Chefs table experience

djh

We went to Chefs table on our TA cruise and were a little disappointed. The food and wine were excellent, but we never saw the chef once, not even at the end of the meal. The sommelier directed the event and explained the wines and food. I kept thinking that maybe it was because it was a new ship, it was the 2nd night, and they were having issues so I didn't question it at the time. Later, I was asking the CK restaurant manager and he called someone (I'm not sure who) and was told that this is the way it will be done on the Quantum, sommelier led with no chef interaction. We have had such great experiences at other chefs tables and enjoyed having the chef explain in detail what it takes to prepare the food. I think that we will just skip it next time if this is the direction they are taking. Did anyone else have a different experience?

I dined at the Chef's Table on night 4 of the TA.

I went to check out the venue directly and actually met the 'actual chef' from the Philippines that was organizing the Chef's Table. This was at around noon on embarkation day.

I wanted to see the menu as my original reservation was for Chef's Table at Chops Grill, but that was later changed to just the Chef's Table. They did not have the menu available.

I was happy to meet one of my favorite waiters from Vision right away in Chops. When they understood I had experienced the Chef's Table often, they made sure I understood that they had changed the concept for Quantum and that each course would not be introduced by the Chef, nor would a photo op be held at the end. While they did not state that there would be no gift at the end, I found out later that there was no cookbook or other gift. The chef did not sign anything as well as a souvenir.

There was no invitation in the cabin for the 6:30 time. I had reservations on my TV and Royal IQ app for both 6:30 and 7:30 PM. One pair did arrive per their booking time at 7:30. The table was not set with the usual place settings and guests sat as they pleased.

I was still very satisfied with the experience, but found it very geared toward an 'American' market. While it was a quality experience, it was not an elegant event as I had maybe perceived it previously.

Interestingly on night 4, they did have a Spanish chef make two appearances during the course of the meal and he made his way around the table and was very pleasant and answered any questions.

A dated and personalized menu insert was placed in a menu holder titled 'Chefs Table at Chops Grill, Intimate and interactive. This was the only souvenir item.

The menu included:

Hearts of Palm Salad w/ Rhone, France Blanc

Sweet Pea Soup w/California Chardonnay

Butter Poached Lobster w/ Burgundy, France Chardonnay

Braised Short Rib Ravioli w/ Tuscan Montaicino Sangioveese

Prime Beef Tenderloin w/ California Cabernet Sauvignon

Chocolate Sabotage w/ Dessert (Lemon Ginger Cheesecake) Martini

We are huge Chef's Table fans. Thank you for this information. We have a reservation for our January cruise on Quantum that I will now cancel.:(

To each his own, but I really enjoyed the elegant experience of interacting with the Chef, having place settings, and the cookbook was a lovely touch with the Chef's autograph. I have made several recipes from each of our three cookbooks and it always brings back fond memories.

Thanks again for reviewing the changes!

Tara

Edited by tarajean1962

I'm sorry to hear of these changes too. Isn't it called CHEF'S Table, and, by definition, one would expect to meet the chef!!

The first I went to did have a great sommelier (who is actually supposed to be working on Quantum, but I am uncertain in what capacity.) he was very personable and really helped to make the evening. We also had a good chef that was able to speak well and answer questions. The sommelier said that wasn't always the case. So maybe that's part of the reason?

Other assumptions are that maybe there is no longer just one assigned chef. Plus, since the ship will be transitioned to Asia, it's probably hard enough getting a chef that speaks English let alone Chinese!!

Sorry to hear of poor experiences for Chef's Table. This was posted today on the LIVE thread, regarding their experience on Quantum:

>snip< Chef's Table - A BIG disappointment. We booked this the first night thinking it would be so special the first night of the cruise. We do Chef's table on all our cruises and enjoy it. Just not done well on Quantum. They crowded 20 people around a table that is supposed to be for 16. Only used 2 bottles of wine per course for 20 that should have been for 16 so very little wine. Food good, but never saw the chef or had information regarding the food being served and the pairing of wines. A small room with very bad acoustics and just too loud. I sound lie a complainer, but really I am not. We paid $170. We canceled the second Chef's table we had booked for Friday night and changed to Choppes with a nice bottle of Caymus for the same price as Chef's table. :o

I just wanted to add a little balance to the discussion as mine was not at all a poor experience, but it was different than other Chef's Table experiences.

The waiter (sommelier) was very experienced and had come over from Oasis and did a very good job with what he was working with. I am not sure at which level the changes had come from.

Calling this separate dining room a 'small room' is not very accurate as it was a very comfortable and well presented venue for the Chef's Table.

The food and wines were presented on night four of the TA.

As the waiter also has responsibilities for the breakfast and lunch times at the Concierge and Diamond lounges, I was able to talk with him a couple of times throughout the cruise and he mentioned it was fully booked each night on the TA sailing.

I am wondering if those on the first night also had their entire payment refunded as OBC as was the case with all the other specialty venues on night one. I was given $45 + $9 in OBC for my first night Wonderland booking refunded to my shipboard account.

I had in no way complained about my absolutely wonderful experience in Wonderland that evening, but did appreciate the gesture.

I just wanted to add a little balance to the discussion as mine was not at all a poor experience, but it was different than other Chef's Table experiences.

The waiter (sommelier) was very experienced and had come over from Oasis and did a very good job with what he was working with. I am not sure at which level the changes had come from.

Calling this separate dining room a 'small room' is not very accurate as it was a very comfortable and well presented venue for the Chef's Table.

The food and wines were presented on night four of the TA.

As the waiter also has responsibilities for the breakfast and lunch times at the Concierge and Diamond lounges, I was able to talk with him a couple of times throughout the cruise and he mentioned it was fully booked each night on the TA sailing.

I am wondering if those on the first night also had their entire payment refunded as OBC as was the case with all the other specialty venues on night one. I was given $45 + $9 in OBC for my first night Wonderland booking refunded to my shipboard account.

I had in no way complained about my absolutely wonderful experience in Wonderland that evening, but did appreciate the gesture.

That was my review quoted above. We booked a at both the first night and again Friday night. Have always LOVED CT numerous times we have done it. How can you go wrong with great wine and great food with a chef explaining food and Wine pairing..... The room was meant for 16 and that could have been much better. They had 20 of us around the table. Had to use 4 smaller chairs as 20 of the normal would not fit. The room was too small for 20. They only used 2 bottles of wine per course which is what they use for 16. We had no price adjustment or credit and paid full price or $170 which was the price charged when we booked it the first day reservations were available for dynamic dining. Sommelier was very tentative and brief in his interaction and descriptions. Was not the special night we had anticipated. We canceled our Friday night reservation.

This is good information. We did CT on Legend and it was fantastic. Yes, we did have a champagne reception, assigned seating, the chef was VERY present and interactive, and I do have the memento table settings as well as the cookbook that I have used a few times.

For the price paid it should be a memorable evening. I don't want a wine sommelier explaining the food to me any more than I want the chef explaining the wine. On Legend there were very liberal pours of wine as well. No chef, no cookbook, no reception (or so it sounds).

Yes, what someone said is what it sounds like, a wine pairing at a less expensive dinner.

I will choose to remember the fantastic evening we had on Legend. I won't diminish that memory by booking any half-effort Chef's Table's in the future that could not possibly measure up.

That was my review quoted above. We booked a at both the first night and again Friday night. Have always LOVED CT numerous times we have done it. How can you go wrong with great wine and great food with a chef explaining food and Wine pairing..... The room was meant for 16 and that could have been much better. They had 20 of us around the table. Had to use 4 smaller chairs as 20 of the normal would not fit. The room was too small for 20. They only used 2 bottles of wine per course which is what they use for 16. We had no price adjustment or credit and paid full price or $170 which was the price charged when we booked it the first day reservations were available for dynamic dining. Sommelier was very tentative and brief in his interaction and descriptions. Was not the special night we had anticipated. We canceled our Friday night reservation.

I can definitely understand not doing the same menu 2 times on the same sailing.

I knew they had overbooking situations at many venues and were cancelling reservations, but am sorry they overcrowded you. We were the intended 16 and it was perfect. The waiter did mention that he had 18 one night, but never told me about the evening with 20.

I wonder why they credited all other specialty venues for night one and included free wine and then did not do that for the Chef's Table. We were surprised at Wonderland. I had prepaid for Wonderland and Chefs Table as well.

I do not think the waiter was extremely happy with all of the changes they had made, but as a professional had to present the dinner in the best possible way. He has run the Chef's Table for years on other ships. I also wonder if the appearance on 2 occasions on night 4 by a Spanish waiter was due to complaints about the concept change and that they were already reacting and adapting through the week.

I met some C&A Pinnacle member guests that were at the Chef's Table on night 2 and they were also satisfied for the most part, but did note the changes prior to my experience. In no way did the changes make me want to cancel, but that is why it is good for others to know about the changes prior to sailing. I think the first time guest at my seating were generally happy.

• 4 weeks later...
Two questions please... has anyone done CT on Legend of the Seas? What time is the seating for the dinner? Thank you!

I felt the Quantum CT was too early having been moved to 6:30 PM, having originally been booked for 7:30 PM, which is usual on most ships.

Well, I was on the Legend in September on the first half of the TA sailing from Oslo and found they had everything running 'way too early' on that Legend sailing. They were actually trying to have CT at 5:30 PM. We did not book and as they only had 2 nights confirmed on the sailing, asked him to try to market a later time for one night, but he was not successful and I did not get to experience it on Legend.

The venue is a little different as it would have noise from the MDR below and surrounding as you are only closed in on 2.5 sides with the table is on a walkway over the MDR at the far end above the stairway.

On the TA they were planning on doing it two times with 2 different menus as they tend to have longer sailings on Legend.

Two questions please... has anyone done CT on Legend of the Seas? What time is the seating for the dinner? Thank you!

On Legend southern caribbean cruise our meeting time at Schooner Bar for Champagne was 6:45PM on the invitation.

The final photo on 'you-tube' is of the Spanish chef who did start making 2 appearances during the 3 hour evening by night 4 of the TA sailing.

The food was certainly on par with the 8 CT experiences I have had on other ships, just not the same. The lobster was certainly far above that served in the Grande. I am glad they change menu occasionally.

The wine pairings must not be forgotten as a crucial element and while obviously used to market wineries that RCI have a relationship with, they were appropriate and presented in a professional manner.

The venue was using the same furnishings and place settings used across the fleet for Chef's Table and the room was completely fine for the normal 16 guest evening we had.

The system of guest's 'checking in' with the waiter, getting a glass of champagne and being handed a personalized small menu card could probably be revised and I am not sure why moving away from set place settings was necessary.

As I was the only one that had experienced CT previously on my evening, I feel that most of the 'newbies' were very satisfied.

I think the bias that those of us that have experienced CT on other ships have should not be used to dissuade new CT diners from trying the experience on Q, but that we should 'inform' repeat guests that it is currently not the 'same' experience.

This is especially the case on Quantum with the move away from 'formal nights' and allows some an entire formal evening to celebrate a special occasion.