Allure propulsion? Should I worry?

We are sailing on Jan. 11th on Allure. After reading many threads about the propulsion issues AGAIN, should I be making a back up plan?

We are sailing the Western route and I know so far those itineraries haven't been affected but what is the chance they will decide to cancel a weeks sailings to fix the issues like they did last time?

This cruise has been the only thing getting me through the very stressful last couple years and I will be devastated if it gets cancelled.

Any thoughts?

Like you stated, it seems that the ship has issues with the seas on the eastern route......

And so far not many a issue on the western route.

You should be fine...........if anything by now they would have posted a temporary fix-er-upper till it goes to dry dock.

Safe travels.

Sea Ya

We are sailing on Jan. 11th on Allure. After reading many threads about the propulsion issues AGAIN, should I be making a back up plan?

We are sailing the Western route and I know so far those itineraries haven't been affected but what is the chance they will decide to cancel a weeks sailings to fix the issues like they did last time?

This cruise has been the only thing getting me through the very stressful last couple years and I will be devastated if it gets cancelled.

Any thoughts?

Western route is shorter and was not affected last year when there were propulsion issues.

If the issue were similar to last years azipod issue I don't think they could manage to fabricate new parts and get logistics set to cancel a cruise in the next 5 or 6 weeks.

If the issue is with power generation (some say a turbocharger is an issue) then that should be a repair that can be made during normal operation of the ship.

In short: I would not get too stressed out about it.

Western route is shorter and was not affected last year when there were propulsion issues.

If the issue were similar to last years azipod issue I don't think they could manage to fabricate new parts and get logistics set to cancel a cruise in the next 5 or 6 weeks.

If the issue is with power generation (some say a turbocharger is an issue) then that should be a repair that can be made during normal operation of the ship.

In short: I would not get too stressed out about it.

Agreed. I would not worry about it.

Ditto what LMaxwell said about Western Route being shorter.

I am just off Allure from last week and would have no issues getting right back on her even having some issues. I felt bad for the people who were unable to do their excursions in St. Thomas because of the late arrival; however, Royal was generous in giving us OBC for the inconvenience.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I'll be on Allure for the T/A in April. If it takes 14 days to make the scheduled 12 day trip, OK by me.

Snap.

So long as they have enough supplies on board and we don't bring down in the middle of nowhere I don't mind a few extras days vacation ... work will wait.

I think you should be safe, if they were going to cancel your cruise you probably would have heard by now.

We were supposed to go on the February 23rd cruise that was cancelled for repairs; I think we found out in the beginning/middle of November that we had to make other plans.

Thanks for all of the replies. I'm not going to worry about it anymore!

I did look at the Oasis leaving on the 10th but I don't think I'd be able to justify the cost to go on that one if they decided last minute to cancel my Allure cruise. I got such a good rate when I booked that even with a full refund I'd still have to fork over at least another grand. There are other small ship options but I've had my heart set on the Oasis class ship for a long time and I can't help but think I'd be bummed the whole time.

Anyway, like I said, I'm not going to worry anymore! I'll be on vacation somewhere!

I'll be on Jan 11th too!

I'm 10% worried, but I am... We chose Allure for my daughter's 15th birthday celebration, and one of the arguments was to celebrate it on the "biggest in the world"... We will be fliying to USA just for this cruise!

But let's be positive!

I think an extra care can be to avoid to schedule off shore activities non-RCCL, because it would be more difficult to cancel in case of port cancellation or delays - if booked via RCCL they will have to deal with it with no penalty for the passengers (fully return the paid value and even a compensation)...

Any thoughts?

Yes, I would worry

A few weeks ago on the Allure, it was brought up at the Captain's corner, and also at my meal with an officer. Both times it was said that the problem was going to wait until Dry Dock (after the TA).

They had told us we were going to be 1hour late getting into St. Thomas, however we were only 30mins late. They are also adding an hour of port time to St. Thomas, and still leaving Nassau at the same time.

I wouldn't be worried, as it had a minimal effect on the Vacation.

We just got off the Allure on Sunday. They said that the Allure issue will not be fixed until drydock. You don't know that that there is an issue when you are on it. We did rock more this time than we did two years ago but that could be because this was the eastern route and also a month later than the first time we went. Our sailing was great. We were a few hours late getting to St. Thomas(can't remember exact timing) but then they stayed an additional 30 minutes in Saint Martin. They also compensated everyone onboard with a credit for port fees and an OBC. I wouldn't cancel because of this issue. She goes just fine. Happy Sailing!

This was our family's first cruise. We were also on the 11/23. There was a note in our stateroom on 11/23 that advised of the "minor" speed reduction. Finally notified of St Thomas itinerary change the evening before arrival in St Thomas and There was a LONG list of excursion cancellations posted on the TV the evening prior to arrival in St Thomas (including our Dolphin encounter on Tortolla). The kids were crushed. I went to guest services when I saw the cancellations to try to find a substitute. Everything was booked.