No cruise -Miami hotel recommendation with a car

heatherbelle

I am looking for a good hotel with cheap or free parking close to the action of Miami for 2 nights. We will be arriving on a late flight from the UK.

I did originally look at the airport hotels, but feel it would be nicer to be closer to everything. There are three of us my DS will be 16 and we will be there in late July before heading to WDW.

Other than the port I am not familiar with the area at all, as in the past only cruised out of the port straight from flying into MIA.

Also any tips on the best things to see or do in Miami gratefully received. Sadly no cruise this time.

The action is in Miami Beach, especially South Beach - and some of the "action" might not be appropriate for a 16 year old! :eek:

If you are looking for great dining, nightlife, shopping, galleries, etc. then Miami Beach is where you want to be - and you do not want a car. Traffic is bad and parking is expensive - most of the hotels charge their guests $25-30+ per day for parking. :(

If you stay in SB you should be walking distance to everything; if you stay farther north there is a good public bus system to get you from your hotel to/from SB.

To get from the MIA airport to your SB hotel a taxi will cost about $32+tip or you can ride the airport flyer bus from MIA for $2.35 each and then it will be a short walk to your hotel.

If this helps you owe me a pint - bitter please. :cool:

The action is in Miami Beach, especially South Beach - and some of the "action" might not be appropriate for a 16 year old! :eek:

I completely disagree. Unless you are going to be out after 2am with your sixteen year old, you will not see anything in South Beach you wouldn't see in any other big city.

Unless it is a big event weekend, like Ultra or Memorial Weekend, South Beach is mainly filled with conventioneers from Cleveland.

The heart of the action has actually moved off South Beach. The wild, hedonistic days of South Beach are long gone.

What you'll find are excellent beaches, gorgeous hotels, fantastic dining, shopping, and attractions.

I've actually been having to spend a lot of time in South Beach lately. I highly recommend you stay there at one of the hotels on Collins above 12th Street. Ocean Drive can get little ghetto by day.

No free parking in Miami Beach. It is very limited and costly. You do not need a car in South Beach.

Edited by BlueHerons

Thanks for the replies.

My 16 year old is pretty world aware, he watches British TV!

Will have to look at the hotels car parking charges as we like having a car and it's booked and paid for.

Unless you are out by the airport, everywhere charges for parking because there is limited land in Miami Beach and downtown.

You can park at a city garage for something like $14 per day but that is the cheapest you are going to find.

I agree to head to South Beach. Ocean Drive is fun during the day with simple things like bikes and segways for rental, walking tours, duck tours, city hop on hop off tours etc. In the evenings, you'll see some scantily dressed people, but it's warm and expected. The wild life really happens after 11:00 and goes into early morning. Most would use the clubs to let their hair down. Altho there are a couple outdaoor bars which are fun to "people watch". Lincoln Rd. Pedestrian Mall is a nice place to stroll, shop and eat.

Research the area. Not sure the car would be what I'd want down there. Everything is so walkable. Last Feb we stayed at Hotel La Flora for 5 nights which is a small, off-Ocean Dr hotel, not a highly expensive resort with pool, restaurants etc. But rates are reasonable and the location can't be beat for walking to anything you'd want to see. There is a parking lot right out the side door that many guests use. Use tripadvisor.com to help find some nice places to stay and familiarize yourself with the area.

The airport flyer bus that John mentioned is very popular and the stop in south beach is in a good location to many smaller hotels that could work well for you. No need, as I said ,for a car there. You could then start the rental when you aready to head on to WDW.

Edited by eandj

• 3 weeks later...

If you are looking for great dining, nightlife, shopping, galleries, etc. then Miami Beach is where you want to be - and you do not want a car. Traffic is bad and parking is expensive - most of the hotels charge their guests $25-30+ per day for parking. :(

If you stay in SB you should be walking distance to everything; if you stay farther north there is a good public bus system to get you from your hotel to/from SB.

To get from the MIA airport to your SB hotel a taxi will cost about $32+tip or you can ride the airport flyer bus from MIA for $2.35 each and then it will be a short walk to your hotel.

If this helps you owe me a pint - bitter please. :cool:

You seem to know about this area. We are looking to stay on the ocean after a cruise. I am looking to spend under $300/night. We also will not have a vehicle so hotels close to things would be great. Any recommendations?