Suggestions Needed - Spring Break Cruise for Mom & Daughter

I've been on several cruises with my husband and also with our family but now my 17 year old daughter and I are thinking of taking a "mom/daughter" cruise for Spring Break. My daughter is very active and likes to stay constantly busy while I would love to do sightseeing and relax!

Looking at the itineraries for Royal Caribbean, I'm trying to find an Eastern itinerary of 7 or less nights on one of the larger ships. My daughter has been on the Navigator and Freedom so I think any of the smaller/older ships would be disappointing. I can't find the right ship/itinerary/price for our dates. I would like to do this as economically as possible in order to spend more on excursions. I don't want the Belize, Honduras or Jamaica ports.

Any ideas on an itinerary either on RC or another line that would be great for a mom/teen daughter?

Looks like your choices for eastern carib next March would be Freedom, Oasis, or Allure. Price wise, Navigator out of Galveston tends to be less expensive, but it does not do eastern. Indy does eastern, but only 8 night next March.

Freedom would probably be the least expensive that fits your contraints.

Depending on your break schedule (ours starts on April 2 and runs until April 12) Oasis does the Eastern Caribbean out of FLL on April 4 for 7 nights, Independence does the Western Caribbean out of FLL on April 5 for 6 nights, Allure does the Western Caribbean out of FLL for 7 nights on April 5, Freedom does the Eastern Caribbean out of PCN for 7 nights on April 5, Navigator does the Western Caribbean out of GAL for 7 nights on April 5 and Liberty does the Western Caribbean out of FLL for 5 nights on April 6.

If you're going in March, then it's pretty much the same ships with the same amount of days.

ETA: Indy does an alternating 6 night/8 night shift through March.

Edited by njmomof2

Thank you all...I guess I want the perfect ship/itinerary for our departure date which is March 14 or 15. I will keep looking and may have to pay more for one of the bigger ships...was hoping to grab a bargain on an interior room but no bargains at that time of year!!

On another note: has anyone cruised as a mom/daughter duo before? I'm a bit nervous not to be with a bigger group and don't want my daughter to get too bored with her middle-aged mama!!

Hmm - big ship and "ideal" itinerary. Think you have a problem. Allure and Oasis are so large that very few ports can handle them. Plus both ships tend to be more expensive due to all the onboard amenities. If you really want more ports you are going to have to take a smaller ship.

If you really want to see the Eastern Caribbean ports, you might want to look into sailing out of San Juan. These cruises don't eat up four days getting to that area and San Juan is a pretty neat place itself. WARNING: Do not attempt snorkeling excursions five days in a row.....this is NOT relaxing!

Thank you all...I guess I want the perfect ship/itinerary for our departure date which is March 14 or 15. I will keep looking and may have to pay more for one of the bigger ships...was hoping to grab a bargain on an interior room but no bargains at that time of year!!

On another note: has anyone cruised as a mom/daughter duo before? I'm a bit nervous not to be with a bigger group and don't want my daughter to get too bored with her middle-aged mama!!

My daughter wanted to do a mother/daughter cruise for Spring Break. Her break is March 14. I had many reservations as she is 21 and I do not plan on going out with her at night. She told me it did not matter and wanted to spend time with me. She is a sr in college. I am going to surprise her with the Liberty cruise to Belize and Cancun. I think 5 days is enough. We have been on Liberty before and I look forward to doing spa days together and warmer weather than NY.

I second the recommendation of sailing from San Juan. Adventure is a sister ship to Navigator, so the onboard activities and amenities would be similar. We've sailed out of SJ twice (going again in March) and we love the southern Caribbean itineraries. Very port intensive - lots to see and do.

Just bit the bullet and booked Allure - 7 night Eastern departing March 15!

I was pricing out an all-inclusive/flights in the Dominican Republic and the cruise/flights turns out to be cheaper.

So excited to give this to my daughter as a Christmas gift!!!! My husband and son are climbing Killamanjaro in Africa in January so now the girls get their own trip!!!!

What's everyone's experience with traveling as a middle-aged mom/teen daughter duo on a cruise?