Dynamic Dining question

AHOY SHIPMATES,

I am old enough to remember the class structure on CUNARD that they were forced to change back in the 80-90's and have gradually RE instituted it cleverly again over the past 10 years.

The ONLY reason this works on any Cruise Line is because passengers are gullible enough to PAY extra rather than demanding better foood/n service in general.

I too am a stockholder and enjoy the profit but I'd gladly have happy customers in volume.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I checked out the website as well. Very interesting dining concept. I noticed there will not be formal nights on the ships the incorporate Dynamic Dining. Does this mean/sound like the freestyle cruising concept on NCL?

I would be interested in hearing anyone's take on why RCI is moving in this direction.

Royal would not be spending this boat load of money on dynamic dining unless they thought it would bring them more business. Royal is trying to expand he business base beyond their current crop of customers. It's safe to assume that they have done a lot of research on what these new customers want. It's not the traditional dining experience with the same table, same time, same table mates, and same wait staff every night. Nor, are they particularly attracted to the concept of two hour dinners.

AHOY SHIPMATES,

I am old enough to remember the class structure on CUNARD that they were forced to change back in the 80-90's and have gradually RE instituted it cleverly again over the past 10 years.

The ONLY reason this works on any Cruise Line is because passengers are gullible enough to PAY extra rather than demanding better foood/n service in general.

I too am a stockholder and enjoy the profit but I'd gladly have happy customers in volume.

EXCELLENT point old ancient one :) EXCELLENT. The original cruising model was simple 1st, 2nd, 3rd class. 1st class got lobster, 3rd class weevils.

Okay not quite as bad as that but definite separation of the CLASSES. And cruise lines have been trying to get back to that ever since. They are pretty much getting there fast too. And apparently a lot of people are okay with that. I guess I can get used to that, I can go 1st class I just feel a bit funny doing so being an original po-folk. But heck if it is what the masses want maybe I should shut up and just go with the flow?

Hey everyone loves " art " auctions one of the biggest rip off money makers ever put on a ship. One of a kind, oh except for the other 200 in the hold.

Hey where did the chocolates on the pillow go? Where did the grand buffet go? Where did the wine steward and the dining room bar waiter disappear to? Complimentary cappuccino at diner, now 3.95 and wait for it to get there cold since assistant waiter has to go get it now. How come I can't find a cabin steward, oh they handle twice as many cabins now I see. Complimentary pool towels, WHY, really not a big deal they should really charge a small $1 don't you think? FREE water, not on room carafe anymore bottled water there 3.95. Can't believe people expect complimentary soap. Do hey realize what a savings eliminating that would be to the line. MILLIONS.. I could go on and on but people will be upset with me :(

We weren't a fan of Dynamic Dining. It does get away from taking a cruise and having to think about where you want to eat every night. That being said, i would highly recommend you making all your reservations before you leave. If they have availablity onboard then you can change otherwise you'll at least have someplace to go to.

They will refund your money onboard but you have to prove to them you made and paid for the reservation. I had to show them the email confirming the payment on my iphone before they would issue a refund even though it was on their Royal IQ app (it wasn't showing up in their reservation system)

you will have to make a reservation in person if you don't have one, luckily you can make it for the 4 complimentary restaurants (Silk, American Icon, Chic and the formal one (can't remember the name at the moment)). So expect to wait in line with a load of other people who are either confirming or making reservations too then the space availablity is small.

RC should really consider only reserving 3/4's of their space before the cruise so people who are not able to or want to change their reservations can do so on the ship.

Quantum is a beautiful ship and is really worth sailing on. They will get these bugs worked out and it will smooth. just give it time.

AHOY SHIPMATES,

Whatever happened to going on a cruise, getting good food (all you can eat) and having a great menu with LOT'SA CHOICES and a variety of deserts all for the price you paid to book the cruise ???????

It is still there on Quantum. :) You can completely control whether or not you wish to spend any additional funds. If you are diamond or above you will even get at least three free drinks during the cocktail hours.

It is still there on Quantum. :) You can completely control whether or not you wish to spend any additional funds. If you are diamond or above you will even get at least three free drinks during the cocktail hours.

This is exactly what I used to tell friends that were considering cruising, you can decide how much to spend onboard. You can virtually spend nothing. However that is that really all that true anymore is it? The INCLUDED stuff is disappearing more and more each year.

Like tips for instance. Used to tell people you decide, they give a recommendation and honestly most people don't have problem giving at end of cruise. But that is not what it is now. Now they take it everyday and declare YOU must go take affirmative action to get to back if displeased. YOU go wait in line then fill out from why this party should't have tip and discuss it with manager etc etc.

In meantime everyone gets their divided piece of the gratuities whether they work at it or not. Then to good staff get pissed saying this one does crap job yet gets what I get. So now you wind up giving something extra or re-tipping. Also know you don't have same waiter so no rapport established, always used to be one of the highlights of the cruise that special dining experience recounting with waiter and table mates the course of your day etc.

They have forgotten what brought dedicated cruisers to cruising. They have forgotten what brought dedicated staff to ships.

George in NY

On our Allure sailing last April, we still had the traditional option and we chose early seating.

Not sure if they have implemented Dynamic Dining since then? I know for our upcoming Anthem cruise in 2015, it is the new Dynamic format. Not sure what to expect............

Allure 4/19/15 TA FLL to BCN will be the last cruise with traditional dining...will follow with two weeks of transforming ship for Dynamic Dining amongst other venues

We will be on the Allure TA late seating 4/19/15

This is exactly what I used to tell friends that were considering cruising, you can decide how much to spend onboard. You can virtually spend nothing. However that is that really all that true anymore is it? The INCLUDED stuff is disappearing more and more each year.

It's not really disappearing - one just needs to be informed (ex. toiletries are still available free but you have to ask for them), be patient (yes, there's a line to get into dinner w/ DD) and be able to say no to any extras.

Edited by Biker19