STAR Entertainment: What's good and not?

dongordon

We were on the Star B2B in Sept and Oct.

We were told that most of the singers and dancers were ending their contract and leaving the ship at the end of our second cruise.

Here is the portion of my cc review on entertainment on the Star:

ENTERTAINMENT

The Star had excellent entertainment. We went to most of the shows and enjoyed them all. The weakest show was the hypnotist. TerranceB was the hypnotist. His show was ok, but I guess that is the nature of the show. I was not hypnotized.

The NCL Star Production singers and dancers with show band were excellent. All their shows were super. We enjoyed the welcome aboard show, “Band on the Run,” The Look of Love-music of Burt Bacharach, and “Paradis.” The singing and dancing was excellent. We thought it was a little better than what we get on Celebrity.

Other entertainers that we enjoyed were “The Diva,” Beverly Davison; “Marrambolla” with acrobatic duo Maria and Dimitry; “Duo Platschkov,” from Moscow doing acrobatics and juggling; Duo Yalba were a multitalented pair that could play twenty different instruments; Barry John, a juggling comedian; 4Ever, great male foursome and comedian Tim Kaminski. We missed the Motown show with William Hicks, but heard it was excellent. Entertainment on the Star deserved a 5 of 5.

The singing group 4Ever was excellent. They were four young men sang many songs in Spanish, but also, Italian and English. Tim Kaminski was a comedian that tended to pull a lot of people out of the audience up on the stage, and then have a dialogue with each of them about their role on the state. Once you got past the first 10 minutes, his show was funny.

We also enjoyed the music in some of the bars from time to time.

We were on the Star B2B in Sept and Oct.

We were told that most of the singers and dancers were ending their contract and leaving the ship at the end of our second cruise.

Here is the portion of my cc review on entertainment on the Star:

ENTERTAINMENT

The Star had excellent entertainment. We went to most of the shows and enjoyed them all. The weakest show was the hypnotist. TerranceB was the hypnotist. His show was ok, but I guess that is the nature of the show. I was not hypnotized.

The NCL Star Production singers and dancers with show band were excellent. All their shows were super. We enjoyed the welcome aboard show, “Band on the Run,” The Look of Love-music of Burt Bacharach, and “Paradis.” The singing and dancing was excellent. We thought it was a little better than what we get on Celebrity.

Other entertainers that we enjoyed were “The Diva,” Beverly Davison; “Marrambolla” with acrobatic duo Maria and Dimitry; “Duo Platschkov,” from Moscow doing acrobatics and juggling; Duo Yalba were a multitalented pair that could play twenty different instruments; Barry John, a juggling comedian; 4Ever, great male foursome and comedian Tim Kaminski. We missed the Motown show with William Hicks, but heard it was excellent. Entertainment on the Star deserved a 5 of 5.

The singing group 4Ever was excellent. They were four young men sang many songs in Spanish, but also, Italian and English. Tim Kaminski was a comedian that tended to pull a lot of people out of the audience up on the stage, and then have a dialogue with each of them about their role on the state. Once you got past the first 10 minutes, his show was funny.

We also enjoyed the music in some of the bars from time to time.

Too bad we've seen the Look of Love on the Sun last year and Band on the Run on the Jewel several years ago. I like the production shows, but not sure if I will want to see the same shows that I have already seen.

We also say Terrance B last year on the Sun. My husband totally bought into it and purchased the flash drive. It really works for him, but not so much for me...lol. I think it just depends on your state of mind and how susceptible you are to hypnosis.

I hope we have the acrobats as I have not seen them before. We also like the different comedians that NCL has and they are usually pretty good.

I am looking forward to seeing what we get on our PC cruise in January.

I'm getting excited to watch all the shows and see all the entertainers!! Stan Sykes would be in one of the bars at night somewhere - he is solo. He's been on maybe half of the cruises I have been on but it has been a few years since my last one - so he may have moved on.

Emi

Came back from the Star Panama cruise last week. The main theatre entertainment on the Star got better and better as the cruise went on. The acrobatic duo Maria and Dimitry had their own show and also did a couple of spots on the finale show. Their performances were excellent and very much in the style of the Cirque du Soleil that we have seen in London. They have also got their youngster involved in the shows now doing some family humour to break things up a bit.

We also had the "Oh What a Night" Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons tribute group who packed out their show, including some standing at the back and entrances - absolutely superb, got a well deserved standing ovation at the end and they did a reprise at the end as well. George Solomon led the group and he did a special one-man morning show on our last sea day into LA. That show was also very good with George doing a wide variety of songs sprinkled with funnny comedy bits in between and was packed out as well. I can't remember being on an NCL ship and seeing a full house on a morning show before.

Iain Bagshaw was the Cruise Director for that trip. He was very good, very confident and always happy to talk around the ship, but it might have been his typically British sense of humour that we enjoyed as much as anything else. His "Joke of the Day" feature at the end of each show was always funny, albeit often eleciting a humourous groan from the appreciate audience.

The day we went through the canal we had a very good commentary piped into the TV and out and about on the decks from a local guide. Again, well done and very informative.

Edited by old nutter
spelling