Some Questions about Large Balcony on Norwegian Breakaway

shapatack0

Hello,

My wife and I are relatively new to cruising and were hoping some on this board may be able to answer some questions about the large balcony (B6 category) on the 9th deck of the Norwegian Breakaway.

We booked through a Norwegian Cruise Line "Personal Cruise Consultant" who called us (we had previously sailed on the Norwegian Dawn). Do these Travel Agents actually work for NCL, or are they just third-party affiliated? I receive emails that come from norwegiancruiseline@email.ncl.com which reference the "personal cruise consultant" so I assumed they work for NCL, but I realize I may be wrong about that. Anyway, here are my questions, for which I have tried searching this site as well as general googling, and been unable to definitively answer:

1. We booked the last large balcony b6 category room that was available for the sailing we wanted, room 9112. Looking at a deck plan of Norwegian Breakaway on both CC and on NCL, the deck appears to slope inward diagonally at 9112, and also slopes inward at 9110 (which is just a regular balcony room), so I was concerned that 9112 might have a smaller or obstructed balcony than the other large balconies (which if the case, then it wouldn't make sense for us to book it since we're paying extra for the "large" balcony, and I would just switch to another regular sized balcony since I am within the 24 hour window to do so). The personal cruise consultant I spoke with assured me it did not, but I was not fully convinced. I found a website that lists cabins, and it does say that 9110 which is a normal balcony is slightly larger because of the curvature, but has no notes about 9112. Does anybody know the answer to this? I have tried doing google image searches and tried zooming in on the side of the ship, but it's been really hard to tell.

2. Does anybody have experience with requesting lounge chairs from NCL for the large balcony rooms? For my wife and I, sitting on the balcony and reading on the cruise days is always the highlight of the cruise for us, and this is really important to us, moreso than anything else on the ship. The cruise consultant I booked with again said this would be no problem, and that some of the balconies already have the lounge chairs, but I was just curious if anyone else had experience with doing this.

3. We are leaving out of New York on November 30th for the 7 days Cruise to Florida and the Bahamas. Our previous cruises were all warm weather cruises. The ship has 1 sea day at the front end until it gets to Port Canaveral, and two sea days at the back end. I'm just curious how long it takes generally at that time of year before the ship gets to "shorts weather" or even "no jacket weather." Is our first sea day generally going to be cold, or will we be far enough south by mid-day that it will start to warm up appreciably? What about the last two sea days? Is the first day generally warm and the second day generally cold, or some other breakdown? I know weather varies a lot, but I'm curious if any others have had experiences sailing out of NYC the first week of December? Thanks in Advance!

Hello,

My wife and I are relatively new to cruising and were hoping some on this board may be able to answer some questions about the large balcony (B6 category) on the 9th deck of the Norwegian Breakaway.

We booked through a Norwegian Cruise Line "Personal Cruise Consultant" who called us (we had previously sailed on the Norwegian Dawn). Do these Travel Agents actually work for NCL, or are they just third-party affiliated? I receive emails that come from norwegiancruiseline@email.ncl.com which reference the "personal cruise consultant" so I assumed they work for NCL, but I realize I may be wrong about that. Anyway, here are my questions, for which I have tried searching this site as well as general googling, and been unable to definitively answer:

1. We booked the last large balcony b6 category room that was available for the sailing we wanted, room 9112. Looking at a deck plan of Norwegian Breakaway on both CC and on NCL, the deck appears to slope inward diagonally at 9112, and also slopes inward at 9110 (which is just a regular balcony room), so I was concerned that 9112 might have a smaller or obstructed balcony than the other large balconies (which if the case, then it wouldn't make sense for us to book it since we're paying extra for the "large" balcony, and I would just switch to another regular sized balcony since I am within the 24 hour window to do so). The personal cruise consultant I spoke with assured me it did not, but I was not fully convinced. I found a website that lists cabins, and it does say that 9110 which is a normal balcony is slightly larger because of the curvature, but has no notes about 9112. Does anybody know the answer to this? I have tried doing google image searches and tried zooming in on the side of the ship, but it's been really hard to tell.

2. Does anybody have experience with requesting lounge chairs from NCL for the large balcony rooms? For my wife and I, sitting on the balcony and reading on the cruise days is always the highlight of the cruise for us, and this is really important to us, moreso than anything else on the ship. The cruise consultant I booked with again said this would be no problem, and that some of the balconies already have the lounge chairs, but I was just curious if anyone else had experience with doing this.

3. We are leaving out of New York on November 30th for the 7 days Cruise to Florida and the Bahamas. Our previous cruises were all warm weather cruises. The ship has 1 sea day at the front end until it gets to Port Canaveral, and two sea days at the back end. I'm just curious how long it takes generally at that time of year before the ship gets to "shorts weather" or even "no jacket weather." Is our first sea day generally going to be cold, or will we be far enough south by mid-day that it will start to warm up appreciably? What about the last two sea days? Is the first day generally warm and the second day generally cold, or some other breakdown? I know weather varies a lot, but I'm curious if any others have had experiences sailing out of NYC the first week of December? Thanks in Advance!

Hi. I see your on the same cruise as me. Come over to our roll call board. Lots of information over there. We have a big meet and greet, slot pull and cabin crawl scheduled. Hope to see you on our roll call board.

Your balcony is angled, which is good. No obstructions.

Yes, you can request loungers if there are only regular chairs when you arrive. Just request them from your steward.

Yes it may be cold for the first day.

You will love love love your balcony!!

Have a great cruise. Breakaway is a beautiful ship.

Here is a picture where you can see the balconies very well. ImageUploadedByForums1415116024.341416.jpg.650afe2eb1f6a12fb9a8daba4372c0e2.jpg

~Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

Your balcony is angled, which is good. No obstructions.

Yes, you can request loungers if there are only regular chairs when you arrive. Just request them from your steward.

Yes it may be cold for the first day.

You will love love love your balcony!!

Have a great cruise. Breakaway is a beautiful ship.

Here is a picture where you can see the balconies very well. [ATTACH]330113[/ATTACH]

~Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

Thanks so much, we are very excited.

We sailed in a B6 last week. From what we could see, all the balconies were equipped with 2 loungers, 2 regular chairs and a table that was large enough to eat outside on the balcony. They are a really nice size, and we were very happy we booked that level room!

As far as temperature goes, people were in bathing suits by morning on the 1st sea day. It might be a little later in the day for you, seeing as you're sailing a month later. There are a lot of plexiglass panels to break the wind which made it feel a lot warmer.

Just back from our Breakaway cruise [11/2-11/9] and we had Cabin 9918 which is an Aft-Facing balcony. The balcony was huge, roughly 150 SF or so, and we had 2 chaise lounge chairs, two tables and two standard chairs out there. We did not have to request lounge chairs as they were already there upon our arrival. It also never felt crowded with everything out there. 3/4 of the balcony is shaded and 1/4 is open to the sun. We ate a few snacks/meals out there and even fell asleep out there once or twice. It was amazing.

From what I understand all of the large balconies (including those on the aft of the ship) will probably have a minimum of 2 chairs, 2 loungers, and at least 1 small table already there. If by chance there isn't then the steward will probably be more than willing to obtain what you might need. There definitely is plenty of room! The large balconies are wonderful and I am sure you will enjoy it! :)

• 3 months later...

I am almost certain that your balcony will be standard for a B6. Not angled or smaller in any way.

The line that you are seeing on the deck plan isn't the balconies (if it was then most other rooms wouldn't have a balcony at all).

A link to a picture was posted above, and that shows lust one room with an angled balcony, which is 9710. 9712 is the first room with the regular shaped large balconies.

Edited by KeithJenner

are the regular balconies (32 sq ft) really small? how many chairs? we are a family of 4 (2 small kids) and we are planning to eat out there. would there be enough space or should we just pay more for the family balcony (b6)?

It would be a struggle for two people to eat on a standard balcony, let alone 4. They are very small.

Just be aware that the B6 isn't what is described as a family balcony. Family Balcony rooms also have small balconies. I believe the B6 is described as a Large Balcony room.

• 1 year later...

We are also looking at cabin 9112 on the Breakaway. Did this balcony end up being smaller than the other category B6 balconies? Was is rectangular-shaped or triangle-shaped at an angle? Any help would be appreciated!

Hello,

We are also looking at cabin 9112 on the Breakaway. Did this balcony end up being smaller than the other category B6 balconies? Was is rectangular-shaped or triangle-shaped at an angle? Any help would be appreciated!

9112 is a standard B6 cabin with a standard B6 balcony. I would call it squarish actually. All the B6 balconies are the same.

See slide 21 here; (look for mirror image B6 9712 starboard)

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1_863Qda8PkJ0AZoyY65t8bC0C4eR4Og2SkH931zNdLU/pub?start=true&loop=true&delayms=5000#slide=id.gd43adb57_2_0

HTH