4 liter box Franzia wine Help

Jerlyn

My wife and I always find a liquor store near the port and buy 2 boxes of Black Box wine. She gets Chardonnay and I get Cabernet; about $19.99 each.

Each box equals four bottles of wine and that works out perfect for our cruise. The box fits easily in the cabin fridge. . Hope that helps

Back in the day, when Princess' enforcement was a lot looser, I used to pack decent boxed wine. But I'm thinking that Princess probably doesn't have a consistent rule re: corkage charges for carrying boxed wine aboard. The official policy (from the Answer Book) is: "Wine in a box is not encouraged," which is different from "not allowed."

Enforcement of the wine rules is getting progressively stricter, but can still be whimsical. Last cruise, my husband and I had a single bottle apiece in identical carry-ons. I was directed over to the Booze Registration Table but he wasn't.

So..... $15? $75? Confiscated, especially if discovered in checked luggage? Is it worth spending over fifteen bucks for 750 ml of Franzia? Anybody actually carry on a box of wine lately?

"Tip it, Kathleen." (Kathy Griffin joke....)

Edited by shepp

Enforcement is not always consistent, but you are allowed to carry on two 750 ml bottles at embarkation with no charge. Any additional bottles of up to 750 ml can be brought on with payment of $15 per bottle.

That is it, no boxes greater than 750ml

Officially, that's a bit over 5 bottles, so they could charge a corkage fee for 3 bottles ($45) if it's for two people.

I've seen some people say they were charged, others not.

It should be in your carry on bag to prevent possible confiscation though, as they treat any alcohol not in original containers or in checked bags as "smuggled" onboard.

we have always brought on 2 boxes of wine and just did it a few months ago. We pack it in our main luggage and have never had a problem. We will keep doing it until we are told not too!:eek:

You have indeed kinda been told not to. You just chose to disregard that. And, as has been said, enforcement has really tightened up, and probably varies from port to port and maybe even scanner to scanner.

Can anyone explain how they charge for the 4 liter box wine. I see a lot about bottles but nothing about box wine. First cruise in 9 years so a little rusty.

Thank you in advance.:confused:

I have only taken on the small boxes of wine.(two,500ml for me & my husband) This is under the 750 ml/person.

My luggage tag says:Bringing alcohol onboard? Please remember our carry- on policy: one 750 ml bottle of wine or champagne per adult per voyage,which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom.

Additional wine or champagne are welcome,but will incur a $15. corkage fee per bottle. Other liquors,spirits, or beer are prohibited. Luggage is subject to search.

So a 4L box maybe subject to a fee? I would try it and see what happens, the worst is that you will have one very expensive box of wine if you incur the fees. If it makes it through to your cabin, I say enjoy.

Edited by arizonaperson

You have indeed kinda been told not to. You just chose to disregard that. And, as has been said, enforcement has really tightened up, and probably varies from port to port and maybe even scanner to scanner.

Yes I'm a bad boy and will continue to bring my boxes on.....

Nah Nah Nah

LOL

Have a good day!;)

we have always brought on 2 boxes of wine and just did it a few months ago. We pack it in our main luggage and have never had a problem. We will keep doing it until we are told not too!:eek:

On our South American cruise on the Golden, we packed 2 5 liter boxes of Chardonnay in our checked baggage. It arrive in our cabin with out a problem.

Now the story about the 2 bottles of scotch I wanted them to hold for me was another matter

Nah Nah Nah

LOL

Have a good day!;)

If that's your picture in your avatar, they'll probably now be using facial recognition to ID you at the gangway and will turn your luggage inside out looking for that illegal hooch!! :D

Remove the bag from the box and it's much harder for them to pick out on the scanner. ;)

But much easier to smell it once it gets a hole punched into the bag.....

Bottom line is you are allowed 750ml per person per cruise no matter how it is packaged. Not getting caught doesn't make it right.

Terry

But much easier to smell it once it gets a hole punched into the bag.....

Bottom line is you are allowed 750ml per person per cruise no matter how it is packaged. Not getting caught doesn't make it right.

Terry

The bags they use in boxed wine are much tougher than say a Ziploc plastic. You would have to have it next to something sharp and jump on your suitcase to actually perforate the bag and besides we always carry on our bags so they don't get piled on to begin with.

Oh BTW- the bags are reusable. Just wash them out with a mild detergent when you get home & you're ready for the next cruise.

Thank you everyone for your help, but I still need to find out what it would cost to bring a 4 liter box wine onboard. Maybe I have to call Princess. Thank you again.

Edited by Jerlyn

I think the consensus answer is that no one really knows for sure; it would depend on how the rule is interpreted and enforced. I you are allowed one bottle a person with a $15 fee for additional bottles and the box of wine is the equivalent of 4 bottles, then it would be safe to assume that Princess could charge $30 for the 2 "bottles" above and beyond what you are allowed. Personal experiences vary.

Recently, I had a box of wine in my suitcase, which went through with no problems. i also had a bottle in my carry on and my DH had one in his carry on. I also had a box which was taped closed which had some soda, water, room decorations and 2 additional bottles of wine. I had intended to carry that as well, and pay for the extra fee. Last minute at the port I decided to slap a luggage tag on, not really paying attention to what was in it, but thinking it was one less thing to carry. As we were boarding we were never asked to declare any wine so just went through. When the box was delivered to my room, there was a note saying it had been inspected and since there was wine found, we "could" expect to be contacted regarding the fee. We were never contacted (likely because we were never asked to declare the bottles we had in our carry on). I do not expect that to be the case all the time, and I would have paid the fee, but am not going to go out of my way to pay it. We do still spend alot of money on our bar bill.

Thank you everyone for your help, but I still need to find out what it would cost to bring a 4 liter box wine onboard. Maybe I have to call Princess. Thank you again.

No one here can tell you. Two things could happen....it won't be found, if you don't tell. OR you will probably be charged for at least two extra bottles, $30. Still less than you'd pay for 4 bottles of wine onboard. No harm trying if you want.

I wouldn't count on anything you hear when calling customer service. Things you hear there are often contradicted in reality.;)

Nah Nah Nah

LOL

Have a good day!;)

Really, LOL Hey, live and let live guys. So Dan is willing to take a risk. Is there a need to lecture him??? Keep the panties on.