Chikungunya virus

RetiredRich

We are headed out on the Freedom next week and are sure bringing OFF mosquito repellent. I have seen a news article about ST. Maarten having big problems with that virus. That is one of the Freedom stops. We are even considering staying on the ship for that port. I have not seen any other warnings about it on Cruise Critic. If you are headed that way be sure to bring and use repellent.

I just returned from a one week land based vacation in Jamaica where the virus is also an issue. Being a post-transplant patient and immunosuppressed I had to be extra vigilent with the bug repellent and even got the repellent bracelets. So far I have been fine. So with that being said, you should be ok but as always, I say use your best judgment and do what is best for you.

As long as you have a good bug spray you should be fine. I have a minister that is going to work as a Missionary in the Dominican Republic and has spent several weeks back and forth already and both she and her husband are fine. It is a misquitto found in many of the islands in the Caribbean not just one or 2. Do not stay on the boat on the off chance you might get bitten.