Ways to Southampton from London?

TheCruisingQueen

I am booking a cruise on the Queen Elizabeth in June, departing from Southampton. However, I am not clear whether or not Cunard has a shuttle service out to Southampton or if there is other ways I can get out there myself. Preferably not driving as I am from the right side of ways here in North America! Also, this will be my first time on a Cunard ship...thoughts about the QE?

The Cruising Queen

NCL Jewel 2009

NCL Epic 2011

RCCL Allure OTS 2011

Celebrity Equinox 2012

Carnival Glory 2012

Celebrity Reflection 2013

Celebrity Solstice 2013

RCCL Radiance OTS 2014

When I arrived in Southampton a couple of weeks ago, I took the train to London - Waterloo Station. They seemed to run pretty frequently. You can check the schedule online with National Rail.

The Southampton Central Station is a simple taxi ride from the port.

I am booking a cruise on the Queen Elizabeth in June, departing from Southampton. However, I am not clear whether or not Cunard has a shuttle service out to Southampton or if there is other ways I can get out there myself. Preferably not driving as I am from the right side of ways here in North America! Also, this will be my first time on a Cunard ship...thoughts about the QE?

The Cruising Queen

NCL Jewel 2009

NCL Epic 2011

RCCL Allure OTS 2011

Celebrity Equinox 2012

Carnival Glory 2012

Celebrity Solstice 2013

RCCL Radiance OTS 2014

We have cruised both to and from Southampton. Initially we took a cab from the airport the first time, worked out well. Negotiated a price with the taxi before getting in and were very happy with this arrangement, don't recall what we paid. After flying from San Francisco, staying one night at a airport hotel, we are more than happy to pay the cost of a taxi so we enjoy the trip to the ship.

Learned about Smithstotheairport, a private car service one can booked on line in advance on cruise critic. From that point one we always book with this service. About the same price and again makes for a very pleasant journey either to or from the ship.

There are other less expensive ways to get there but these work best for us.

If you check out the web site for smithstotheairport.com you will be able to get a price quote. It has been a few years since we have booked this service.

The Cruising Queen

NCL Jewel 2009

NCL Epic 2011

RCCL Allure OTS 2011

Celebrity Equinox 2012

Carnival Glory 2012

Celebrity Solstice 2013

RCCL Radiance OTS 2014

I forgot to comment on the QE. We are new to Cunard. Did two cruises on the QV, sister ship to the QE a few years ago, loved it. In fact we booked two cruises within 6 months because we enjoyed the ship so much. Seriously considering doing a Panama Canal cruise on the QE in the future. We just booked a 14 night New York to Quebec City round trip on the QM2 for this fall.

We have been cruising for a number of years, really like the more formal atmosphere on Cunard, found the service, food and entertainment all excellent on the cruised we took.

I see you have cruised NCL in the past, we have too. Cunard and NCL are like opposites. NCL is the least formal of any cruise line we have go on, we typically cruise Princess, Holland America, Celebrity. We did NCL - Jade a year ago - it was okay but does not really compare when it comes to food and service to the other lines, we found the cabin and layout of the cabin, we had a mini suite to be very nice and comparible. NCL is a lot less expensive too so we felt we got what we paid for on that trip.

Hope these comments help... if you have other questions feel free to ask.

We also have used Smithsforairports several times, both to/from London and Southampton. We will be using them London to Southampton in January and they have quoted us 77 pounds for the trip. They are great and very professional! If you just go to their website and request a quote they get back to you quickly.

Another satisfied customer of smithsforairports. They will be picking me up at LHR again in January.

I can also highly recommend the QE. I spent four months on her earlier this year and will spend more time on her in January (I wish it was going to be longer). Have you looked at megacruisers review? Great pictures and commentary.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2117605

There is a bus direct from each terminal at Heathrow. To Southampton - national express less than 2 h - not glamorous but fast and exceptionally easy with no changes ...you will need a cab from the bus terminal in Southampton to the train (not far at all but not an easy walk with luggage).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There's fast train from Waterloo @10:35 to Southampton Central; I think there is another 1 hour later. Stay in the rear of the train and you'll stop opposite the WAY OUT and the Taxi rank is just a few steps along-there are always cabs on sailing days. Travel well.

Many prefer to wrestle bags via train to Soton, then taxi to pier.

Many prefer hire cars. Smiths is perfectly fine.

I prefer "The Cunard Connection"'. A coach from Victoria Coach Station the morning of your voyage. Talk to your agent. It is inexpensive, Cunard attendants helping you at the gate. No need to hassle bags, they are loaded for you, the next time you see/touch them is in your cabin.

It could not be easier. Coach is in touch/w ship, no problems if weather or traffic dicey. Trip takes about two easy hours. I've used the Connection for all four Queens (RIP QE2), wouldn't go any other way. Hire cars are fine but you meet interesting folk on the coach. Look into it. :)