Tips- who gets them and how much is included in the price we pay?

I think most companies give the option to remove tips if you wish. Thomson don't. No choice.

I know from past experience the majority of passengers, myself included, do tip extra at the end of the cruise.

I have been at a table for eight on most cruises and have noticed some passengers don't use the MDR on the last night, even although they have been at the same table all week.

I have also noticed a few people just get up and shake hands with the waiters on the last night and I have seen the disappointment on the waiter's faces when they haven't received a tip.

I would much rather tip personally at the end of the cruise (and I always do) to show my appreciation.

I certainly don't grudge my tips, but most of us are tipping twice.

Thomson should give us the choice to tip as we see fit.

i'm not sure that we are tipping twice? (we certainly are paying twice...but i dont think the tips included in the fare is going to the crew as tips/bonuses?) tips factored into the fare are being used to top up salaries to a minimum industry standard, imo tips should be a bonus paid on top of regular salary not a portion of it

from what I understand?.... if princess or p&o have a good week of auto tips then the crew should have a share in that windfall, instead their wages are cut (or topped up) to reflect the level of tipping on any given week, any cash saved by making up salaries with auto tips goes into the pockets of the cruise line:(

Edited by geomagot

I understand what you are saying Geomagot. Most of us are paying twice and Thomson know that. I know tipping cabin crew and waiters at the end of the cruise is optional, but I for one could not walk away without showing my appreciation in person. I have often tipped more on Thomson cruises than I would have paid on other cruise lines which set a daily amount per person.

I understand what you are saying Geomagot. Most of us are paying twice and Thomson know that. I know tipping cabin crew and waiters at the end of the cruise is optional, but I for one could not walk away without showing my appreciation in person. I have often tipped more on Thomson cruises than I would have paid on other cruise lines which set a daily amount per person.

Well we do tip on Thomson but not more than the £200+ auto gratuity we paid on one line.

I think most companies give the option to remove tips if you wish. Thomson don't. No choice.

I know from past experience the majority of passengers, myself included, do tip extra at the end of the cruise.

I have been at a table for eight on most cruises and have noticed some passengers don't use the MDR on the last night, even although they have been at the same table all week.

I also noticed a few people just get up and shake hands with the waiters on the last night and I have seen the disappointment on the w haveaiter's faces when they haven't received a tip.

I would much rather tip personally at the end of the cruise (and I always do) to show my appreciation.

Just a small point here.

My husband always shakes the waiters hands on the last night but he has cash concealed in them. We just like to be discrete.

Mrs Red Scorpion and I do tip a couple of people usually but we also leave a donation to the crew welfare fund at reception. This money helps the crew deal with many months away from their loved ones as well as providing help for those crew members who need help. Contributing to the welfare fund isn't then random but goes to help pay for a staff party that brings a little fun to those who make our holidays fun and it helps crew members based upon their need for help rather than upon the popularity of their personality.

Finally if you really want to help an individual crew member then mention what a great job they did in your end of cruise survey. The length of a crew member's contract can depend upon such things and an extra month at sea is worth much more than a tip.

Mrs Red Scorpion and I do tip a couple of people usually but we also leave a donation to the crew welfare fund at reception. This money helps the crew deal with many months away from their loved ones as well as providing help for those crew members who need help. Contributing to the welfare fund isn't then random but goes to help pay for a staff party that brings a little fun to those who make our holidays fun and it helps crew members based upon their need for help rather than upon the popularity of their personality.

Finally if you really want to help an individual crew member then mention what a great job they did in your end of cruise survey. The length of a crew member's contract can depend upon such things and an extra month at sea is worth much more than a tip.

Two excellent ideas :D

trouble is (i have heard on the grapevine)....that they dont give you an end of cruise customer satisfaction questionaire anymore (not even on the airline!) they send you an email link (spam) to an online checkbox survey instead...I havnt seen one yet so dont know if there is a box where passengers can add their comments on service from individual crew members?

Edited by geomagot