Epic's return to Miami?

estherhead

We are on the Epic next week and then driving to Orlando from Miami, renting a car at the Miami Airport. If I take my own luggage off what is my time range for getting off the boat? And I've taken a shuttle from Miami airport to the port but never the other way round.

Any info you can give me or tips would be awesome.

If you don't have to wait for an elevator (walk downstairs), and you get in line (about 7:00) when it starts (at least 30 min. before any announcement is made--wait in the atrium on deck 5 or at any bar on deck 6 to see what's happening), you should be in and out of the lines-disembarkation and passport control-in 30-40 minutes max. You should be in the taxi zone between 8:00-8:30. Obviously, this assumes you don't have any extraordinarily events.

Can't help with shuttle info. Cabs are about $25. (http://www.taxiautofare.com/us/taxi-fare/Miami-taxi-fare-from-miami-Cruise-terminal-to-miami-airport)

When we returned on the 23rd, it took longer to get out of the parking building than off the ship. All the payment machines were refusing credit cards so we all had to wait to pass by the one window.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by Rhea98

We just did this 2 days ago. We had reserved a car with Thrifty. We caught their free shuttle to MIA, then drove to Orlando. Be sure to pay for the pass thing for the toll road.

We got in the end of the walk off line at about 7:25, which was right when they started letting people off. We thought it would take forever, but we were outside waiting on the shuttle in 20 minutes.

Thanks! That's helpful. I'm meeting my kids at Disney World and it would be nice to have a two hour window of when we'll arrive. Looks like 12-2:00ish.

Yes. The Thrifty shuttles start running at 8. (It was reserved at the same time we reserved the car.) Ours pulled away from the port at about 8:10. We were seated at ESPN Club at Disney's Boardwalk by 12:30. I hope that helps!

Some of the car rental places rent from near the port, and have shuttles from the dock. The pricing might be way less since they do not have to pay airport fees. Check that out.

Yep. Budget is one of them. They are downtown on 2nd street, and basically a 5 minute ride from the port. They also have free shuttles. There are 2 other rental companies there, but I can't remember which. That's usually where we drop off/rent, but they were sold out this time when we tried to book (last minute). Definitely worth looking into.

Now that we've done it the MIA way though, we'd probably stick with that. It's only a few more minutes on the shuttle, and so much easier driving out of Miami from the airport than from downtown. But the prices might be better downtown.

Yep. Budget is one of them. They are downtown on 2nd street, and basically a 5 minute ride from the port. They also have free shuttles. There are 2 other rental companies there, but I can't remember which. That's usually where we drop off/rent, but they were sold out this time when we tried to book (last minute). Definitely worth looking into.

Now that we've done it the MIA way though, we'd probably stick with that. It's only a few more minutes on the shuttle, and so much easier driving out of Miami from the airport than from downtown. But the prices might be better downtown.

I got a really good deal ($40 with taxes and everything) at National at the airport. And I can drop it off at the WDW car rental place that's near MK. We're meeting my kids in MK so I'd kind of like to stick with that plan. Does National have shuttles from the port too? Do I need to reserve a spot on the shuttle or just show them my reservation like normal?

I got a really good deal ($40 with taxes and everything) at National at the airport. And I can drop it off at the WDW car rental place that's near MK. We're meeting my kids in MK so I'd kind of like to stick with that plan. Does National have shuttles from the port too? Do I need to reserve a spot on the shuttle or just show them my reservation like normal?

I definitely saw National shuttles. If I were you, I'd give that local office a call and ask about the shuttle - what time it runs, if they need your name, etc. That's what we did with ours, and the shuttle driver had our name and was expecting us. Different car company, but it might work the same.

Does National have shuttles from the port too? Do I need to reserve a spot on the shuttle or just show them my reservation like normal?

Yes, Alamo/National (they are essentially the same company along with Enterprise) have shared shuttle bus service between MIA RCC and POM. No reservations or other pre-arrangements needed, just have your rental return receipt (MIA to POM) or rental reservation (POM to MIA) on hand when entering the shuttle, the driver will check it.

I think the car rental shuttles are to local offices,not the airport.

Actually most of them go to MIA RCC (at least Alamo, National and Enterprise, not absolutely sure about current situation on Thrifty and Dollar), much better facilities and more space for the cars than in downtown locations - and as said earlier, not that much further away.

We did couple of rentals from Hertz's downtown location but quickly changed to Alamo at MIA because of much more convinient location and no queueing or waiting for the car outside like at Hertz downtown (the previous location, haven't tried the new one).

Edited by Demonyte

Oh, you mentioned Thrifty in an earlier post, I just read later ones without name. My bad. :)

That's okay. I should have put a wink.

After having done it both ways- airport and downtown, I agree with you that MIA is better/faster.