Port days and schedules

jageaw

My husband and I will be taking our first cruise on Jan 25, 2015. We will be sailing on the Valor, and we were wondering about how we plan our port days. We aren't planning to do many organized excursions (maybe 1 or 2), will generally go into the town and walk around and likely head to a beach somewhere to relax, swim or snorkel (if available). My question is can we disembark at our leisure and come and go as we please?

Also, would love some "must see" or "must do" recommendations for the South Caribbean itinerary including San Juan.

Thanks.

Once the ship docks and customs are cleared they will begin disembarking. From the time they start this and the time they leave you can come and go as you please. As for must see's and do's can you list the ports you will be at? I have not been to San Juan yet, but if you list the others I may be able to give my experiences.

In San Juan, I recommend taking a taxi to El Morro then walk back to the ship. You can walk there too but it's UPHILL. There is a CVS near the port for anything you forgot to bring and your US based cell phone will work with no additional fees incurred.

Here's a link to a walking guide:

http://www.everytrail.com/guide/old-san-juan-puerto-rico/map

There is another fort closer to the port but El Morro is much more impressive.

On our last two cruises to St Thomas we went on a catamaran snorkling off St John. And the other was a trip to St. John and Trunk Bay. A beautiful beach and snorkling trail thats just off shore.These two are excursions. On St Thomas you can go shopping right at the Havensight port or go downtown. For the afternoon you can take a cab to any of the beaches. As the day draws to a close, we stop at one of the bars at Havensight to have a bushwacker or two.

Once the ship docks and customs are cleared they will begin disembarking. From the time they start this and the time they leave you can come and go as you please. As for must see's and do's can you list the ports you will be at? I have not been to San Juan yet, but if you list the others I may be able to give my experiences.

Thanks for this.

On our last two cruises to St Thomas we went on a catamaran snorkling off St John. And the other was a trip to St. John and Trunk Bay. A beautiful beach and snorkling trail thats just off shore.These two are excursions. On St Thomas you can go shopping right at the Havensight port or go downtown. For the afternoon you can take a cab to any of the beaches. As the day draws to a close, we stop at one of the bars at Havensight to have a bushwacker or two.

Sounds like and interesting itinerary. Thanks.

St Lucia is probably a place to plan an excursion, we tried to just walk around but it was awful with vendors harassing us. Also the town was abysmal, like a shanty town. There's lots to do there but I would feel safer with a guide.

In San Juan, I recommend taking a taxi to El Morro then walk back to the ship. You can walk there too but it's UPHILL. There is a CVS near the port for anything you forgot to bring and your US based cell phone will work with no additional fees incurred.

Here's a link to a walking guide:

http://www.everytrail.com/guide/old-san-juan-puerto-rico/map

There is another fort closer to the port but El Morro is much more impressive.

Thanks for the link!!

Any walking tours for St. Maarten, St. Kitts and Grand Turk?

My husband and I will be taking our first cruise on Jan 25, 2015. We will be sailing on the Valor, and we were wondering about how we plan our port days. We aren't planning to do many organized excursions (maybe 1 or 2), will generally go into the town and walk around and likely head to a beach somewhere to relax, swim or snorkel (if available). My question is can we disembark at our leisure and come and go as we please?

Also, would love some "must see" or "must do" recommendations for the South Caribbean itinerary including San Juan.

Thanks.

I am sure you will have fun, but I just want to make the point that while you can as you say "disembark at our leisure and come and go as we please", at most ports especially if you have something specific planned you just wont have time. Most of the time I would suggest to think of it as a day excursion. Leave the ship with everything you think you will need (bring water), go out, have fun and come back exhausted or not (as you choose).

Some stops do not dock, you may have to tender. In this situation you do not want to forget anything on the ship. It's just not worth going back if you forgot something small.

Some stops have a large security area. After leaving the ship you may have a bit of a hike before you are actually in town. If you are young and energetic you should have no problems coming and going. If you are like me and getting a little slower you might think twice about going out again after returning to the ship. ( sometimes if there is somewhere nearby that offers free wi/fi. typically a bar or coffee shop, I may return to the ship to get my tablet and go out again for a short time, but not often anymore.)

***very important***do not miss the ship***

As far as what to do at the stops...go to the ports of call section of this site. The time you spend researching will be well worth it.

Have a great cruise

I am sure you will have fun, but I just want to make the point that while you can as you say "disembark at our leisure and come and go as we please", at most ports especially if you have something specific planned you just wont have time. Most of the time I would suggest to think of it as a day excursion. Leave the ship with everything you think you will need (bring water), go out, have fun and come back exhausted or not (as you choose).

Some stops do not dock, you may have to tender. In this situation you do not want to forget anything on the ship. It's just not worth going back if you forgot something small.

Some stops have a large security area. After leaving the ship you may have a bit of a hike before you are actually in town. If you are young and energetic you should have no problems coming and going. If you are like me and getting a little slower you might think twice about going out again after returning to the ship. ( sometimes if there is somewhere nearby that offers free wi/fi. typically a bar or coffee shop, I may return to the ship to get my tablet and go out again for a short time, but not often anymore.)

***very important***do not miss the ship***

As far as what to do at the stops...go to the ports of call section of this site. The time you spend researching will be well worth it.

Have a great cruise

Thanks great advice!