How can you plan without knowing youth program times in advance?

cpapa84

Sorry.. probably a dumb question, but how can I plan for steakhouse dinners, excursions, etc if I don't know the hours of the youth program in advance? Obviously the things I book will be very different depending on whether or not my 2 yr old is with me..?

this is where you gotta play it by ear.

Camp opens at 7.

But they feed your child at the lido deck at 5:45

but like the poster above stated-- suppose if your child does not like being left. so what happens to your plans?

Excursions- the camp opens early on port days. (but like stated-- what happens if your child does not like the camp?)

You will have a better, relaxed time if you do your planning around your child and their schedule

Edited by serene56

It would be a very unusual 2year old who would be thrilled/happy to be left in a completely new environment on board the ship! I'd make planes assuming the 2 year old would be with me and then IF the child settles in well to being left in child care you could change the plans.

Just because the child is in day care at home does not mean they will be happy in day car on the ship.If you want to be completely sure you can go off to the steak house or on excursions then I'd bring along a nanny or grandma.

Edited by riffatsea

A little googling would get you the answer:

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Camp_Carnival_Program.aspx

I did google. And I read, too. The link that you provided does not give specific enough times to allow for me to make plans. There are a lot of statements about times varying from day to day or ship to ship.

Thank you to the others who helped.

I have to agree with the others who have said that you will probably have to wait and see. There are some excursions that are family friendly so you could schedule those. In the evening the hours were usually 7pm- 9:45 for the free hours. The steakhouse meals are very leisurely. I had to skip dessert to go pick up my kids while the rest of my party finished up. If you are willing to pay for the night owls it would allow you plenty of time for the steakhouse ( assuming that your child will stay there). Hope it all works out!

It would be a very unusual 2year old who would be thrilled/happy to be left in a completely new environment on board the ship! I'd make planes assuming the 2 year old would be with me and then IF the child settles in well to being left in child care you could change the plans.

Just because the child is in day care at home does not mean they will be happy in day car on the ship.If you want to be completely sure you can go off to the steak house or on excursions then I'd bring along a nanny or grandma.

Our grand daughter did NOT fare well with the camp. (even at 4 and she has been in day care since 10 weeks of age.

With the camp-- you are NOT able to go in and stay with the child. You have to drop them at the gate-- and pick them up at the gate. Yes even with this age group. There is a closed circuit tv that you can see the kids playing that is located outside the camps

on sea days camps open at 10 and close at 12:45 open at 2 and close again for dinner at 5 - there is a dinner with camp kids at 5:45 (please be prompt- meeting at the lido deck.

and they take them back to camp at 6:45

camp opens again at 7 and becomes fee based at 10pm. ( do not be late picking up before 10pm

\

your child needs to be 2 by the date of sailing in order to participate in the camp activities.

Birthdate will be confirmed when you check in using the birth certificate

Not to start a flame war; but, why not take your 2yo to the steakhouse? We have done it plenty of times. We talked with the Matrie'd and asked for a table near an exit so we could bolt if she acted up. Not a peep (except for being thrilled when they brought out another head of broccoli for her to devour). To date, the steakhouse has never charged for one of the kids - I wonder at what age they do?

As everyone else said, you will need to be adaptable when travelling with a 2yo as there will never be a truly fixed schedule (unless your kid is like that!). We've canceled excursions before because the kid was acting up or feeling under the weather. Look, I *LOVE* travelling with and vacationing with my girls; but, it is a completely different experience that just having a vacation with the wife.

Something else you may want to consider - has your child dealt with a time zone change before while travelling? That could also greatly impact how well camp will or will not work out and how meal times may need to be handled.

Not a dumb question.

What worked for me when cruising with my 3 year old was to play it by ear on board and see what she was interested in. We spent a lot of time together as a family, but she did go for a hour or two when it match up,

You could set it and change the reservation later or just wait to see how the first few days go.

I don't know about excursions. I never considered that one. Port of call section has lots of good info on things to do with kids if you haven't explored those boards check them out too.

Our son first went to Camp Carnival when he was two .( At that age they will give you a phone/walkie talkie so they can contact you if there any issues.)

Our son is 10 now, and he is already booked on his 11th cruise! He loves to cruise and loves Camp Carnival!

try searching your favorite social media site for .. cruising carnival with kids... and you might find a page with lots more info...

LPC

I'm in the same boat with our 10 yr old. Not a dumb question at all. I've researched many Fun Times but knowing from previous sailings I remembered about their dinner times for the camp. I went ahead and made two reservations for the steakhouse. Before the have never worked out, hopefully this time they will

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree with others that plans can't really be "set in stone" with a little one in tow, but I do not agree with waiting to book steakhouse on board. I tried on day 3 or 4 of a 7 day and it was booked solid for the rest of the Cruise.

Consider making a reservation with her included. If it works out, she'll go to camp, if not, you can take her and not miss it entirely.

My kids did not like Camp Carnival when they were little. It was quite the adjustment in cruise plans for me. Now that they're older, I can barely pry them away long enough to eat. :)