No news on QE2

balf

A retrospective of the events since her final sailing can be found here:

The Queen's Six Years in Dubai.

There was a time when developers had plans to bring her to Liverpool or to London, but who knows if they were not unlike the present owners. It's one thing to have a big and bold idea but another thing to be able to finance it.

Oh darn, I couldn't read that story because it said "subscription required". I don't know if the following is a duplicate of the same piece, but there are some interesting photos here (although the photo of workmen roasting a pig over an oil drum on the deck is rather gruesome): http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2854836/Rotting-obscurity-workers-spitroasting-PIGS-deck-majesterial-QE2-suffers-languishes-Dubai-plan-turn-400-room-hotel.html

Edited by Salacia

When the story was first on the Daily Mail website, it was illustrated with a photograph of the original Queen Elizabeth!!

The DM story is the same as the Sunday Times one.

The bottom line is that the QE2 was bought and now belongs to the present owners and they can do (or not do) what they like with it.

no chance of "re-commissioning" it at all?

Unless money is no object, the answer is NO. SOLAS killed her and she does not have enough balcony cabins.

That being said, I would suggest finding someone to do a "Queen Mary Long Beach" with her, but obviously at another, popular port. Sadly, her cruising days are over.

It's a shame Mr. Palmer did not buy and refurbish QE2 instead of throwing millions (billions?) into a ship that may never be built.

It's not feasible to do that in a 40+year old hull and a 1980s propulsion plant. Most of the superstructure would have to be torn out to make QE2 SOLAS compliant. If somebody did put that amount of money into her we would no doubt be reading how that refit "ruined" her charm and elegance.

It's not feasible to do that in a 40+year old hull and a 1980s propulsion plant. Most of the superstructure would have to be torn out to make QE2 SOLAS compliant. If somebody did put that amount of money into her we would no doubt be reading how that refit "ruined" her charm and elegance.

How true. It really would never be the same. I loved my MGB but wouldn't imagine it to be in too good of condition these days. If it still exists, it would take far more than its original price to make it right then it would still drive like an old car.:D

You know there are hundreds, if not thousands, of people around the world to whom $100 million is pocket change. Any one of them could achieve a special kind of immortality by buying QE2 and just giving it to Southampton. To bad that's not the kind of immortality that the super rich seem to care about.

It's a shame Mr. Palmer did not buy and refurbish QE2 instead of throwing millions (billions?) into a ship that may never be built.

Couldn't agree more!!

I actually tweeted him saying he should have purchased the ship!!! Lol

What is $100 mill to a country or even a city for that matter? Surely london or Southampton can purchase her back? I'm surprised the Queen herself hasn't purchased the ship and just donated it to London....

Edited by melb1988

You know there are hundreds, if not thousands, of people around the world to whom $100 million is pocket change. Any one of them could achieve a special kind of immortality by buying QE2 and just giving it to Southampton. To bad that's not the kind of immortality that the super rich seem to care about.

Sadly, Southampton would not prove a profitable spot for QE2. Maybe London, or, as originally planned for the first QE, south Florida (port Everglades / Fort Lauderdale). The ship has a lot to offer still, just not with cruising.

No one, despite their billions of wealth will just buy the ship and give it to anyone.

I still say that the Queen Mary idea is a good one, but warmer climes make more sense as with Queen Mary.

The ship as she exists has two, large restaurants that would make for great catering halls, plus 3 grill rooms that would make for fine restaurants.

Sure, some modifications would need to be made, but you do not need to gut the ship as has been previously planned.

Wishful thinking!

No one, despite their billions of wealth will just buy the ship and give it to anyone. ...

I would! All you have to do is give me the money and watch, if you're too diffident to do it yourself.

Very unfortunate that such a legendary liner should have such an ignominious end.

I sailed in this great ship for hundreds of days, including her last true world cruise in 2007. While I have continued to sail with Queen Mary 2 and other ships, nothing comes close to the spirit and soul of QE2.

In retrospect, I think I would have preferred to see her go straight to the breakers after her retirement from the Cunard fleet, however sad that would have been.

Very unfortunate that such a legendary liner should have such an ignominious end.

I sailed in this great ship for hundreds of days, including her last true world cruise in 2007. While I have continued to sail with Queen Mary 2 and other ships, nothing comes close to the spirit and soul of QE2.

In retrospect, I think I would have preferred to see her go straight to the breakers after her retirement from the Cunard fleet, however sad that would have been.

About 'the breakers'...there has to be a better way. http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2014/05/shipbreakers/gwin-text

Edited by Salacia

The current owners are contractually obliged not to sell the QE2 for 10 years (without a 100% payment penalty) which expires in 2019. Despite the reported $10M/year upkeep costs to keep her seaworthy, although not as a passenger ship, they may just be content to sit on their assett as she gains in value.

I would not be at all surprised if the owners are behind these regular press stories (and the latest photos of workers "roasting pigs" - a terrible thing to do in a ultra-conservative Muslim country - on the deck where so many famous people had walked etc.) just to milk the nostalgia and maximise interest in her eventual sale.

I would also not be surprised if the owners are waiting/lobbying for some future 'historic ships' exemption to the full SOLAS regulations under specific conditions they could exploit.

I am sure there is a lot we don't know and probably never will.

The current owners are contractually obliged not to sell the QE2 for 10 years (without a 100% payment penalty) which expires in 2019. Despite the reported $10M/year upkeep costs to keep her seaworthy, although not as a passenger ship, they may just be content to sit on their assett as she gains in value.

I would not be at all surprised if the owners are behind these regular press stories (and the latest photos of workers "roasting pigs" - a terrible thing to do in a ultra-conservative Muslim country - on the deck where so many famous people had walked etc.) just to milk the nostalgia and maximise interest in her eventual sale.

I would also not be surprised if the owners are waiting/lobbying for some future 'historic ships' exemption to the full SOLAS regulations under specific conditions they could exploit.

I am sure there is a lot we don't know and probably never will.

Yes it's probably as you say, pay 64 mil for a ship then pay every year to stop it rusting away, wait for the value to go up then make a killing by selling it to some thick millionaire.

And you are probably correct about the relaxation of SOLAS regs. I think that's very likely now that Concordia is forgotten.

The longer the ship sits in Dubai the more she worth. All in all a no brainier.

David.

Yes it's probably as you say, pay 64 mil for a ship then pay every year to stop it rusting away, wait for the value to go up then make a killing by selling it to some thick millionaire.

And you are probably correct about the relaxation of SOLAS regs. I think that's very likely now that Concordia is forgotten.

David.

The longer a ship sits anywhere the less she will be worth. Even QE2 will not appreciate by sitting around or even if she was in service.

QE2 is not an appreciating asset, especially when you factor in the $10 million a year being spent on her.

Also forget SOLAS ever being relaxed for her.

Sorry, David, and with all due respect, your assertion is not a no-brainer, it is a mind blower! :D

The longer a ship sits anywhere the less she will be worth. Even QE2 will not appreciate by sitting around or even if she was in service.

QE2 is not an appreciating asset, especially when you factor in the $10 million a year being spent on her.

Also forget SOLAS ever being relaxed for her.

Sorry, David, and with all due respect, your assertion is not a no-brainer, it is a mind blower! :D

I see you don't recognise irony in Florida then Lou.

David.

David.

Lol.:D:D

We (theQE2Story.com) managed to get Arabian Business to run a story about a week ago, after approaching them to suggest they did something for the 6th anniversary of the final voyage. This was based on a series of quotes from our members (former passengers and crew).

This piece, and the very effective photos that went along with it (sourced by Louis De Sousa) was then in turn picked up by all sorts of news outlets around the world, culminating with the Sunday Times and Daily Mail this weekend.

There isn't really any news, except that there is no news when there should have been (she was meant to leave Dubai over a year ago).

Its a moot point now, but from everything I've been told by those that were in a position to know, SOLAS wasn't a significant hurdle for QE2. She retired a few years early because of Dubai's surprise early offer, but she'd have had to finish sooner rather than later due to simply being old and worn out. She'd have needed a huge refit/refurb to carry on. The 1986-7 rebuild successfully extended her for 25 years but she'd reached the end of the line again. Again a moot point, but her hull and the main components of her propulsion system were in good shape to carry on indefinitely. It wasn't just any old "1980s propulsion system"...

What should happen to her is to be turned into a hotel in a *suitable* location. Being taken to Dubai, has given QE2 very limited options to be saved.

They were spending about $0.5m a month up until January 2013 when it changed dramatically. The generators were powered down completely, and the relatively expensive v-ships crew and management was removed. Since then the monthly cost will have been small.

Who knows what will happen next in the strange story of QE2 in Dubai... !