later in the evening, and ended up with the most delightful eclectic group of tablemates yet.... a Jewish rabbi and his wife, a gay couple who maintain an east-west coast relationship, and a fairly conservative couple from Minnesota. We had a GREAT week and wonderful laughter filled evenings. I am not sure we'll ever fully understand the logistics behind those table assignments~!:D

I think what cabin you are in has a LOT to do with it...we have always been with folks who share our cabin category...one cruise no one wanted to mention they had a balcony, but someone did...the rest of us sat their like mummies...after dinner we all went back to our cabins to change for whatever, and lo and behold we were all within 10 cabins of each so we all went out on our balconies and waved to each other - 4 couples, it was really funny.

But I feel your pain about the perfume...I can never understand how people can feel it is OK to impose on my personal space that way. Do they smell THAT bad that they must cover it up???? Anyway, I would suggest that you get a table for two...at least you know your dinner will be choke-free.

I don't know how they match people up, but I have to say we've always, without exception, had fantastic tables of 6 or 8 and even 10. That doesn't mean we won't get burned sometime, but for the most part they could practically be a dating service!

That said, I can understand the problem about the perfume. I can honestly say I wouldn't be offended if someone asked me if I could wear a little less (perfume;) ). In fact, sometimes someone will ask me what I'm wearing and say they love it. I'm always troubled thinking that may be a polite way of saying it's overpowering. So I always say, "I'm sorry, is it too strong?". So far, thankfully, I've always been told no, that they really do love it:) (p.s. it's Eternity).

So if you're happy with your table other than that, give it a try. The worst that can happen is you end up changing your table!

I really appreciate all of the very thoughtful replies. Thank you.

Patrioticgirl hit the nail on the head when she said : "I sense that you have some apprehension about offending your tablemates but that you may also truly wish to dine with others. That is understandable since the dinner experience is one of the delights of cruising"

That is exactly what we are feeling.

As for Eternity or any other specific scent - it doesn't really matter. The specific thing I am allergic to is iodopropynyl butylcarbamate which is a preservative commonly used in most perfumes and other personal care and scented products.

So it doesn't really matter what the "scent" is. It is what chemicals are used by the manufacturer to "fix/preserve" the scent in the product. One of the products that uses the most of this chemical is baby shampoos and other infant products!!

I just thought I would share this info with those of you who took the time to reply.

Thank you.

Archived