Current Mariner Complimentary Wine List

DaveFr

It is very smart and definitely the way things will be done everywhere -- soon. However, in terms of Silversea (which we have sailed on three times), I wish they would spend the money that they are putting into used ships and tablets into their ships (sorely in need of refurbishment).

In your experience, how long does it take for wine to be delivered to your table at night? Also, is the wine list as comprehensive as Regent's? When we have been on Silversea, we have not asked for specific wines -- it would be interesting to know if they have their entire collection in the MDR as well as La Terrazza. It should also be noted that Silversea's ships carry approximately 300, 400, and 450 passengers vs. Regent's 490 and 700.

I guess I'm trying to imagine 400 passengers in CR, asking for one of 30 or 40 wines and how they could be served in a reasonable amount of time. Note: While I respect your comment about restaurants, IMO, it would be easy for a very small restaurant to have a small wine cellar that has every wine available while Regent is serving La Veranda (Deck 10 or 11) and CR, Deck 5, 6, or 7 (sorry, I do not have a deck map in front of me). In addition, I suppose that passengers in P-7 and Signatures may ask for wines that are not on their menu.

Definitely not making excuses for Regent -- just looking of the logistics of what is being requested.

I am guessing from your comments that there are some benefits from sailing on a smaller ship than the larger Regent ships if the logistics prevent efficient ordering/ delivery of wine. Actually I would think that if guests had the list in advance it would make it much easier and faster to order or pre-order your wine at dinner time.

Regent did give us the list--or most of it--at a tasting on the second or third day of the cruise. But neither the Pouilly Fuisse nor the Penfold's was on the list

The Pouilly Fuisse that we had when last on Regent this October was Macon-Lugny Saint Pierre white burgundy. Is this no longer available?

I am guessing from your comments that there are some benefits from sailing on a smaller ship than the larger Regent ships if the logistics prevent efficient ordering/ delivery of wine. Actually I would think that if guests had the list in advance it would make it much easier and faster to order or pre-order your wine at dinner time.

Ah, as they say in the Wizard of Oz, your last statement is a horse of a different color:-) If guests pre-ordered their wine, it would solve everything:)

The Pouilly Fuisse that we had when last on Regent this October was Macon-Lugny Saint Pierre white burgundy. Is this no longer available?

Both the Macon-Lungy and the Pouilly Fuissé are available. They are separate French chardonnays.

Edited by DaveFr

Ah, as they say in the Wizard of Oz, your last statement is a horse of a different color:-) If guests pre-ordered their wine, it would solve everything:)

How does one pre-order a chosen wine before deciding on his/her main course? If ship with 450 passengers (Silverseas and Seabourn) can deliver different wines, I would think Regent, with 490 guests--who have a wine list--could do so also.

How does one pre-order a chosen wine before deciding on his/her main course? If ship with 450 passengers (Silverseas and Seabourn) can deliver different wines, I would think Regent, with 490 guests--who have a wine list--could do so also.
;

I have no clue how that would work -- only agreed with another poster. BTW, two of the Regent ships are 700 passengers while most SS ships are under 300 -- only one is 450.

In order to make any real comparisons of wine availability on the luxury ships, wouldn't you need to know how many included wines are on their list?

My point is not that Regent cannot deliver wines -- they certainly can. However, the dining venues have cases of the two special wines of the day on hand. If you go into a lounge, the bar's have only a handful of wines - not the entire stock of included wines. If the wine you ask for is not in the restaurant, someone has to go to the storage area to get it. I don't believe that any luxury cruise line has 50+ bottles of different included wines in their restaurants and/or bars at the same time. Actually, wouldn't they need multiple bottles of each wine in order to get through dinner service?

I suspect that the majority of passengers just order the "wine of the day" or something that was recently served to them. If the wine of the day doesn't suit you, speak to the sommelier -- they will help find the wine(s) that suit your tastes. If you have a favorite, they keep a stock of it for in (in the restaurant).

• 2 months later...
We are considering sailing regent and are wondering what the included wines are like. Could someone give examples of the red wines of the day, or ones that are included by the glass? Thanks!
See the original post in this thread, which lists all of the included wines on a recent cruise.