Two Similar Itineraries - Any Suggestions?

SunnyNy

I'd appreciate your opinions on this:

I'm interested in two very similar Silhouette cruises in September. One is 10 day, the other 9. Both are round trip Rome, and both have two sea days. The 9 day one eliminates Sardinia, and calls at Livorno rather than La Spezia. Everything else is identical. The 9 day is $600 less.

In your experiences, is Sardinia (and one more cruise day) worth the added expense? What do you think would be the pros/cons of LaSpezia vs. Livorno?

I can't speak to Sardinia. But what would your plan be for siteseeing? La Spezia is closer to some of the wonderful Italian Riviera towns and Cinque Terra, but Livorno is closer to Tuscany and Florence. As we've done Florence and Tuscany a few times, I'd go for La Spezia, but for someone new to the Region, I'd recommend Florence.

Edited by Cruise Junky

Lots of pros and cons here. I'm not familiar with Sardinia but for the most part a 10 day cruise is always better than a nine day cruise. At the same time how does the extra $600 for the 10th day compare to the daily rate for the 9 day cruise (total fare divided by nine)? Also, how does it compare to your total vacation cost? Once you add in airfare and the cost of any pre/post cruise stay the extra $600 might not be much of a difference.

I'm not familiar with Las Spezia either but looking at map I'd say it really depends on what you want to do at that port. If you're heading to Florence then it's an extra 40 or 50 minutes added onto the 70 minute drive each way from Livorno to Florence and back. This would seriously cut into the time you'd have in Florence unless the port time was extended. On the other hand if you want to go to Cinque Terre it would be much closer than Livorno.

-----------

Edit: I see that while I was typing my response that Cruise Junky beat me to the punch on my second point but I'll leave it above just the same.

Edited by Lsimon

I would go for the 9 day for the savings, & tack on some extra land based days.

Regarding La Spezia vs. Livorno, I actually prefer La Spezia. The train station is an easy walk from port (we were tendered, but were literally first off) From there you can go to Florence, Pisa, or Cinque Terre.

We took the train to Florence, it was about 90 minutes there, & you don't have to worry about getting from the ship to the train station like in Livorno. The train winds thru very scenic areas, you can see the marble quarries where Michelangelo's marble came from, & you'll get a glimpse of Pisa.

If you choose Livorno, I'd highly recommend sharing a private excursion with no more than 6 people to Florence, or Tuscany. We're dedicated DIY's but Livorno port makes it very difficult to get to the early morning train into Florence on your own. Celebrity will run a bus to the train station, but it doesn't leave asap, & you loose precious time in Florence, in my opinion.

All great points.

I'm ok with missing Sardinia. I'm sure it is beautiful, but we'll be stopping at Corsica on either cruise, and I suspect they are similar to the one-day cruise passenger.

I'm leaning toward the 10 day w/LaSpezia, though, as I've been to Florence a couple of times. Of course, I'd love to go again, but Cinque Terre has been on my bucket list.

Back to the drawing board!

Thanks for the input.

All great points.

I'm ok with missing Sardinia. I'm sure it is beautiful, but we'll be stopping at Corsica on either cruise, and I suspect they are similar to the one-day cruise passenger.

I'm leaning toward the 10 day w/LaSpezia, though, as I've been to Florence a couple of times. Of course, I'd love to go again, but Cinque Terre has been on my bucket list.

Thanks for the input.

It sounds like you're making the right choice for you, since you've been to Florence a few times already, La Spezia & the Cinque towns, would be a good choice.

I also found La Spezia itself quite charming, we were there in December of 2009, after our day in florence, we had a couple of beers & a dinner at a sidewalk cafe, the tourists were gone at that time of year, & the town was covered in Christmas decoration... happy memories :)

All great points.

Thanks for the input.

went to cinque terre in may ... highlight of our trip

It seems that med cruises are running at around $600- per day for better Balconies and Concierge, so I guess it isn't $600 cheaper, it is pretty much the same but the 10 day is a day longer. Someone suggested save the $600- for extra land time. After coming back from 10 days Spain and 10 days Italy , self driving, adding up cost of car hire, fuel, hotel, meals, drinks, you don't get much change out of $600- per day anyway.