St. Thomas beach/transportation advice needed

h-sar

Hi, everyone. For the past couple of times in St. Thomas, we have taxied to Secret Harbour, and at a rate of $10 each way, it adds up to a costly $80 cab ride for our family of 4. Does anyone know if the $2 safari type busses go anywhere near Secret Harbour from Havensight (which is where I assume the Regal Princess will be docking)? We wouldn't mind a 10-15 min walk to the beach if there is a bus stop in the vicinity. I've checked all the threads and think I might be out of luck.

Also, for those of you who've been to both Secret H and Sapphire (which I understand IS accessible by Safari bus), how do you find the two compare? We like the beauty, quiet, seclusion, and restaurant at Secret H.

Also, if we were to end up taking a public bus from the pier to Sapphire, could we easily do a stop at the main shopping district downtown?

Finally, how much are the tour busses if you get them on the spot, without pre-booking? Just trying to explore all my options. Basically, we just want one beach stop for 2-3 hrs and a couple of hrs exploring the shopping area. We've already done the full island tour, so don't need to do that. What is the most economical for us? We have older teens and will be there on Christmas Eve day.

Trying to explore all my options. Thanks!

I don't believe the $2 bus makes the drive down into SH but I could be wrong. You can get a quick answer to that question on the st Thomas forum on tripadvisor.

From a condo rental perspective, we think Sapphire is the #1 beach to stay on and SH is #2, for a beach day we still prefer Sapphire although both are nice. Sapphire doesn't have a restaurant like SH, but does have a beach grill and a restaurant up the hill.

The $2 bus will drop you at the entrance to Sapphire and it's a 5 - 10 minute downhill walk to the beach (uphill for the return of course but not that difficult a walk). If the bus schedule leaves you hanging in the heat you can always grab a taxi.

So I'd suggest you give Sapphire a try this visit, you will then have experienced both, and you'll have a favorite to return to next visit (whether by cruise or land vacation).

You can hook up with a taxi driver at an hourly rate but not the most economical option. A very nice gentleman provides private tours/driver service but it's $35pp for your time in port. He would drop you at Sapphire then take you to town and any other spot you desire. He (Stanley) actually works at the Secret Harbour Resort, if interested I posted his contact info in a couple other threads on tour guides.

The safari route does not go by Secret Harbour. If you must take the safari, plan on going to Sapphire.

BTW, I told Stanley that he was becoming famous on the internet. :) He asked that people who want pick-up and tours call him directly on his cell, which blue provided: 340-690-4544.

Thank you both for your advice! I don't know that I want to pay $20 a person just for a taxi drop/pick up when I could combine the beach stop with a couple more stops for $35. I might have to give Stanley a call :).

Of the two beaches, which one is the prettier, more tranquil setting, in your estimation? And has less visitors?

Thank you!

Sapphire is along swath of sand. It will be less crowded.

I am trying to decide which beach our family will go to in January. I have read good things about Sapphire, Magen's bay and Coki. I would rather take the bus for our family of 5 if possible. Would you say Sapphire would be the prettiest. How is the snorkeling at Sapphire?

The safari route does not go by Secret Harbour. If you must take the safari, plan on going to Sapphire.

BTW, I told Stanley that he was becoming famous on the internet. :) He asked that people who want pick-up and tours call him directly on his cell, which blue provided: 340-690-4544.

I don't know why we didn't recommend him more often over the years, he certainly deserves it. And it's a great option for folks wanting something other than the typical cookie cutter group tour.

Thank you both for your advice! I don't know that I want to pay $20 a person just for a taxi drop/pick up when I could combine the beach stop with a couple more stops for $35. I might have to give Stanley a call :).

Of the two beaches, which one is the prettier, more tranquil setting, in your estimation? And has less visitors?

Thank you!

We enjoy the beautiful water and island views at Sapphire. As O2B mentioned it's also a bit easier to spread out and there is also natural shade along one section of the water.