Size of dance floors

emma99

As a keen ballroom dancer, I become very frustrated with the small dance floors at sea. And many comments on a floor being large is usually small by a experienced dancer's standards. Spending hours searching forums for this info is also frustrating. Right that said, size is everything !!

Cunard had 1000sq foot on both Victoria & Elizabeth , & about 1026 sq feet on Mary. Would love to get sizes for other ships. I makes planning for future cruises' a better experience.

mainstream/massmarket ships don't have that large of dance floors...they are ample for the dancing done, tho. Do NOT expect a "ballroom" atmosphere! You will not find it on the mainstream ships.

Learn to dance "tightly"!

Edited by cb at sea

Hi Salve

I have heard the same, about Costa but I understand some Costa ships have very small floors. We need to know which ones have which, & size. That would be great knowledge to have. I know so many people book cruises based on the size to floor they expect, but are often disappointed when they find it is smaller. I might sound pedantic. But honestly many serious dancers make this number 1 when booking. I have cruised lots, but so many new ships entering service, we need more details from dancers

Hi Kitty

I recently viewed an exchange of info from a senior VP from Princess regarding Royal Princess, a fairly new ship. (as an example)The VP, said Plenty of room to dance, until the reviews came in showing that the floor was not only very small but dangerous, because of protruding metal decorations in the floor itself. Unfortunately cruise lines are just not honest when asked these questions. Its up to us. I have also booked a cruse based of their info to find it wrong. Let face it we all spend a lot of money on cruising. Its good to have honest info before we book our cruise.

Hi Salve

I have heard the same, about Costa but I understand some Costa ships have very small floors. We need to know which ones have which, & size. That would be great knowledge to have. I know so many people book cruises based on the size to floor they expect, but are often disappointed when they find it is smaller. I might sound pedantic. But honestly many serious dancers make this number 1 when booking. I have cruised lots, but so many new ships entering service, we need more details from dancers

Sorry I can't give you an estimate of size. The "Grand Bar" on most of the Costa ships I have been on have large size dance floors. Other areas have the smaller dance floors, such as the "Atrium Bar" and the aft bars.

The Costa ships have dancing until about 1:30am which is nice.

I now carry a tape measure with me, for this reason. I have posted the floors I have measured on Theme Cruises thread, Best Ships For Dancing. Just deciding whether size means total area or usable LOD is problematic.

Costa neoRomantica (recently re-built) was disappointingly small, but most new Costa ships have floors which are comparable in size to Cunard and Crystal, greatly exceeding most ships. Several other ships I have been on actually have decent floors, but the CD treated dancing with total disdain, never scheduling adequate music (although, of course, they can only work with the musicians they're given).

One of the reasons I'm so disgusted with cruise line marketing is the false information that's given out about dancing.

One of the reasons I'm so disgusted with cruise line marketing is the false information that's given out about dancing.

I think the vast majority of cruisers do not ballroom dance, so they're happy with a little dance floor to shuffle around a bit. So when cruiselines talk about a dance floor, they probably mean one that is acceptable to those who do the electric slide :)

Hi Bob

Good to se you on this thread. I had a look at your other thread with references to floor size .I think I will put together a excel page with ships listed & info. Its a pity a pity with such growing popularity, that cruise lines don't take this issue more seriously.

• 2 weeks later...

I've posted an evaluation of Ruby Princess in Best Ships For Dancing. In summary, they had the resources available, but management just didn't care. Which was the problem on NCL Epic- they actually covered what should have been a good floor with tables. And the group in the Atrium with terrible tempos, the excuse was "they're playing recorded music, they can't change". Huh? This is supposed to be a live group? NCL management just didn't care, either.