Cruise Newbie

LEMJMcC

First time cruise coming up next month. Question: are the checked bags opened and searched or are they just scanned? Seems like taking an iron is out of the question, but I was wondering how they find it in the checked baggage. How would they find bottled water if I put some in my checked bags? I'm not keen on teh idea of having someone rummage through my personal belongings.

I presume they do open and search carry-on bags.

Thanks.

So, what's the best solution to wrinkled dress clothes for the formal dinner? Any idea what they charge to press pants and shirts?

I normally pack REALLY carefully, and still leave our clothes to flatten out while we are showering.

But I've wanted to try to get a bottle of wrinkle out spray. It's been suggested a few times here and apparently works really well. I've seen them at the local drug store in travel sizes.

There's a manned table of tagged, confiscated items waiting for folks to claim when they disembark. The table is full of irons. Try hanging the clothes in the bathroom with a hot shower running.

Also, we have packed bottled water in both the checked bags and carry-ons with no issues at all. Two bottles of wine per cabin is allowed, as well.

Edited by wingedpigskin

I normally pack REALLY carefully, and still leave our clothes to flatten out while we are showering.

But I've wanted to try to get a bottle of wrinkle out spray. It's been suggested a few times here and apparently works really well. I've seen them at the local drug store in travel sizes.

My bottle of "wrinkle out" is a regular spray bottle that I fill with tap water and use to lightly mist and then hang my clothes -- usually works like a charm. Can't hurt to also hang them in a steamy bathroom.

On our last cruise (on disney, not royal), our checked bags arrived at our room with a nifty sticker saying they had been inspected by security dogs! there was a pic of a german shepherd on the sticker. the contents seemed intact and organized, though - if security took anything out, they put it back pretty neatly. i have also watched from my balcony as the dogs sniff supplies being loaded onto the ship. so, you never know who or what is going to inspect your bag! i imagine at the very least your checked bags will be x-rayed.

carryons are x-rayed. fwiw, we always carry a 6-pack of water bottles in our carryon, and have never had them confiscated. some folks on here have reported having them confiscated during spring break, but that's usually the only time.

downy wrinkle releaser is awesome (and actually smells pretty good). if you don't want to deal with that, hanging clothes in a steamy bathroom works, too, as others have mentioned.

First, LOCK your checked luggage! They have NO RIGHT to paw through your stuff. If there is some sort of question about what's in your bags, they will call you to check it.

Many of the items they don't allow are because of their bottom line...they want you to pay for whatever you aren't allowed to bring.

Lock your bags....do NOT use TSA locks...it's not required or a law at all. If they want to check something, they will have to physically get you to open your luggage.

If something is questionable in any of your bags, they will call your cabin and ask you to come to "The Naughty Room". You will be asked to open your bag and explain what it is they have found objectionable. If there is something there that is not allowed, it will be confiscated. If you can't live without a specific beverage, get a drinks card. My DW uses crochet hooks and such for the craft classes and a small scissors. She was once called to "The Room ", it is usually behind the Customer Service desk. Rules are rules, for whatever reason, go along to get along. Not a big deal. If you want bottled water bring on a whole case of 24. Want some wine? bring along your 2 bottles and drink them in your cabin. Otherwise, NOBODY really want's to check out your dudds. Have a great time and don't sweat the small stuff. just REMEMBER to bring your boarding pass printed with the documents in the cruise personalizer.

Edited by CharlesOK
spelling edit

Although policies state you can't bring this and that, often things are overlooked such as bottled water. We have always put some bottles of water in our checked bags, no issues, no confiscation... I think it is there to boost there sales of Evain bottle water. Yep, irons are a big no no listed, our friend had her confiscated on her one and only cruise, forgot to get it at the end of the cruise, RCCL mailed it back to her.

Now steamers for wrinkled clothes are another item not listed but kinda fall under the guise of things that heat up. There is a whole thread on that one and suggestions of one to buy. We are going to get one for our next cruise and see what happens. Out of all the comments made only one negative of having theirs confiscated from checked luggage so not bad odds it seems.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2133928

http://www.amazon.com/My-Little-Stea...Travel+Steamer

First time cruise coming up next month. Question: are the checked bags opened and searched or are they just scanned? Seems like taking an iron is out of the question, but I was wondering how they find it in the checked baggage. How would they find bottled water if I put some in my checked bags? I'm not keen on teh idea of having someone rummage through my personal belongings.

I presume they do open and search carry-on bags.

Thanks.

Edited by scottrn7

We put little cable tie wraps on our suitcases (they fit in the zippers like locks) and we've never had any of them broken. Of course, we don't have anything in our suitcases that looks suspicious either. They are easy to cut off with a finger nail clipper that is allowed as a pocket item. They're easy to carry and use.

http://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-43036-Cable-4inch/dp/B0002GX1XA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1417761143&sr=8-3&keywords=tie+wraps

They are also easy to cut should there ever be a reason for security to look inside, but, like I said, we've never had that happen going onto the ship so we mostly lock them just to keep honest people honest. And, it kind of makes us feel safer... a little. At least we'd know if someone did get into one of the cases.

Tom