Passport vs. BC

pearose

I know there have been other threads about this. And I know a passport is not "required" on a closed loop US port to same US Port.

I also know that if you wanted to fly home from Mexico you'd HAVE to have the passport. That a passport card or BC would not help you.

However, my question is.......if for some reason, the ship had problems and you were forced to get off and fly home from a Mexican port because of the ship's issues....and you did not have a passport, would they see that you got home somehow?

I have a passport. And I strongly STRONGLY recommend everyone have a passport, for that unlikely event. But someone traveling with us is reluctant to get one, and spend the extra money for it, because they know they don't HAVE to have one for the cruise. And I know it's highly unlikely something like this would happen, but I just wanted to know if anyone knew if it was Carnival's fault (ship issues) would they help that person in any way, to get back home if they do not have a passport?

U.S. Immigration and Nationalization Service does not care about the how or why you had to come home from Mexico. You would still need a passport. Is it possible that Carnival might be able to contact the State Department on a passenger(s) behalf, but I wouldn't expect that to be handled in a very timely manner.

Just make sure that the person in your party who is resisting obtaining a passport knows they are taking a risk, albeit very minor. You don't want to play the "I told you so" game

Edited by rs12065

U.S. Immigration and Nationalization Service does not care about the how or why you had to come home from Mexico. You would still need a passport. Is it possible that Carnival might be able to contact the State Department on a passenger(s) behalf, but I wouldn't expect that to be handled in a very timely manner.

Just make sure that the person in your party who is resisting obtaining a passport knows they are taking a risk, albeit very minor. You don't want to play the "I told you so" game

That is pretty much what I figured would happen. That is why I am stressing it so much that they get one. I don't want to be waving goodbye should anything happen! lol

We will be going our first cruise in April 2015 and have been wondering about the passport issue, too. My husband and I plan to get ours for this trip because we will be going on an out of country company trip in 2016. But I am wondering about passports for my two kids. They will be 14 and 11 at the time of the cruise and I am wondering if it is okay to just go with their birth certificates or should we go ahead and get theirs also? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as this is all new to me! Thanks!

For Mexico, the Passport Card is sufficient, along with Canada, Bermuda, and the Caribbean islands.

The Passport Card does not allow you to fly. It allows you to cross the borders of those countries by land or sea, but not air.

The passport card is useless for cruises. It does exactly the same thing as your birth certificate and ID except it will let you cross a land border. The only thing you would use it for is if you miss the ship and then rent a car and drive back to the US....but most of those places are islands, so it isn't really feasible.

OK, Dakota, here's the deal:

You may take a cruise using only a BC and form of ID (no ID required for children under 16) if the cruise begins and ends in the same U.S. port (i.e. "closed loop") and if the cruise travels to Mexico, Canada, the Bahamas or the Caribbean. If your cruise goes elsewhere, each passenger, including minor children, will need a passport.

If, for any reason, you must leave the ship in another country before the end of the cruise and travel via air from that country, you must have a passport to do so. If you boarded the cruise using only your BC and ID, then you will have to obtain a passport, in person, from a U.S. Embassy or Consulate. This may require extensive travel since the port of call where you disembark may not be anywhere near a U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

So, it comes down to your assessment of the risk of having to disembark before the end of the cruise and how comfortable you are with assuming that risk.

You are going to get lots of people who insist you all should have a passport and some people who will say that the risk vs. cost of the passports tips in favor of just using BCs. It's your decision as none of us has a dog in this fight.

You are going to get lots of people who insist you all should have a passport and some people who will say that the risk vs. cost of the passports tips in favor of just using BCs. It's your decision as none of us has a dog in this fight.

Best advice!

I think the OP gets all this. The question is if carnival has to unload all the guest in say Mexico how do you get home without a passport. We all know this has happened on occassion!! We all know the people that did not have passports are not still sitting in Mexico . So how does it happen?

I think the OP gets all this. The question is if carnival has to unload all the guest in say Mexico how do you get home without a passport. We all know this has happened on occassion!! We all know the people that did not have passports are not still sitting in Mexico . So how does it happen?

See post #8 for the answer.

For Mexico, the Passport Card is sufficient, along with Canada, Bermuda, and the Caribbean islands.

You cannot fly internationally on a Passport card. It must be a Passport Book.

If for some reason you miss the cruise at the port of embarkation the person without a passport could not fly to catch up to the ship in a foreign port.

Edited by DebJ14

IF people are put off the ship and have no passport in a foreign country, its not all gloom and doom! For pete's sake, the U.S. consulate or embassy in that country will be contacted and a temporary travel permit will be issued for those U.S. citizens. It might take a day or two, but there are consulate/embassy employees who are specifically mandated to handle these types of situations,.

Has anyone wondered why the Triumph limped home to Mobile and not to Mexico which was much closer than Mobile. There would have been a true disaster on their hands having to get 1000+ people to the nearest consulate to get them the proper documentation to allow them to get back into the US.

There should be a requirement for a passport. The reason they drag their feet is so many Americans cruise and the added cost of passports is a reason people would stop cruising. Now, if you were going to take your family to Mayan Riviera for vacation instead of a cruise you would need to get a passport, so just change the rules and make everyone have a passport and reduce the cost of the passport by 30-40% to make it more affordable...

I need a passport to get into the US or any country, and guess what people of CC, it's a great document to have if you wanna jump on a plane the next day and have lunch in Paris or the Queen invites me for tea.....ok, so that's a nice dream, but it is true!

Have a friend in a horrible situation that ended up ok

he has a passport gf didn't want to spend money for it. During the cruise he had a stroke and was removed and transported to the ER in Belize. She thought she would be allowed to stay and missed the ship. The embassy had to get involved so she could be flown back home, a week later. They also had to pay the bill before the left.

Exactly. I'm sure it could be done. But weigh the cost of getting temporary travel per,it's plus the cost of lodging while waiting for those and travel expenses to get there.....against the cost of a passport once every 10 years....why not just get the passport. I think I have convinced him it's for the best so hopefully no more worries.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Has anyone wondered why the Triumph limped home to Mobile and not to Mexico which was much closer than Mobile. There would have been a true disaster on their hands having to get 1000+ people to the nearest consulate to get them the proper documentation to allow them to get back into the US.

There should be a requirement for a passport. The reason they drag their feet is so many Americans cruise and the added cost of passports is a reason people would stop cruising. Now, if you were going to take your family to Mayan Riviera for vacation instead of a cruise you would need to get a passport, so just change the rules and make everyone have a passport and reduce the cost of the passport by 30-40% to make it more affordable...

I need a passport to get into the US or any country, and guess what people of CC, it's a great document to have if you wanna jump on a plane the next day and have lunch in Paris or the Queen invites me for tea.....ok, so that's a nice dream, but it is true!

It was stated that because of the currents, by the time the tugs arrived they were closer to Mobile.

They don't march all the people without passports to the consulate.

There is a waiver provided from the Customs and Border patrol.(CBP)

Bill

I know there have been other threads about this. And I know a passport is not "required" on a closed loop US port to same US Port.

I also know that if you wanted to fly home from Mexico you'd HAVE to have the passport. That a passport card or BC would not help you.

However, my question is.......if for some reason, the ship had problems and you were forced to get off and fly home from a Mexican port because of the ship's issues....and you did not have a passport, would they see that you got home somehow?

I have a passport. And I strongly STRONGLY recommend everyone have a passport, for that unlikely event. But someone traveling with us is reluctant to get one, and spend the extra money for it, because they know they don't HAVE to have one for the cruise. And I know it's highly unlikely something like this would happen, but I just wanted to know if anyone knew if it was Carnival's fault (ship issues) would they help that person in any way, to get back home if they do not have a passport?

This is what happens.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1592606&page=70#1390

Bill

Since the OP's question involves the whole ship having issues here is what happened- the Dream had to disembark all passengers in St Martin because of a mechanical issue and CCL arranged to fly everyone home by commercial air or charter. Those without passports received a letter from CBP authorizing them to travel without a passport and they arrived back with everyone else.

As for an individual having problems there are provisions in the regulations for the State Department to waive the passport requirements for an emergency or for humanitarian reasons.

Exactly. I'm sure it could be done. But weigh the cost of getting temporary travel per,it's plus the cost of lodging while waiting for those and travel expenses to get there.....against the cost of a passport once every 10 years....why not just get the passport. I think I have convinced him it's for the best so hopefully no more worries.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That's a stronger argument for good travel insurance because even with a passport there will be extra expenses to pay.

First, the Triumph drifted too far north by the time the tugs got to her so it was closer to the US.

Second, there is no feet dragging involved. The regulations have been final for several years. DHS determined that a US citizen traveling on a closed loop cruise presents a low risk to the national security and it was that determination that led to the closed loop exception.

Third, you aren't a US citizen so of course none of these exceptions apply to you, although several provinces issue Enhanced Drivers Licenses that may used for land crossings and at sea points of entry.

Yes, jumping on a plane the next day and flying off to parts unknown is a great dream but many don't have the money or the time to be able to do that.

The Mexicans will not want you so you will be sent back to the US. The US will say they don't want you because you don't have a passport. So you will stay at the airport, push carts for tips, use the money to buy food in the restaurants, and at night time, you will entertain yourself by taking up painting murals on the walls. You will use the lost luggage, to find change of clothing, and make bedding to sleep on.

The Mexicans will not want you so you will be sent back to the US. The US will say they don't want you because you don't have a passport. So you will stay at the airport, push carts for tips, use the money to buy food in the restaurants, and at night time, you will entertain yourself by taking up painting murals on the walls. You will use the lost luggage, to find change of clothing, and make bedding to sleep on.

Yep

This is how airports are staffed. Those workers were on cruises and they missed the ship without a passport. They've been stuck working at the airport ever since.

Obviously, it's the individual's decision. However, for peace of mind I would suggest they get one. It's less than $10 a year, for me that's pretty cheap peace of mind. If the entire ship gets dumped off somewhere I would guess special arrangements would happen quickly. Chance of that vs any one individual getting dumped off to fly home? You decide?

I just spent more than $250 to get an expedited passport for my month old granddaughter so we could go to Club Med in 15 days, so you get no sympathy from me. A passport for a one month old, wow I hope the nation feels safer. However, it will make for a great conversation piece in the future.