A few questions from a first timer

daydreamer62

Firstly I'm a complete newbie to cruising . I never knew of cruise critic before last week and I've already answered lots of my questions by reading this forum, so thanks !! I must say though that much of what I've read gave me even more questions!!

Firstly I live in New Zealand so different rules may apply but I'll ask anyway!

I've booked a cruise on the Island princess from Barcelona to Venice on june3 next year. We booked through a travel agent and have paid a deposit on an OE grade ocean view room that the TA chose for us , and been granted $175 onboard credit.

Before paying the deposit I asked the TA what happens if the price drops before we have to make full payment. He said our paying the deposit was accepting the price and so that was final . but from what I read here that's not always the case, is that correct ?? Also I've read about being offered upgrades and up sells.. Is that not likely to happen seeing we booked through a TA??? . regardless of being offered an upgrade free or cheaply, what if we decide we want a balcony after all ?? (We decided initially the extra $800 would be better spent on excursions . )

Thanks in advance for your advise!

There are different rules for different countries....It appears that Australian rules are similar to UK rules...they don't give the price flexibility that the US does.

As far as "upgrades", you are unlikely to see that anywhere...they are quite rare!

Edited by cb at sea

Not fretting nor have hopes, high or otherwise of upgrades but it's interesting that American customers seem to have different 'rules' regarding price drops than passengers from other countries.. Not that that suprises me either as we've often paid a premium for living outside of the US , though with recent globalisations things have improved in other areas of life thankfully!!

I'm excited beyond belief to be doing this cruise regardless of the cabin location .. I'm please that it appears that ive done the right thing by booking now.

• 2 weeks later...