Does my 5 year old need a passport to go on Epic in 2 weeks?

CruiseCouple02

Hey everyone! I'm hoping someone knows this answer from experience because what I'm reading is a little confusing! We are going on Epic to the western Caribbean in 2 weeks and we ran into a small problem. When we cruise typically, we have a passport card for my 5 year old. This time we realized that his passport card was expiring in less than 6 months. We had read that a passport card has to be valid for at least six months past the date of travel in order to be valid. I booked the cruise about 6 weeks ago, so I knew that tried to get him a new passport card would be difficult. We immediately went to the courthouse to turn in the application. So far, we have not received the passport card back yet and unfortunately they took his old card to process with the new card. Are we going to be OK to cruise with him if we just have his birth certificate? I'm really worried that we are not going to get the passport card back in time. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

Hey everyone! I'm hoping someone knows this answer from experience because what I'm reading is a little confusing! We are going on Epic to the western Caribbean in 2 weeks and we ran into a small problem. When we cruise typically, we have a passport card for my 5 year old. This time we realized that his passport card was expiring in less than 6 months. We had read that a passport card has to be valid for at least six months past the date of travel in order to be valid. I booked the cruise about 6 weeks ago, so I knew that tried to get him a new passport card would be difficult. We immediately went to the courthouse to turn in the application. So far, we have not received the passport card back yet and unfortunately they took his old card to process with the new card. Are we going to be OK to cruise with him if we just have his birth certificate? I'm really worried that we are not going to get the passport card back in time. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

Here's the best answer I can give you because even all the NL reps will read you this is you call to question it!

Best of Luck!!

Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda, Alaska, Mexican Riviera, Or Canada & New England Cruises

For round-trip sailings (cruises that depart from and return to the same U.S. port), you may sail with either a valid passport, proof of citizenship and a valid government-issued photo I.D. (driver’s license with a photo), or any other WHTI compliant document.

Proof of Citizenship examples include:

• State certified U.S. birth certificate
  • Original certificate of U.S. naturalization
  • Original certificate of U.S. citizenship

Baptismal paper, hospital certificates of birth, and Puerto Rico birth certificates issued prior to 7/1/10 are not acceptable.

A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 do not require a government-issued photo ID.

For open-jaw sailings (cruises that depart from one U.S. port and return to a different U.S. port), you are required to carry:

• A valid passport
  • U.S. passport card
  • U.S. or Canadian Enhanced Drivers License
  • Permanent residents of the U.S. are required to carry their valid ARC cards for boarding AND passport from their country of citizenship, if available.

Note: If you miss your ship at its scheduled U.S. departure port and need to travel outside the U.S. to meet your ship, or should you unexpectedly need to depart the ship from a foreign port prior to the end of sailing, a passport would be required to leave or re-enter the U.S. by air. To that end, Norwegian Cruise Line strongly recommends all guests to obtain a passport for their voyage on any Norwegian Cruise Line vessel.

Since that is a closed loop cruise, beginning and ending in the same US port you will only need a state certified copy of the birth certificate for anyone under age 16. Over age 16 and you would also need the state issued photo ID. The Passport is suggested, but not required....it would be needed if you would have to fly back for an emergency.

http://www.ncl.com/about/required-travel-documentation

For round-trip sailings (cruises that depart from and return to the same U.S. port), you may sail with either a valid passport, proof of citizenship and a valid government-issued photo I.D. (driver’s license with a photo), or any other WHTI compliant document.

• State certified U.S. birth certificate
  • Original certificate of U.S. naturalization
  • Original certificate of U.S. citizenship

Baptismal paper, hospital certificates of birth, and Puerto Rico birth certificates issued prior to 7/1/10 are not acceptable.

****Guess my typing was too slow....LOL

Edited by Got Tequila?

The passport card is VALID until the expiration date printed on the card. You are good to go! You would not be able to re-enter the U.S. on the day past that validity date.

Since you are only "IN TRANSIT" to any country on your cruise you do not have to have the 30-60 day vailidity required for entry into specific countries.

Otherwise just bring the certified copy of the birth certificate...just a bigger piece of paper to schlep around. :D

edit: sorry I didn't completely read your post, yes the birth certificate is fine, so long as it is the certified one officially issued from the county/state.

Edited by Sauer-kraut

Thanks for the replies so far!

Jamaica is on the list of the countries that require the passport to be valid for 6 plus months, so that is why I sent for renewal. We are going to Ocho Rios on the cruise. The passport office took the current card to process the new one. I don't have a card at all for him right now because the new one has not arrived. It appears policy says I should be ok but I'm asking to see if anyone has had experience taking their child with just a BC.

Thanks for the replies so far!

Jamaica is on the list of the countries that require the passport to be valid for 6 plus months, so that is why I sent for renewal. We are going to Ocho Rios on the cruise. The passport office took the current card to process the new one. I don't have a card at all for him right now because the new one has not arrived. It appears policy says I should be ok but I'm asking to see if anyone has had experience taking their child with just a BC.

Jamaica does not require six months remaining validity of a passport for cruise passengers making a day visit. No country that allows US citizens on a closed loop cruise to enter without a passport does. It would be illogical for them to do so...think about it.

In fact according to the State Department, Jamaica only requires your passport to be valid at the time you enter their country, so your source of information appears to be wrong anyway.

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/country/jamaica.html

Quick Facts

PASSPORT VALIDITY:

Must be valid at time of entry

By the way, I'm not sure what other travel you do with your 5 yo, but if the only trips out of the US are closed loop cruises, the passport card is a waste of money. If you need to take an international flight, a passport book is required.

Edited by njhorseman

The six month rule you mentioned is not imposed by the U.S. on passports/passport cards but rather by certain countries that you may visit.

http://www.uspassporthelpguide.com/six-months-validity-rule/

While your statement is correct, the page you are citing is not an official government website but rather a private commercial site, and the information on the site should not be relied on as accurate or official. To give you an example, this site lists Jamaica as requiring six months remaining validity on a passport. According to the US State Department that is not true.

The passport card is VALID until the expiration date printed on the card. You are good to go! You would not be able to re-enter the U.S. on the day past that validity date.

Since you are only "IN TRANSIT" to any country on your cruise you do not have to have the 30-60 day vailidity required for entry into specific countries.

Otherwise just bring the certified copy of the birth certificate...just a bigger piece of paper to schlep around. :D

edit: sorry I didn't completely read your post, yes the birth certificate is fine, so long as it is the certified one officially issued from the county/state.

Sure you can if you cry well enough. My wife took my kids to Germany one year (flying) and misread my daughter's passport. She flew to Germany, spent a month there, and the fact that the passport expired before the trip even started wasn't noticed until she tried to return home. Enough crying and they let her on the plane. Not saying it's right, but it can be done.

Sure you can if you cry well enough. My wife took my kids to Germany one year (flying) and misread my daughter's passport. She flew to Germany, spent a month there, and the fact that the passport expired before the trip even started wasn't noticed until she tried to return home. Enough crying and they let her on the plane. Not saying it's right, but it can be done.

LOL ..... I guess that is always a good "plan B" :D

I understand now that the info about the 6 month rule may be wrong about Jamaica, but that site says different about Mexico http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/country/mexico.html

At this point I'm without a passport card for him unless it comes in the next 2 weeks. I need to know if I can get him on the ship and not get turned away at the port. Can anyone verify for me from experience?

Edited by CruiseCouple02

You are simply renewing your child's passport. If you sent it in 6 weeks ago, it should be arriving any day now. It doesn't usually even take a month, usually when I renew our passports we get them back in 2 or 3 weeks.

I have faith that your passports will be coming in the mail any day now.

Otherwise, do you live anywhere near Boston? There is an expediting office in downtown Boston that I have had the pleasure of experiencing. It really is same day service but you do pay a premium and it is a hassle. If you plan to do this, go online and get an appointment and have all your documents.

OP

No one needs a passport for a closed loop cruise, which you will be on. EVERYONE who is a U.S. citizen can sail on a BIRTH CERTIFICATE and (if over the age of 16) a photo i.d.

You will be fine for your child if you show up with JUST HIS BIRTH CERTIFICATE!!

You are not staying in any country .... for every port you visit you are IN TRANSIT and do not have to have a passport, nor do you need to worry about expiration dates on any passport.

Stop stressing, unless you don't have access to the birth certificate. You will need to go to the county or state vital records and request a copy.

Edited by Sauer-kraut

I would call NCL they should be able to give you good information. Last year we were on DCL with him and only had a birth certificate and we were fine although a different itinerary St Maarten and St Thomas. The only time it was checked was embarkation and Dis-embarkation in Port Canaveral. By the way we will be on the same cruise with our now 2 year old. See you on Epic in 2 weeks!

I would call NCL they should be able to give you good information. Last year we were on DCL with him and only had a birth certificate and we were fine although a different itinerary St Maarten and St Thomas. The only time it was checked was embarkation and Dis-embarkation in Port Canaveral. By the way we will be on the same cruise with our now 2 year old. See you on Epic in 2 weeks!

Never call NCL. Their customer service reps don't know day from night.

Instead rely on the their website, which confirms what everyone has told the OP:

http://www.ncl.com/faq#documentation

What about Documentation, Visas and Passports?

All guests must provide key personal information in advance of sailing. Click here for detailed travel documentation information before you complete your Online Check-In form.

Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda, Alaska, Mexican Riviera, Or Canada & New England Cruises

State certified U.S. birth certificate

Original certificate of U.S. naturalization

Original certificate of U.S. citizenship

U.S. Consular report of your birth abroad.

Baptismal paper, hospital certificates of birth and Puerto Rico birth certificates issued prior to 7/1/10 are not acceptable.

I understand now that the info about the 6 month rule may be wrong about Jamaica, but that site says different about Mexico http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/country/mexico.html

At this point I'm without a passport card for him unless it comes in the next 2 weeks. I need to know if I can get him on the ship and not get turned away at the port. Can anyone verify for me from experience?

You haven't read far enough down on the page, where the exception for closed loop cruises is mentioned, although not explained in detail:

All U.S. citizens traveling outside of the United States by land or sea (except closed-loop cruises) are required to present a Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) compliant document such as a passport or a passport card to return to the United States.

Please read the information I've provided in post #17, immediately above, from NCL's website that gives the detailed requirements.

As I explained earlier, none of the Western Hemisphere countries that permit closed loop cruisers to enter without a passport can require those that do have a passport to have 6 months remaining validity. It would be nonsensical and illogical to do so. Think about it...you don't need a passport...but if you do it has to have 6 month's validity?

Edited by njhorseman

I am curious about how much a passport card costs for someone and how long is it valid?

Here's a table giving passport and passport card fees:

http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/passports/FeeChart/Passport%20Fees%20Chart%202014_TSG.pdf

Passports or passport cards issued for adults age 16 and older are valid for 10 years. Under age 16 they're good for 5 years.