First NCL cruise on the Star - various questions

shibainuinn

Sailing on the Star from LA to Miami through the PC on January 4, 2015. BF and I have booked an inside cabin (NBD, first cruise together, going for the Canal and not the cabin).

My first question is, are January cruises considered off-season? The reason I ask is because I wanted to know the potential adult-to-child ratio for this trip. What sort of audience does a trip of this nature draw? I'll be coming off a very, very stressful semester at school and I look forward to a bit of relaxation without having to pay extra for it (spa pass).

Second question - we arrive into LAX direct from MCI at 8:40AM. The first shuttle to the ship is at 9AM from Arrivals. What time will we be able to check-in and what restaurants will be open once on board? Will this be like other ships where they deliver your bags to you?

And lastly, I've read that inside cabins are sparsely furnished and do not have in-room coffee makers; what time does breakfast typically start? We're early birds and I'm usually up around 5:30 CST and I need my coffee. And is it considered gauche to bring your own mega-sized insulated Starbucks coffee travel mug?

Thank you all for any input!

Sailing on the Star from LA to Miami through the PC on January 4, 2015. BF and I have booked an inside cabin (NBD, first cruise together, going for the Canal and not the cabin).

My first question is, are January cruises considered off-season? The reason I ask is because I wanted to know the potential adult-to-child ratio for this trip. What sort of audience does a trip of this nature draw? I'll be coming off a very, very stressful semester at school and I look forward to a bit of relaxation without having to pay extra for it (spa pass).

Second question - we arrive into LAX direct from MCI at 8:40AM. The first shuttle to the ship is at 9AM from Arrivals. What time will we be able to check-in and what restaurants will be open once on board? Will this be like other ships where they deliver your bags to you?

And lastly, I've read that inside cabins are sparsely furnished and do not have in-room coffee makers; what time does breakfast typically start? We're early birds and I'm usually up around 5:30 CST and I need my coffee. And is it considered gauche to bring your own mega-sized insulated Starbucks coffee travel mug?

Thank you all for any input!

PC cruises are generally longer than the types of cruises people go on with their children. Since most schools start again right after New Year's Day, I would say the number of children on the ship will be quite low, the average cruiser being much older. The buffet and at least one of the main dining halls should be open on boarding day, with the dining hall being more relaxed and less crowded. Most ships you can check in starting about 9:30AM and the actual boarding will start right at or a few minutes before noon. I like to get up about 5:30 AM to take a walk and watch the sun rise, and coffee is no problem then plus continental breakfast, with the full breakfast on the Gem kicking in at 6:30 on normal days. There may be some green people who are boycotting Starbucks because Starbucks is fighting a Vermont green law, probably not many on the Star, so go for your coffee your style. You will be able to print out baggage tags from your MyNCL account and leave them at the pier, they usually are delivered to your cabin between 1 and 3 PM. I have never cruised on the Star, will be happy to answer any other questions you may have.

Fab, thanks for the info!

Any guess as to what could be the mystery space between inside mid-ship cabins 11033 and 11029 on the Star? I know you haven't been on it but I'd like to get some idea.

http://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/star/decks/2/11#tab_detail

Seems it was meant for 11031, could be a storage place for cleaning supplies. I don't think you need worry that it is the site of the crew's floating crap game or any such thing' You picked a quiet deck, although the higher you are the more you feel the waves, but this is usually not a problem as the Pacific lives up to it's name. Of course hurricane season is over in January in the Caribbean, so you should have smooth sailing. Enjoy!!

Fab, thanks for the info!

Any guess as to what could be the mystery space between inside mid-ship cabins 11033 and 11029 on the Star? I know you haven't been on it but I'd like to get some idea.

http://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/star/decks/2/11#tab_detail

I believe it's the new night nursery for babies under two years of age. As read on another cruise website.

Almost certainly is a work/storage area for the stewards. Once they start work you might or might not hear them in there a bit. Not at night though.

If your arriving at 8:40 you won't be able to make the 9 am shuttle, what time is the next one? I'm guessing your going to get to the ship around noon or so. Enjoy your cruise.

On the PC cruises they have been opening up the front crew area where the hot tubs are when you are going through the locks and canal.

You can also go up to the front of the ship up top or in the back there is deck space by the kids pool.

Mmm, chocolate croissants...

I'm so excited about this trip, y'all! Sitting here watching the snow melt makes me wish we were leaving tomorrow. I'm also watching The Love Boat on TV.

I think we will both be bringing our travel mugs from home so we don't have to keep refilling out coffee cups.

I have been picking up little tips here and there, so you guys have been incredibly helpful. Thank you!

Mmm, chocolate croissants...

I'm so excited about this trip, y'all! Sitting here watching the snow melt makes me wish we were leaving tomorrow. I'm also watching The Love Boat on TV.

And you are leaving from the same port and making some of the same stops as the Love Boat. How romantic:)