EWR to Port of Manhattan?

Newbcruiser1

Hi everyone,

I'm considering a solo cruise on the Breakaway next weekend. I would be flying in to EWR a day prior to the cruise, and staying in a nearby airport hotel. I gather the best way to get to the port would be the NJ Transit Train from the airport via the AirTrain? Then a taxi from Penn Station?

Can anyone shed any light on how do-able this is with a large suitcase, solo? Is there elevator/escalator access at all points? Would it be a logistical nightmare?

Any idea of the cost of a taxi from Penn Station to the port? And are taxi's usually easy to get post-cruise to Penn Station for the reverse trip?

Thanks in advance!

Hi everyone,

I'm considering a solo cruise on the Breakaway next weekend. I would be flying in to EWR a day prior to the cruise, and staying in a nearby airport hotel. I gather the best way to get to the port would be the NJ Transit Train from the airport via the AirTrain? Then a taxi from Penn Station?

Can anyone shed any light on how do-able this is with a large suitcase, solo? Is there elevator/escalator access at all points? Would it be a logistical nightmare?

Any idea of the cost of a taxi from Penn Station to the port? And are taxi's usually easy to get post-cruise to Penn Station for the reverse trip?

Thanks in advance!

There is elevator/escalator access WTC all points. However, you actually might find it easier to take the airport bus which is slightly more expensive than the train at $16 one way and $28 round trip. These buses stop at each airport terminal and have under the bus luggage storage. They drop off on the street outside Port Authority bus terminal where you can get a cab to the port for $10-12.

The problem with Penn Station is that you have to get from the lower level train platform up escalators or elevators to the main station level, negotiate the main station level and then exit up long escalators to the street level to hail a cab. Cab fare would be in the $12-15 range.

What hotel are you staying at? What day of the week would you be doing this?

Sorry - I just realized you answered my question about the price! :)

An alternative would be to fly into JFK on the day of the cruise on the earliest flight out. Any thoughts on getting from JFK to the cruise terminal? Type and cost of transportation?

Thanks again!

Sorry - I just realized you answered my question about the price! :)

An alternative would be to fly into JFK on the day of the cruise on the earliest flight out. Any thoughts on getting from JFK to the cruise terminal? Type and cost of transportation?

Thanks again!

Sunday is a good day for the bus because it is the lightest traffic day and you are much less likely to encounter traffic in the Lincoln .tunnel.

Cab fares are fixed from JFK to Manhattan - I don't remember the exact amount but it's a bit over $50 plus tolls and tip. Plan on $70ish. A car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo would be good as well and competitive with a cab.

Thanks again for the info!

If you were between flying in the day before the cruise and taking either the bus or train and then taxi from EWR on the Sunday, OR flying into JFK on the day of cruise, landing at 8am and taking a taxi... which would you suggest?

Obviously safer to fly in the day before, however I'm looking at about $150 for the hotel, plus the train/taxi fare (total about $180), versus the $60ish taxi fare from JFK on the day of.

I'm trusting the expert on this one! :)

What's the Toronto and NY weather this weekend?

It's a short flight. Are there other potential backup flights that morning? It's a low travel time in general.

The usual advice is to come in the day before, but I always take the cruise bus from Boston to Cape Liberty the morning of the cruise. You have the advantage of having a good idea about the weather, which is an advantage of booking a last minute cruise.

It's not until next Sunday, but it looks clear... for now! LOL! We all know how things can change at the last minute though!

In your opinion, is the trip to the cruise terminal easier from EWR or JFK? (I wouldn't want to chance flying into EWR on the day of the cruise because I know it could be a longer trip over, and there aren't any early enough flights into LGA the same day... so my options are really EWR the day before and stay at the Hampton, or JFK the day of).

I understand that it's closer, but I think taking either the train or the bus from EWR (with the potential to have to wait half an hour...) and then getting a taxi at either Penn station or the port authority will take longer. And I can't get an early enough flight the same day into EWR to risk that (nothing that lands before 11am, versus landing at 8am at JFK).

In the end it depends on your risk tolerance. If you miss the ship out of NY, it will be three days before you can catch up and the cruise is half over. Once you are in the NY area, you should be able to get to the port one way or another even if you spend a little extra time doing it. Did you buy insurance that covers travel delays?

Look at aa.com for a better price on the Hampton Inn for your date.

I don't like coming down from Boston to Cape Liberty the morning of the cruise, but I do it often enough since it's the only way that makes sense. However, I'm close enough to NY that I have the option of driving down early to avoid snow events and I have a place to stay and leave my car in the NY metro area if necessary. For future cruises I am flying Portland OR to LA the morning of a cruise and will probably do the same Boston to San Juan for another cruise that has a late departure time. These are longer cruises and I buy insurance to cover travel delays, so if I miss a day or two, it's not a disaster.