Carnival gift cards

billnheather

Just wondering why you would buy yourself a gift card just to have it applied as OBC? What's the purpose of buying the gift card when you can just use the cash as your OBC? And I'm not talking about when you get the gift cards at a discount but when paying full price at a retail store.

Edited by bonnie&clydecruzers

I've checked with all of the stores that supposedly sell them and so far, none of them carry it around here. I did check with the Verizon rewards program. They do offer 10% off but they only have the $100 cards. You have to use 1000 points for the 10% off.

The $100 Carnival card is featured but if you look under Gift Cards / Travel then you can also find $50 and $500 gift cards. All of them work out to $90 and 10000 points for each $100 purchased. They didn't have the $500 in time for my last cruise so I ended up booking my next cruise and paying off my OBC with multiple $100 cards.

Make sure to only get the eCards and not the Certificates. There are restrictions on the certificates.

• 4 weeks later...
Haven't found them in Michigan either.

I know that our Krogers has them. I live in Oakland County not sure what part of MI you live in but if you have a Krogers check there. We don't sail until Nov. so I am going to starting buying them every pay day now so that I have a good OBC and not have to worry about it in Nov.

Julie

They're available at Nashville area Krogers at the bottom of the rack near the airline cards such as Southwest. My TA told me they can't be used for deposits, but someone posted that when they booked directly with Carnival they were able to.

Roz

Southern California - In December I purchased a Carnival gift card before my 12/18 cruise at Ralphs in order to earn the gas points. It was a gift card that allowed me to tell the cashier how much I wanted on it. Went to guest services on cruise and applied it to S&S acct. Kroeger and Ralphs I believe are the same company so if they don't already have them they should be getting them soon. :)

Yes, Ralph's is under the Kroger umbrella, as is Meyer's and Fred's. Like you, I buy gift cards at Kroger to get the double (and sometimes quadruple) fuel points.

Roz

Just wondering why you would buy yourself a gift card just to have it applied as OBC? What's the purpose of buying the gift card when you can just use the cash as your OBC? And I'm not talking about when you get the gift cards at a discount but when paying full price at a retail store.

Reason I will purchase $1,000 in gift cards for to apply as OBC is two reasons..

1) It allows me to budget for on-board spending prior to my cruise, rather than having a large "surprising" bill when I get off the ship.

2) Hyvee (local grocery store in Midwest) offers $0.20 off per gallon of gas for every $100 spent in Gift Cards. So buying $1,000 would give me $2.00 off per gallon up to 20 gallon. Premium (93) right now is $2.23 meaning to fill-up my car would cost me $4.14 as opposed to $40.14. Not a ton of savings, but enough to make it worth it!

Have looked in Vons, Lowes, Target, WalMart, Sams Club, Albertsons, and Ralphs here in So Cal... No luck. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our friends in San Diego got us one for our ship board wedding this month. I haven't heard back from them where they found it though.

On our last cruise, I had almost $1,000 in onboard credit left over at the end of the cruise. I went to guest services and got it all in cash. It paid for much of our time the next week in Fiji while diving and getting married. I had bought a number of gift cards when Carnival was offering the great offer last fall.