Boston public transit and strollers

Rysyonok

Does anyone have any experience with taking a stroller on Boston's MBTA buses or trains, or even on a taxi for that matter? We are taking two toddlers with us on a cruise, and that means two umbrella strollers.

This worked fine for us in Bermuda last year, both on the buses and ferries, but I am concerned about Boston: it is a much busier metropolis, and we are going to be there on a Thursday.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi: I am a Bostonian. Be advised that Boston's subway system, known as the "T," is one of the oldest in the country (the oldest?). As such, it's not always user-friendly. Many of the stations are not easy to navigate with a stroller. Some involve lots of steps. Yes, there's an elevator alternative, but we find the elevators are sometimes out-of-order, small, or inconveniently located. Depending on where you are going, you may have to change lines once or twice. That's a pain with a stroller. Boston's system is nothing like, say, Washington, DC's, which is more modern and easy to navigate. Again, it's the old-fashioned design. It's not that you can't ride the T with a stroller, but it can be challenging. Just a heads up!

Edited by alj1208

We haven't done Boston, but did NY this summer with our 3 yr old. That is also an old system with a lot of steps. You have to weigh the use of the stroller outside the subway/T. We were walking a lot on either side of the subway so not using the stroller would have been too hard. But, if you're going to take the T and use the strollers I'd recommend having shoulder straps for them. We used a Maclaren Volo and it has a strap built in but if yours don't you can get ones that go on any stroller. When we were in some of the stations with a lot of steps it was just easier to have her walk or carry her and have the stroller over our shoulders than try to open and close it all of the time.

Good luck and have fun!

Edited by travelhound

Another Bostonian here, and I beg to differ. The MBTA has made huge strides in recent years in improving accessibility. Almost all the stations have elevators, and they're kept in good repair. From the cruise terminal, you will take the Silver Line into downtown - and despite the name, it's a bus with a dedicated street and tunnels, and it was all built in the last decade. I've done twins in a double stroller without problems.

Edited by teaperson
Clarifying