NOS Grand Cayman Tender Question

derbygirl520

Hi guys,

I'm interested in doing a non-RC excursion for the stingrays in Grand Cayman (something a bit more private and with additional activities). There are lots of good suggestions on these forums...thanks guys!

In my past experience, I've done RC excursions in tender ports. How tough is it to get off the boat if you are waiting for a tender, and remind me of the time frame to catch the tender back!

Thanks guys,

DG

Just sailed on Navigator to Cayman last month... RC ship sponsored excursions get off the ship first at Cayman. It took us over an hour & barely made our appointment time (we had a ship sponsored excursion booked).

All others have to get tender tickets & don't get to get off until all others are off..... Could be hours. I wouldn't pre-book anything not ship sponsored unless you can get a full refund if you miss the set time.

It is not a good experience for anyone.... Ship sponsored excursions or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by SRV FAN

Booked with nativeway in June on the freedom and had no problem getting on one of the first tenders. The tour operators understand that the Rci excursions get off first so it's not a problem. We had 13 people on our tour and 9 of them were our group. A whole lot cheaper than ship sponsored. I would never do a ship excursion.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It will NOT be "hours"!! The 1st tender does have ship excursion participants, but the tenders hold about 150 or more, and not every ship's excursion starts first thing in the morning!! You should be able to hop on the next tender....they run about every 15-20 mins.

Edited by cb at sea

It will NOT be "hours"!! The 1st tender does have ship excursion participants, but the tenders hold about 150 or more, and not every ship's excursion starts first thing in the morning!! You should be able to hop on the next tender....they run about every 15-20 mins.

This WAS our experience three weeks ago. So yes...... It "COULD" take hours.... Hope it doesn't... Just be prepared to wait..... Oh and we were on the SECOND tender for ship excursions.... And there was at least another...... And we sat on our tender for 45 minutes while it filled up... 250 passengers. I am not saying don't book an excursion on your own... Just make sure what you pay is refundable or they will wait for you if your tender is delayed... That is all. Once the initial groups get tothe island.... The tenders do run back & forth faster... But the first ones take a long time... At least it did for us.

Edited by SRV FAN

This WAS our experience three weeks ago. So yes...... It "COULD" take hours.... Hope it doesn't... Just be prepared to wait..... Oh and we were on the SECOND tender for ship excursions.... And there was at least another...... And we sat on our tender for 45 minutes while it filled up... 250 passengers. I am not saying don't book an excursion on your own... Just make sure what you pay is refundable or they will wait for you if your tender is delayed... That is all. Once the initial groups get tothe island.... The tenders do run back & forth faster... But the first ones take a long time... At least it did for us.

Your ship must have had some issues with tendering. In all my experiences in both Cayman and aboard the NOS, we've always been off within the first hour of "open doors". And we usually book our own excursions and we rarely rush, so I'd say the norm is to be off within an hour or so.

For getting back on board, it's usually 30 minute prior to departure will be all aboard. Be sure to be near the tender dock 1 hr prior to departure in case there is a line to board.