do you book thru any online places

Joie

Just curious.......we have always booked thru Carnival, but starting to see that some offers SOUND good online.............is it better deals and any problems arise form doing this?

Always used a PVP and afraid to do it any other way.

Any info greatly appreciated.

I used to book through an online TA until i found out that they charge to process any price reductions. Some TAs are pretty good from what I hear and some are downright crappy. I'd rather keep my booking at Carnival and book only through them. $25 OBC or whatever they are offering isn't worth giving up my peace of mind of being able to control my own booking.

I book with the airlines using other sources to book does not really save me money. Booking thru Carnival is a waste of time the flights going are ok for the departures but the return home is a nightmare.

Gary

Edited by Shipbound

No I just meant the cruise itself....I would NEVER let them book my air........way too expensive and always usually get really bad timing for flights. It's like they take all the leftovers that nobody wants.

I always book through the same online agency. I have a specific travel agent at the agency. He is great. No change fees, extra onboard credits, and special gifts. Now we have booked 5 or 6 cruises with them so I am not saying that everyone gets those benefits. Anyway, with proper research, you can find a great online travel agent. Good luck!

Just curious.......we have always booked thru Carnival, but starting to see that some offers SOUND good online.............is it better deals and any problems arise form doing this?

Always used a PVP and afraid to do it any other way.

Any info greatly appreciated.

I have done both, and not had a problem either way. Here is my criteria, for what it is worth.

I check fares and offers on Carnival and a variety of OTA sites (only large ones I am sure about).

If the offers are reasonably close, I book direct with Carnival.

Sometimes the OTA's have significant offers. "Paid gratuities", "Free travel insurance", etc.

If the offer is significant, then I go through the OTA, and live with the added layer to changes.

There is truth to the statement that having a TA adds another company to now deal with. The rules for fare drops, upgrades, etc. all become more challenging. Yes, some TA's will charge you additional change fees.

Just read the terms and conditions closely. Make sure to know for yourself what terms of you are booking under.

We have used both Carnival and another on-line website that advertises the last minute deep discount cruises. Those don't qualify for price drops generally so I don't worry about it if I'm going last minute. Didn't have any issues with the booking or process etc.

I've done both, it really depends on the circumstances.

Booking within 3 or so months, happy with the price, plans are firm - I'd book with whoever gives the best deal at the time and not look back.

Booking for a longer timeframe, interested in possible price drops, plans may not be completely firm - I'd book direct with the cruiseline in this situation.

I always book through our Carnival PVP. I qualify for a discounted rate and eligibility must be verified, so I have to go through someone to get that done. But even if I didn't qualify for any discounted rates that requires verification, I'd still stick to a PVP. It doesn't cost extra to use their services, yet you still have someone who works directly for Carnival there to answer your questions and to assist you with any issue that may arise.

With that said, when booking a different cruise line, it does pay to shop around, since rates can vary wildly from one agency to another. You can save hundreds of dollars.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

TAs can be hit or miss. I used a TA for all cruises but one because I found a good one. I get free trip insurance, free drink coupons, wine, gift baskets, trinkets, small OBC, etc., but no real difference in price. Doing a price adjust through my TA is no more hassle or worry than doing one through my PVP. I can manage my actual booking online regardless of how it was booked. My TA is no different a "layer" than my PVP. So, I see no benefit at all with using a PVP or even booking directly online through Carnival.

Book through a ta. I always book last minute so price drops are not an issue. He always gives us a credit off his commission that beats the carnival price by a bit. This last time it was 25 bucks. Not much but its something.

I've booked online directly with Carnival, using a PVP, and an online TA. By the time I'm ready to book, I've done all my research. No problems with any method to date including getting price drops. But I search those out myself. Do whatever you are most comfortable with. Sometimes that may vary. Nothing wrong with using an online TA so long as it's a reputable one.

Edited by cruizinisthebest