AT&T airplane mode for taking pics

runner2013

Hi all,

I'll be sailing on the Sky in a few weeks. I have an At&t phone and am trying to find out if I set it to airplane mode, can I use it for taking pictures and the alarm clock feature ONLY without charges.?

I have NO intention of making calls or surfing the web. When I cruise I enjoy staying unplugged from reality:)

So far I've found everything from there's no charge to you may still be billed if someone calls me even if I don't answer. (which I do understand):confused:

Any info to straighten it all out is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Patty

Hi all,

I'll be sailing on the Sky in a few weeks. I have an At&t phone and am trying to find out if I set it to airplane mode, can I use it for taking pictures and the alarm clock feature ONLY without charges.?

I have NO intention of making calls or surfing the web. When I cruise I enjoy staying unplugged from reality:)

So far I've found everything from there's no charge to you may still be billed if someone calls me even if I don't answer. (which I do understand):confused:

Thanks

Patty

i was just on the pearl and have AT&T. I turned airplane mode on and turned off data and turned the phone off. At one point I wanted to take a picture, turned the phone on and while taking the picture I got a notification for a text. I did not pull the text. Called AT&T this morning and they showed no weird charges and she said I had done everything correctly so not to get any additional charges.

Turn the phone on airplane mode, and you can take pictures, use the clock, etc. with no fear of any charges. If you turn your phone OFF, it might reset to regular mode when you turn it back on. It's best to leave in airplane mode and leave it on, so it's ready to be used if needed.

i was just on the pearl and have AT&T. I turned airplane mode on and turned off data and turned the phone off. At one point I wanted to take a picture, turned the phone on and while taking the picture I got a notification for a text. I did not pull the text. Called AT&T this morning and they showed no weird charges and she said I had done everything correctly so not to get any additional charges.

When you get a text - it is right there to read it. There is no "pulling". The comment does not make any sense.

If your phone is in airplane mode, it can not and will not receive a text. It is possible that the phone came back on with cellular turned on and you got an alert text from a carrier. We always have our phones turned on and as we approach a new country, we get alerts/texts that we are now in xxx company coverage. These are FREE texts.

Even if the poster got a real text, the cost would only be $.50 (or less).

We turn data roaming off as well. But, if the phone is in airplane mode, you will not get any data anyways.

Edited by garycarla

You should not get charged for receiving normal text messages, only for sending texts. If your "text" is an iMessage or Whatsapp etc, its using data so if you receive one of those, it means your phone is connected to the internet either via your cellular connection or wi-fi.

Airplane mode only turns off the phones radio meaning there is no signal reaching or leaving the phone. If you do not want to risk any charges whatsoever, Airplane is your best bet.

When i travelled recently, I had my phone on but cellular data turned off. I could use Wi-Fi, make/receive calls (if I chose) and make/receive texts. I bought an international text package from my carrier so I could text unlimited for one rate.

basically, in Airplane mode, your phone is an ipod (minus the wi-fi). Play music, take pictures, use alarm etc, no problem because there is zero signal. Turning off Cellular data is also effective and allows people to reach you in an emergency.

Hi all,

Thanks

Patty

If you are in airplane mode, both your cellular radio and wifi radio are turned off. The phone can not talk to anything, and you will get no charges.

While in airplane mode, just like on an airplane, you can play games, take pictures, read anything that is already on your phone. No charge. None. Nobody can charge you anything, because your phone is no longer a phone and will not talk/communicate with anything. So, since it does not exist, it can not be billed.

I stand behind these comments 100%.

Edited by garycarla

When you get a text - it is right there to read it. There is no "pulling". The comment does not make any sense.

If your phone is in airplane mode, it can not and will not receive a text. It is possible that the phone came back on with cellular turned on and you got an alert text from a carrier. We always have our phones turned on and as we approach a new country, we get alerts/texts that we are now in xxx company coverage. These are FREE texts.

Even if the poster got a real text, the cost would only be $.50 (or less).

We turn data roaming off as well. But, if the phone is in airplane mode, you will not get any data anyways.

i also thought I would not get a text in airplane mode, but AT&t also confimed I received it on 11/27. I put my phone on airplane mode on 11/20 and didn't take it off until today, 12/1 when I got off the ship. I wasn't going to check (pull up) the text incase I would have been charge, since I didn't know what the charge would be. Glad it was nothing but a text from a friend asking if I was having a good time.

If you received a text you were not in airplane mode as in airplane mode, the radio in your phone is deactivated. Its literally impossible to receive a text. The only other option might have been the text came in at the moment you switched on airplane mode and the next time you turned on your phone, it appeared.

You shouldnt be charged for incoming text messages anyway (my carrier doesnt and I believe this is standard since you cant control who texts you).

If you are in airplane mode, both your cellular radio and wifi radio are turned off. The phone can not talk to anything, and you will get no charges.

Unless, of course, you turned your wi-fi on. Which you will want to do if you are using the iconcierge app.

Saying you received a text while your phone was in airplane mode is like saying you watched your soap opera with your television set turned off. It's impossible. Either you weren't in airplane mode, or perhaps you had wifi on an iPhone and an iMessage snuck through. That's different than a text, and does occasionally happen.

Saying you received a text while your phone was in airplane mode is like saying you watched your soap opera with your television set turned off. It's impossible. Either you weren't in airplane mode, or perhaps you had wifi on an iPhone and an iMessage snuck through. That's different than a text, and does occasionally happen.

I thought it couldn't happen, but it did. When I heard the knock (my notification sound), I looked at the phone a sure enough, there was the little airplane, saying it was in that mode. When I talked to AT&T, at first they thought it was a text from them. Data was turned off, so not on wifi and I know the difference between a text and I essayed. Sorry you think it can't happen, but it certainly did.

Hi all,

I've taken my AT&T iPhone on 10+ cruises and used it in airplane mode for exactly what you're describing - plus listening to music. Works as advertised and I've never received additional charges. Enjoy your cruise on the Sky! Can't wait to sail on her in March. :)

Hi!

Airplane mode has to do with your device (phone, tablet, etc) and not your carrier. Turning on airplane mode means the various radio/cell services that connects your device to the carrier (regardless of carrier) is turned off. Depending on the device, you can have your wifi and bluetooth on and still be in airplane mode. The carrier cannot access your device if it is in airplane mode.

If you are using your wifi, this has nothing to do with your cell carrier. When your device is in airplane mode AND wifi is off, all applications work that do not require internet access (like the camera, the clock, etc). When your device is in airplane mode and your wifi is on (and connected to the ships wifi or some other wifi service), you can use internet access and all the various apps that use the internet (like weather or maps programs). You can not make cell phone calls or send text using a cell service. You CAN make phone calls using a VOIP application like Facetime or Tango - these would use wifi. What kind of a device do you have? Do you use an iPhone? There are some nuances to apple's iMessage text messaging application - you can text using wifi to other people that have other Apple devices.

Hope this helps...

L

I thought it couldn't happen, but it did. When I heard the knock (my notification sound), I looked at the phone a sure enough, there was the little airplane, saying it was in that mode. When I talked to AT&T, at first they thought it was a text from them. Data was turned off, so not on wifi and I know the difference between a text and I essayed. Sorry you think it can't happen, but it certainly did.

Can you share what the text said?

Who was it from? When was it sent?

If you rec'd a text, it will still be on your phone.

Data was turned off, so not on wifi and I know the difference between a text and I essayed. Sorry you think it can't happen, but it certainly did.

Turning data off has nothing to do with wifi. Completely different functions. Your data can be off and at the same time airplane mode on and wifi could still be on. They are completely separate functions.

Can you share what the text said?

Who was it from? When was it sent?

If you rec'd a text, it will still be on your phone.

sorry... I noticed you said it was a friend asking how you were doing.

That could have been an old text that just popped up.

As to turning for to airplane mode for the entire cruise - I am thinking that turning the phone one and off could have allowed a "delayed" text to get through during a power up.

But, as said by others,incoming texts are free in some cases, very cheap in others.

AND - you can easily get a text with data turned off. Texts can come in via cell connection, or wifi if connected to the internet.

Again, it is just a text. Cost is between $00.00 and $0.50 - hardly worth an issue.