Norwegian Sun Thanksgiving mini-Review

Out to sea!

Just got back from the Sun yesterday and wanted to post a mini review. Not a huge writer so I'll just post some thoughts about the ship and such. If anyone has a question about the Sun I'd be more than happy to answer.

This was a 7 night, western Caribbean cruise out of Tampa to Roatan, Belize, Costa Maya, and Cozumel. The weather was good the first two days, then got a bit drizzly and/or chilly the rest of the cruise. Nothing to stop one from enjoying the cruise but it was the first time I wore long pants other than to the MDR on a cruise!

The Ship: I wanted to love this ship as I will be sailing her again in just over 6 months in Alaska. But alas, I just didn't love her. I liked her and know my Alaska cruise will be good, but there are just some things that I didn't care for on her, either in design or in the way things are done on board. First, I feel the design is not the greatest. the passenger areas did not have the open feeling I'm used to on board, especially in the shopping area. Another issue I have is that the area for Modernos is closed down at certain times of the day so the only way to transit from the pool area to the Great outdoors is through the buffet which is a bit tight in itself. All of the show venues had ample room for passengers. The Sun was well maintained and looked no more worn than some 3 year ships i have been on. Decor on board was very nice.

The Food: This was mostly positive to me. We ate in the MDR every night except two where we went to the Teppanyaki and Modernos. I really enjoyed the food in the MDR and everything was at a proper temp and coking style requested (for steaks). The buffet was a bit more limited than on the Epic but it is a smaller area so I expected that but was good. What irritated me the most was that free pizza was served for only 2 and a half hours a day (in Modernos). During lunch, Modernos is turned into a pizza/pasta bar. The pizza served there was fair but you could only get it during those times. I much prefer Carnival's decision to have a dedicated 24 hour pizza station.

The Service: Now this is where the Sun really shines! Most everyone I ran into smiled and provided excellent service. it seemed they were happy to be working there. Even those who did not smile still did their job up to par. The greatest experience was in the MDR. Every evening for dinner we made sure to get a table in station 20, Seven Seas dining room so we could have Immaculate Deja (NCL are you listening??) for our waitress. ALWAYS smiling, always up beat, always efficient. She was anything and everything you could ask for in a waitress. She was pretty much the highlight of our day on board. Hands down, she is the best waiter/waitress I have had in 14 cruises (and yes, I filled out a card every evening AND a Hero's card for her at the end of the cruise). The best part is she will still be there when we go back on the Sun in June for our summer Alaska trip. But all off the service was very good, from the bar staff, the pizza lady, our ninja cabin steward Kedek, to the cruise director staff. everyone made you feel welcome and appreciated. Excellent service is probably the best thing the Sun has going for her.

I really don't know anything else useful to write but if anyone has any questions at all I'd be happy to answer them for you.

Thanks for the review on the Sun, we are sailing her in May for our Alaska cruise as well... what dates are you sailing?

I digress, it was nice to see her parked right next to the Epic while in Cozumel. She looked like baby sister next to the Epic, LOL. Going back to a small ship will be welcomed for our Alaskan cruise. We did enjoy Epic and was perfect for our group, but I also love the feeling of small ships.

Thanks for the review, we sail on her in 6 days. Glad to hear the crew is still top notch. We will have to track down Immaculate and request her. Our last 2 cruises the MDR staff were very slow and not attentive at all.

Thank you for this quick and quite informative review, we appreciate it. We'll do our best to treat her well. ;)

Now, you know what happens to crew members who get too many hero cards and accolades from their beloved passengers, right? They get promoted and no one ever hears from them again b/c they're too busy in their new position :eek:

Do you really want that to happen? sheesh :rolleyes:

(I'm just kidding, no flames please, my skin is very sensitive) :p

Edited by All-ready2cruise
PS... forgot to say Thank you!!

Did they have a different menu on Thanksgiving? How were the shows? Any suggestions on the ports? What category of cabin were you in? How was the cabin?

Yes, they had a turkey dinner for Thanksgiving though i did not partake in it as that was out Modernos night.

For Roatan, we did a Victor Bodden tour which is excellent. You can search for them on the Internet. The Fun'n'Sun tour shows a lot of the island, gives you plenty of beach time, and you get to play with monkeys.

Belize, I don't care for much but several people did the "Butts Up" cavetubing tour and really enjoyed it.

In Costa Maya, we just take a taxi over to Mahahual and walk around town a bit. It's more commercialized than it used to be but still enjoyable and the taxi only costs $2 each way per person (or you can take the tram for $3 per person).

In Cozumel, we got lucky and went to the port directly in town versus the new port a couple of miles outside of town so we just walked off the ship and up and down the main street. FYI, better pricing on souvenirs in Cozumel that Costa Maya.

We were in cabin 8030 (BD I think). Loved the cabin. Only 1 cabin away from the atrium elevator. nice size cabin with a pull out couch. Flat screen TV, fridge (that was actually cold for a change), decent sized balcony (seemed a little larger than the regular Carnival balconies).

Thanks for the review on the Sun, we are sailing her in May for our Alaska cruise as well... what dates are you sailing?

I digress, it was nice to see her parked right next to the Epic while in Cozumel. She looked like baby sister next to the Epic, LOL. Going back to a small ship will be welcomed for our Alaskan cruise. We did enjoy Epic and was perfect for our group, but I also love the feeling of small ships.

We are sailing her as a northbound/southbound B2B from 22 Jun 15 to 06 Jul 15.

Yes, she is a large ship until you park next to something like the Epic. While the Epic has more choices on board (in terms of things to do and eating venues), the service, especially in the MDR, beat the Epic by a mile (as compared to my Epic cruise last Thanksgiving)!!! And in many ways, that is much more important to me.

Edited by Out to sea!

Thanks for the review, we sail on her in 6 days. Glad to hear the crew is still top notch. We will have to track down Immaculate and request her. Our last 2 cruises the MDR staff were very slow and not attentive at all.

I did ask her if she was always at the same station and was told no, she changes stations every week. If you find her, please say hello from Mr Rob and Ms Ursula. :) And DO NOT offer her a job to come work in your home until after my Alaska cruise!!! :D

Thank you for this quick and quite informative review, we appreciate it. We'll do our best to treat her well. ;)

Now, you know what happens to crew members who get too many hero cards and accolades from their beloved passengers, right? They get promoted and no one ever hears from them again b/c they're too busy in their new position :eek:

Do you really want that to happen? sheesh :rolleyes:

(I'm just kidding, no flames please, my skin is very sensitive) :p

Yes, I thought of that as I wrote out those comment cards every evening but it would be selfish of me to not praise someone for the hard work they do. I even wrote on the Hero card that she was more than ready for a promotion and if she get's it, I will be extremely happy for her.......and then I'll ask for her recommendation for a new waiter/waitress. ;)

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review. As I have been reading everything I can on the SUN. I still have 40+ days until it is my turn and these reviews just help the time pass. I will say we have been on the Sun 4 or 5 times and she is still my favorite ship. :D

Thank you

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review. As I have been reading everything I can on the SUN. I still have 40+ days until it is my turn and these reviews just help the time pass. I will say we have been on the Sun 4 or 5 times and she is still my favorite ship. :D

Thank you

If you are sailing in 40+ days you most likely will get the new menus. The Sun will be the last ship in the fleet to get them (I think they said the Sky will get them this month and then the Sun in January but they did not say what time in January). If you get the new menus, please let me know how they were since I'll be back on her in 6 months.

If you are sailing in 40+ days you most likely will get the new menus. The Sun will be the last ship in the fleet to get them (I think they said the Sky will get them this month and then the Sun in January but they did not say what time in January). If you get the new menus, please let me know how they were since I'll be back on her in 6 months.

Oh I hope the new menus are there when we cruise. I will come back and let everyone know if they are there.